Do you know this registrar? --> Professional Quality Assessments

K

Katydid

I just received a registration certificate from PQA (Professional Quality Assessments). I am in the USA and the company who sent me their "registration certificate" is from Colorado, USA. The address on the bottom of the cert is from North Yorkshire, England.

I can't find this company on the web, nor can I find them listed as a registrar on the QSU Publishing website as a registrar. Any one heard of the ASCB(E) or Quality and Business Standards Alliance? These two "accredidation bodies" are on the certificate, but I am not familiar with them, perhaps they are in England ????

Anyway, dopes anyone know if PQA is accredited to audit in the US by ANSI RAB or not? I tried the search but it failed. I think I'll ask for a survey from this vendor unless you guys have more input!

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
They're not UKAS accredited and UKAS is the accreditation authority for the UK and they're not ANAB accredited either.

How much did you pay for that thing?

K

Katydid

I didn't pay a thing, but my new vendor is trying to send it to me as proof of their registration. I just got off the phone with the California office and they say that the ASCB(E) has accredited them as an international registrar. Boy I am getting confused. The gentleman stated that now that ISO9001:2000 is international, if you are accredited in one country, it covers the world since it is an international standard.

What the heck? Is the PQA guy in California right?

Randy

Super Moderator
Ask who accredits the ASCB(E) and where their accreditation guidelines come from.

I smell barnyard bagels myself.

I could use my existing corporate structure (not in anyway related to my present employer folks and yes I am incorporated), claim to be an accreditation body, start another corporation and claim to be an accredited registrar, issue certificates and nobody can do diddly about it.

Basically someone can make up some pretty papers with high sounding words and Wham-Bam-Thank You Mam.....without you ever being kissed in the process.

Colorful, blunt and horrendously true

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
stop the madness

As discussed several times in the Cove, Accreditation and Certification are non regulated acitivities and, like Randy says, ANYBODY can establish an accreditation body and a certification body.

If you want the ISO perspective, check http://www.iso.org/iso/en/info/ISODirectory/intro.html and check this paragraph
Additional confidence may be derived from the fact that some certification bodies (“registrars”) are accredited by nationally or internationally recognized accreditation bodies, who verify the certification body’s independence and competence to carry out the certification process. Many accreditation bodies have multi-lateral arrangements under the umbrella of the IAF (International Accreditation Forum) to promote worldwide mutual recognitions in support of WTO (World Trade Organization) free trade principles.
from http://www.iso.org/iso/en/iso9000-14000/explore/9001supchain.html#5

For the most part, when people talk about an accredited registrar, they are referring to a registrar accredited under an IAF signatory Accreditation Body http://www.compad.com.au/cms/iaf/articles/145
Remeber a few years ago an agency called IAR wanted to become an accreditation body that would allow registrars to keep issuing 1994 Edition based certificates. Where are they now?

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
To put mine and Sidney's responses in perspective katydid you need to understand that we both work for accredited registration/certification bodies. Though we are business competitors we share the same basic values and are highly protective of our industry as are a couple of the other regulars here in the cove that work for registration bodies as we do.

When we see or hear of organizations that may be passing on a sow's ear for a silk purse it troubles us. Each of our organizations strives to maintain the integrity of our industry. We (our employers actually) are subject to 3rd party assessment from our accreditation body and Sidney's employer like mine is subject to multiple visits because of the numerous accreditations we hold from various international bodies. We are held to a recognized and tough international standard governing our operations and service delivery.

Before I drop a dime I'd ask for specific and solid proof of accreditation from a "recognized" organization that subscribes to "recognized" standards of conduct and delivery.

K

Katydid

Well, after much searching, I still can't find Professional Quality Assessments (PQA), the third party registrar; nor can I find either of the accredidations listed on the cert from my supplier, ASCB(E) or Quality And Business Standards Alliance on any normal registration verification sites.

Look at the "Certification Service" offered by QBSA: http://www.qbsa.org/

I also ran into this international registry that is recommended by ASCB(E). Anyone ever used this list, or trusted it???? My supplier is listed, but I still don't recognize the source. http://www.irqao.com/

Just to be safe, I am having the supplier complete a vendor survey before I add them to the approved list, and I will be sending them an e-mail with some links to United States Registries to show them that they are not on the list so they can re-consider their registrar.

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to be sure I was right in questioning the vendor's credentials. The good news is that this is the first vendor registration cert out of about 150 that I have had to question. Some of us still take the time to look.

Thanks again!

Randy

Super Moderator
Interesting tidbits....

PQA International has recently been joined by Joanne McCulley - a registered lead auditor who will provide permanent representation in the United States, in addition to Stuart Powell's presence for six months per annum.

Joanne began auditing in 1997 when she certified as an auditor. She graduated from Ambassador University in Texas with a Bachelor of Arts degree. Joanne's prior experience includes 18 years in program development, documentation, communication & implementation for clients in a broad spectrum of industries.

Ambassador University is closed.
Notice to all former students of Ambassador College, Ambassador University, and Imperial Schools
The academic records are now located at the Worldwide Church of God headquarters in Pasadena, California. Please make requests for academic transcripts or other related documents from the above-mentioned educational institutions using the contact information below.

Ambassador University
Registrar
P.O. Box 2241
Pasadena, CA 91102

Downloaded directly from ASCB(E) website

GENERAL INFORMATION : Becoming Accredited

TYPICAL APPLICATION AND ACCREDITATION SEQUENCE FOR CERTIFYING BODIES

1 Initial enquiry.
2 Preliminary response by ASCB(E)Ltd.
3 Submission of application request together with administration fee. PLEASE NOTE. Applicants are expected to comply with the requirements of ISO 45012 and to be working towards compliance with ISO 17021 (Draft). Personnel competence will require demonstration.
4 Application process by ASCB(E) and performance of accreditation routines dependent upon assessment and certifying standards. Assessment visits will not be chargeable, but full travel and accommodation costs will be born by the applicant for which payment is required beforehand. A typical process is as follows:-
o Send ASCB(E) your Manual and procedures and blank copies of forms.
o We shall review and comment. If necessary we will require you to amend and respond before the next step.
o Demonstrate impartiality of your organization in respect of independence from 'related bodies' and that it is a single legal entity
o For the first six assessments you must advise ASCB(E) before hand that you intend to carry out an assessment.
o You send us photocopies / e-mails of all the documents related to those assessment and certification assignments demonstrating compliance with the documents that we had earlier reviewed.
o We shall issue a draft accreditation certificate. Your accreditation reference will be defined at this time. This will be subject to a satisfactory site witness of your activity.
o ASCB(E) witnesses your next assessment and certification activity.
o You conduct a further four assessments and send us copies of the paperwork.
o We witness the next convenient assessment.
During the course of the preceding actions we would have expected to conduct several face to face meetings and visits to your operating premises.

5 Issue of accreditation certificate if appropriate.
o You continue to assess and certificate but don't need to send paperwork.
o You must advise weekly on our Form 4 of all the certifications that you have conducted.
o We will monitor the level of your activity and conduct accreditation reviews to suit.
o You must inform us of all certification activity.
o Following advise from you that a certificate has been issued; ASCB(E) will send an Accreditation Certificate to your client underpinning your own certification activity.

6 Ongoing surveillance and accreditation including allocation of accreditation numbers.

TYPICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR ASSESSED ORGANISATIONS
(Not applicable to personnel registration systems)

Registration applies to the listing of assessed firms/suppliers by the certifying body.

1 Certifying body requests preliminary registration number from ASCB(E)Ltd. Required information by ASCB(E) is:-
o Name and phone number of client/supplier together with name of quality representative.
o Applicable standard (Typically ISO 9001)
o Applicable scope of client/supplier and SIC
o Probable date of certification.

2 Certifying body confirms payment method: either
o Certifying Body pays ASCB(E)Ltd
o Client/supplier pays ASCB(E)Ltd. If client pays then:-

2a ASCB(E)Ltd send Order Acknowledgement and invoice to assessed client/supplier confirming future accredited certification status.

3 Certifying Body confirms that assessed firm/supplier is certificated.

4 The preliminary registration number is confirmed by ASCB(E)Ltd. with the Certifying Body and client/supplier.

5 Financial processing begins: either ASCB(E)Ltd invoice certifying body at month end or, ASCB(E)Ltd progress payment from assessed firm/supplier.

N.B. Unauthorised use of the ASCB(E)Ltd logo could constitute a criminal offence and render any user liable to prosecution via Trading Standards officials.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Katydid said:
Just to be safe, I am having the supplier complete a vendor survey before I add them to the approved list,
Katy, no disrespect intended, but "vendor surveys" are one of my pet peeves. Can you please explain to me why you would have more confidence on a vendor, after they answer a survey?

Randy, I sense a change of tone. By providing the information, are you promoting this accreditation body as an alternative to ANAB? Or the IAF signatory ones?

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Absolutely not! I'm reaffirming what we have both said about what's going on and the simple process involved. (We know better)

I checked the "accreditation body" website and found this tidbit along with some additional diatribes about monoplies and all that. They of course make no mention of IAF and Multi-lateral agreements or the other things that we're aware of. The AB site does list "accredited" bodies and they have a program for certifying auditors as well to their specifications (whatever those are)

Katydid you need to make your own decision about the subject, but base it on good soild evidence..take me out of your decision process because I'm not what you could call totally objective on this subject.

I don't have to see a pile of krap to know it's around when I smell it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Professional Liability Insurance - Have been asked by a registrar to obtain! Consultants and Consulting 16
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Answered; Registrar Dropped ISO 14971 Certification Program; What Now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B TS 16949 Auditor Availability and Registrar Scheduling Delays Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S QSB+ revoked - Notify registrar, what's next? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P Which TS 16949 registrar do you use? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
V Our Registrar has been Suspended AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Registrar Gap Assessments AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M How to find a Good Registrar (Certification Body) for ISO TS 16949 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S Which is the "Best" Registrar Accreditation Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R "Use of Registrar's Logo" question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Registrar Finding - Hair Nets and Beard Covers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 9001 Documents for Submission to the Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 78
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Registrar Auditor Credentials Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Major NC downgraded to Minor by Registrar during Re-Visit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10