Do You Look at Your Registrar as a Supplier?

M

M Greenaway

Does anyone out there view their registrar as a supplier ?

If so what supplier assessment do you conduct ?

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure) ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
yes-that would be fun

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure) ?
I think it's a great idea, but not always practical. I can just see it now, telling the boss I have to make a trip east to audit our registrar- I'm sure I would get "What - are you NUTS?" To which I would just politely nod my head.

CarolX

A

Al Dyer

The registrar supplies a service that is directly related to the quality/management system. I would surely have them on the supplier list and let them hang themselves if they don't answer you supplier questionairre or whatever tool you use to monitor suppliers.

My not so humble opinion!:(

E

energy

Not good

Originally posted by Al Dyer
The registrar supplies a service that is directly related to the quality/management system. I would surely have them on the supplier list and let them hang themselves if they don't answer you supplier questionairre or whatever tool you use to monitor suppliers.
My not so humble opinion!:(
They may be on your supplier's list, but to atagonize them is akin to asking a policeman to see his identification as he orders you out of your car because you're naked in a school zone! If it's the first year of a three year contract, it's akin to the above, except you are also holding hands with your cocker spaniel who is dressed up in a red babydoll nightgown. Unless, you have lots of cash to get another registrar and go for the whole certification again, be careful about beating them up like you would do to your normal suppliers. When I choose a registrar, they will be treated like a Customer, no matter who's paying. No one is squeaky clean and you may need some cooperation. You get what you give. JMHO.
:ko::smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

M Greenaway

A relationship with your suppliers can be as productive and co-operative as the relationship you would like to have with your customers.

But yes I am sure it would be seen as antagonistic, and would probably deteriorate after a short while, even with the best intentions.

I guess it is right to treat them as a customer as they are in effect the customers representative (even if they have no idea what the customer actually wants of the product).

Still its nice to dream.

A

Aaron Lupo

Yes, you should treat your Registrar as a supplier. You should put them through the same qualifying process you would any critical supplier. When I do certification/surveillance audits, I check to see that the registrar is on the approved supplier list, if not I let them know they should be. Should you audit them, IMHO I would say no. You are already paying enough for some of these registrars services, let them come to you. Should you interview them have them visit you, have them fill out a supplier qualification form yes! If they see it an antagonizing then I would not use them. Yes, it is a delicate relationship, but they are not special. If they screw up call them on it, they would you wouldn’t they. I let our current registrar know in no uncertain terms they are not meeting our expectations, and that I am very unhappy with their current services. Not the auditors they are sending us, but the office staff. Don’t be afraid of your registrar.

E

energy

Okay!

Originally posted by ISO GUY
Yes, you should treat your Registrar as a supplier. You should put them through the same qualifying process you would any critical supplier. When I do certification/surveillance audits, I check to see that the registrar is on the approved supplier list, if not I let them know they should be. Should you audit them, IMHO I would say no. You are already paying enough for some of these registrars services, let them come to you. Should you interview them have them visit you, have them fill out a supplier qualification form yes! If they see it an antagonizing then I would not use them. Yes, it is a delicate relationship, but they are not special. If they screw up call them on it, they would you wouldn’t they. I let our current registrar know in no uncertain terms they are not meeting our expectations, and that I am very unhappy with their current services. Not the auditors they are sending us, but the office staff. Don’t be afraid of your registrar.
You just remember that!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Registrar Selection

Originally posted by M Greenaway

Does anyone out there view their registrar as a supplier?
Yes.
If so what supplier assessment do you conduct ?

I think its a great idea to go and audit your registrar - is this just stupidly asking for trouble, or could there be any real benefit (other than personal pleasure)?
Personal pleasure, I guess. I can't see a reason to visit them. I would expect evidence on your end that they were evaluated and to be an approved supplier and what criteria you used. I would see the criteria as being mostly a financial decision as all registrars will have the basic requirement - that they are 'certified' to register companies by the IRAC or RAB or what/whoever. But - some companies, for example, include 'national prominance' or 'international prominance' - this may be part of your requirements. I had a client which wanted UL because they believed UL to be "...unimpeachable..." if trouble came up (shades of Arthur Anderson?). In their case, that was not a documented requirement but probably should have been... :rolleyes:

Randy

Super Moderator
Registrars get audited too. Normally their accreditation body does it I guess. A few months ago I was hired by a Registrar to do a 3rd party audit of their operation. I did it and the results became part of thier record and then the whole C&P action stuff took place. I had to verify that the C&P was accomplished satisfactorily. Maybe some other folks here have done that also.

I think for the most part Registrars are made up of good folks that want to and actually do the right thing. We need to remember that they are in business like everyone else to generate cash flow. Of all organizations, Registrars should and most possibly would understand the need to meet the supplier criteria of the folks they service. I'm not defending anybody...let's say I'm being a "Devil's Advocate"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Is a Domain Registrar a Critical Supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Contacting a "Must Use" (aka Sole Source) Supplier's Registrar Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Q Supplier evaluation for registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
T Do I need to approve my Registrar and include them in the Approved Supplier List? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Sidney Vianna Do you scrutinize your supplier's choice of certification body (registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
Sidney Vianna Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection? Registrars and Notified Bodies 88
M Registrar requiring sub-supplier management Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
C Approved supplier/vendor - How do I approve my Registrar? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E Choosing an ISO 9001 registrar with auditors familiar with our industry Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Audit boundaries - Is a Registrar permitted to audit a company's QMS by visiting their suppliers? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
Jen Kirley Is your registrar (CB) accredited? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 9
K Seeking ISO 13485 Registrar Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
P Notify Registrar of Escalation letter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M New AS9100 Registrar - Recommendations for Transfer Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Notifying Registrar of Significant QMS changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A ISO 9001:2015 registrar Auditor requesting copies of procedure prior to audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
1 ISO Registrar with waste water treatment experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How can a company transfer their AS certificate from a suspended AS91XX registrar? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
F Which Medical Device Standard Registrar would you recommend? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
WCHorn Transfering certificate from Registrar "A" to Registrar "B" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Registrar Practices - Audit Plan with Scope, Dates/Times, etc. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
V Under what circumstances will a Registrar Audit a Company? (ISO 13485 - Canada) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
A AS9100 Registrar Expense Report Practices Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Answered; Registrar Dropped ISO 14971 Certification Program; What Now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
L Registrar Audit Scope and Limits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B TS 16949 Auditor Availability and Registrar Scheduling Delays Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S QSB+ revoked - Notify registrar, what's next? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P Which TS 16949 registrar do you use? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
V Our Registrar has been Suspended AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Registrar Gap Assessments AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M How to find a Good Registrar (Certification Body) for ISO TS 16949 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S Which is the "Best" Registrar Accreditation Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R "Use of Registrar's Logo" question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Registrar Finding - Hair Nets and Beard Covers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9