Do you agree with "There are no stupid questions" statement?

Do you agree with "There are no stupid questions" statement?

• Yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Reg Morrison

In this age of political correctness, one of the things that irks me is the

"there are no stupid questions"

statement. In my mind, there are stupid questions and, while people should not be chastised for asking them, pretending that there are no stupid questions is silly and just another platitude people say but don't really mean....

What do you think?

It is possible someone will say: that is a stupid question to ask

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I base the answer on "there are no stupid questions" on who is asking the question:

An employee asks (honestly looking for the answer): "What is 2 + 2" because he/she is not willing to figure it out.

Vs.

A 4 year old asking "what is 2 + 2"

I will help the 4 year old, while I think the question is stupid for the employee to ask.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
While there are definitely situations where someone might ask a question to which they could easily have obtained an answer online, or to which with a little serious thought they could have reasoned it out for themselves, I (in the role of instructor, facilitator, etc.) still use this phrase because, if I don't, serious questions often go unasked for fear of appearing stupid. I would rather deal with a few irritating questions than allow a single serious question go unanswered.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
There are no stupid questions because there are no "know all, tell all" people ...
We see the question only, but seldom get to know the context of the question and the background from which the person comes up with one.
The branding of a question as stupid stems from purely our own understanding.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
While there are definitely situations where someone might ask a question to which they could easily have obtained an answer online, or to which with a little serious thought they could have reasoned it out for themselves, I (in the role of instructor, facilitator, etc.) still use this phrase because, if I don't, serious questions often go unasked for fear of appearing stupid. I would rather deal with a few irritating questions than allow a single serious question go unanswered.
Yes - that's the purpose of the saying.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z How to Contractually Agree on Specifications for Raw Material Purchases Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
P Safety Signs - Do you agree that safety signs should be uncluttered? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Must I agree to an IATF Witness Audit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
P Do You Agree: Older People Are More Innovative Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
Jim Wynne Ford, UAW agree to offer buyouts to ALL hourly employees World News 0
Scott Catron Stupid Password Tricks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
T Taking Multiple Certifications within 2 weeks - Crazy, Stupid or Wise Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
J Calibration and Customer 'Requirements' - Something Stupid Beyond Belief General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 40
SteelMaiden Stupid Criminal Tricks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Cal 133 flammability standard - Medical Devices - Stupid Customer Tricks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Howard Lee No Stupid Questions!!!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 53
G Acronym KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
Wes Bucey Does your company do something this stupid? World News 86
G Using ASCII Codes - Split from "Stupid criminal of the week" thread After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
G Stupid criminal of the week Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 17
R Stupid Responses to CARs - Long Term Corrections or Root Causes Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 47
Marc Stupid Security Winners Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Stupid Company Tricks 101 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
A Stupid Question of the Day - Start at section 4 or section 5? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Quality Metrics Questions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Medical Device Identification & Codes - Article 27 Requirements questions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485:2016 name and ownership changes questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational EU – EMA revised guidance – Questions & Answers on Implementation of the Medical Devices and In Vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices Regulations ((EU) 201 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 v2 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Framing FDA Questions - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Accreditation Scheme for Conformity Assessment (ASCA) Pilot Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Barcoding questions - Is there a plain English primer for newbies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions about the contents of a Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-6 Questions and answers: Requirements relating to notified bodies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5