Do you need FMEA for QS 9000

C

Christian Lupo

FMEA's are necessary before you can be QS-9000 registered. FMEA's can be one of the most useful requirements of the standard.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Both Design and Process FMEAs are required.

Don't forget control plans and the entire APQP process. In addition, you must be a tier 1 to Ford, GM and/or Chrysler or the requirement must be flowed down. It's not a 'cake walk'.

D

Dawn

I have been led to believe FMEA's are required only when requested by the customer. I do not have my FMEA book with me, but this also has been verified with consultants. Am I in for a rude awakening? FMEA's are very good for a company, but also very costly to a small comapany;extremely time consuming.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
QS9000 unambiguously requires:

Design FMEA
Process FMEA
Process Control Plan
Process Flow Diagram

No exceptions.

What consultant says you can register to QS9000 without these documents?

I beg to differ with you about the cost. If you do your documentation on your equipment you only do it once. Thereafter there will be regular minor updates as problems are solved and as other problems surface - but the main work is done during the initial effort.

Yes - if you believed otherwise you are in for a surprise. I know of no company which has been excused from this with the exception of design FMEAs for designs older than 5 years - which is in its self suspect, actually.

ISO9001 does NOT specifically require them but it does required a defined design process.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 10-04-98).]

C

Christian Lupo

Listen to Marc and not your consultant. PPAP requires FMEA. It may be implied in other areas but if you read the PPAP manual FMEA is required.

Although I agree that FMEA's are time consuming they save so much time and money in the long run, they are well worth the effort. An ounce of prevention.....

B

BRoyal

I work in procurement quality in aerospace, a fairly long way from QS9000. Many of my suppliers are small jobs shops, 10-25 employees.

However, when working with the quality managers, I haul out the QS manuals on FMEA and APQP and touch on some of the concepts.

The manuals present logical and structured approach to providing quality product that, in the long run, is cheaper for the supplier and my company.

By no means do I expect them to do full blown FMEAs, control plans, etc.;I may order 250 separate parts a year from a shop in small lots of 6 - 12 pieces.

But manuals do get the management of these small shops thinking about quality from a systems/process approach. And that can hurt either of us.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Dawn,

You wouldn't need FMEAs for every shop order on the floor. Compliance is determined by your PPAP/APQP records. You need to produce Design and Process FMEAs as part of your PPAP preparation and submittal for products sold to your OEM. They are living documents that need to be revisited periodically to determine if RPN values have changed and that all possibilities have been considered.

As others have stated before, this is a great tool in risk analysis for any product, OEM or otherwise. I recommend them strongly. Good luck.

B

Bryon C Simmons

Hi.

My company ( job shop environment), produces an average of 100 different part numbers a day. We are QS-9000 compliant, etc. etc. I do NOT have FMEA, etc. for everything. It would take me years to do that.

What I have done, is what was mentioned....for jobs that are sold DIRECTLY to Chrysler/Ford/GM...for PPAP purposes, I have FMEA, etc. This constitutes about 50 different FMEA/Control Plans for me. I am starting to get requests from other non-Big Three customers, requesting FMEA.....my database is starting to grow. A good, well-planned FMEA can work wonders for you. It is a good practice to get into. Also, Ford requires that Ford engineers sign off on your FMEA/Control Plans. Don't forget that.

As part of your normal APQP activities, you would be developing FMEA and Control Plans.....especially if you submit for PPAP.

Hope this helps.

Bryon

Top Bottom