SBS - The best value in QMS software

Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA

david316

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

An example of a template for a design FMEA is given in

FMEA 4th Edition Blank P and D FMEA sheets in Excel .xls spreadsheets

One part I am struggling with is when you do a design FMEA at the component level, do you need to define the requirements for a component. At the company I work for, we very rarely define requirements down to a level that you have precise requirements for a specific part. In reality we have a high level requirement that drives a lot of design and is an input into a lot of components. When we are doing an FMEA at a component level we can still identify the function a part it supposed to do (e.g. fail of a capacitor on a power supply stops for device from functioning) without having a specific requirement for a part.

So what is the intent of the "requirement" column in an Design FMEA. Should we ideally have a formal requirement for every specific part (that would need to be formally verified or validated) to feed into the DFMEA or is it ok to just define the parts function and how it can fail?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Doing DFMEA on component level sounds an endless work for me.
I am not saying that it does not make sense, solely sounds a way to long journey.
DFMEA I have come across with is on system level, whereas measure goes down to functional blocks of the schematic design.

Requirements for the components are usually coming from the target reliability of the electronic board based on the experience that I have.
With other words, the FIT rate of the component should not exceed the remaining budget of the reliablity target (MTBf) of the electronic board.
It is usually not possible to identify upfront the exact remaning budget, regular reviews and calculations of the estimated FIT rate of the electronic board based on the schematic design enables that however. (it still not will be accurate due to PCB design will introduce further FIT budget consumption later)

There are standards setting the bare minimum set of failure types for components, those are more for FTAs I think.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
T Production line requirements for IATF 16949 - Need to have dedicated lines? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Do new requirements always need a validation? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Certificate of Need (CON) and FDA Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Need Clarity on AS9100 Lead Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
R Does dental unit need to meet the requirements of clause 14 (PEMS)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Lacking Documentation of Customer Requirements, what do I need? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P ISO13485 Clause 7.2.1 (d) Additional Requirements - Need advise ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Do 21 CFR 820 Requirements need to be considered when deploying ISO 13485 in the UK ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
B Language requirements in Malaysia - What language the IFUs need to be in ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
GStough Need Advice: Regulatory Requirements Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
MarilynJ6354 Preventive Action Requirements - Do we need a written requirement? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 19
D Do I need a Procedure on Legal Requirements? Regulated Insurance Sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Software Requirements - Need SRS tools like Telelogic Doors and ARTS by Goda ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Need solution to AS9100 signature requirements on the plans, and/or changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Do we need to the requirements listed under the heading NOTE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Need to find past DCX Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
S Do outprocessors need ISO 9001 certification by TS 16949 requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Non-sector specific requirements: Do I need to write a physical procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Need help in determining Pull testing requirements - Personalized earplugs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Need advice on the competency requirements of Laboratory Personel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A ISO 14001 Calibration Requirements: Do ALL measuring devices need to be calibrated? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
D Following AS9102 for FAI Requirements - Does EVERY Component Need Its Own FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 40
M Do we really need to meet the Supplier Laboratory Requirements (4.10.6)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Change the way we need to document our work - Copies of requirements? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
W 17025 and NIST handbook relationship (need advice) ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
K Need procedure for D&D inputs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Immediate need for 80601-2-56 Consulting expert. PM me for details Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Tagin You're Gonna Need a Bigger Root Cause Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 2
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
K "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
I Do I need to sign off my annual audit calendar? Internal Auditing 2
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do I need separation in my circuit with a medical charger? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Do Software Subcontractors need to be ISO13485 compliant in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Do I need a "State of the art" plan? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Need advice for schooling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R What information do i need to get from the device manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0