Do you see an improvement in training since ISO9001:2000?

C

Cathy

do see an improvement in training since ISO9001:2000

I am looking at how ISO9001:2000 has changed company's training pogrammes and polices.

In my company there has been no visable improvement in the product. The system we have is good and works quite well. we evalute training and plan training needs against business development and ensure all staff are competent in what they do.

The staff are happy.....but they were happy anyway! The other management are annoyed about the amount of extra work in assessment of competence and evalution of effectiveness and we have a low rate of product returns and that has stayed the same.

Was it better to ensure that you had trained an employee and leave it at that rather than now use up time by continually monitoring them and deciding how competent they are when the basic skills don't change much?

Has anyone see significant improvements in training?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Cathy said:
I am looking at how ISO9001:2000 has changed company's training pogrammes and polices.

In my company there has been no visable improvement in the product. The system we have is good and works quite well. we evalute training and plan training needs against business development and ensure all staff are competent in what they do.

The staff are happy.....but they were happy anyway! The other management are annoyed about the amount of extra work in assessment of competence and evalution of effectiveness and we have a low rate of product returns and that has stayed the same.

Was it better to ensure that you had trained an employee and leave it at that rather than now use up time by continually monitoring them and deciding how competent they are when the basic skills don't change much?

Has anyone see significant improvements in training?
Hi, Cathy!

The topic of training and evaluating competency has been discussed before in the Forum. Do a search and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of great leads.

But to give you some food for thought...did you never monitor people before? Performance Appraisals/Evaluations are a simple tool that many companies employ to demonstrate not only comptency but that action is being taken if a lack of comptency is found.

You low rate of product returns are a good start, but not every Customer complains.

Training is just the start.

Here's an example...I have my driver's license, thus I am a qualified driver (I have been "trained" and meet the '94 Standard's requirements). But you do not know how many accidents I have been in or how many speeding infractions I have had (good numbers to demonstrate my "comptency" and meet the '00 Standard's requirements).

We use tools such as:
  • Performance Appraisals (salary)
  • Job Observations (hourly)
  • Employee Feedback Sessions (hourly)
  • Key Indicators
  • Training
  • Nonconformance Reports
  • Customer Complaints
  • Internal Audits
  • Etc.

When you think about it, almost any tool within your Management System could probably be used to help establish your competency evaluation process. :bigwave:

C

Cathy

HI RCB,

I get what you are saying and we have done all that and record all that and evaluate competency. I have searched the forums for this topic and I haven't seen one that relates to the effect of training on the whole business and not just the effect of the std within the training area!.

What I mean is there is no signifcant improvement to our product or the business since we upgraded to ISO9001:2000. We did have fully training staff making the products and we still do.

A lot of man hours went into the training system and we have great records and can demonstrate everyone's competency but we have not seen advantages of this in other areas of the business. What I am looking for is whether or not cove folk have been able to demonstrate say, a decrease in production cost, a rise in sales, recommendations from a customer,increased efficiency, etc, because they have improved the training system!

Everything within the training system is compliant and works well. We spend more time than ever on the training system and we are not seeing other business benifits because from it. That's why I asked the question was it worth it?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We did not change our training system when transitioning from '94 to '00. Did your organization do that, Cathy? If yes, why? I mean, a Gap Analysis would have shown you if you had any areas to address in training, awareness and competency. If you already had the tools in place, yes, I can understand the existing frustration at the apparent increase in (paper)work.

So, think of it as a Continual Improvement project. What can be done to decrease the perceived extra work, without losing your ability to meet the requirements? But be careful...don't remove portions of yoru training (program) because you think they're just extra work.

I sometimes think that our training programme is too regimented...but I do understand why. We can be a lazy lot sometimes, and being given deadlines and forms to complete exactly forces us to do our jobs properly and effectively.

And without this training, without this regimented program, I would not be surprised if quality started to slide.

You asked if there was any benefit to having such a detailed training system. Ask yourself this, instead...what are the possible consequences if we do not?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H What kind of training would you recommend to start on the process improvement world? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
C Employee Improvement Training Materials - How to improve employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
R Opportunity For Improvement vs Opportunity (Positive Risk) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
howste Aerospace Improvement Maturity Model (AIMM) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) vs. AOC (Area of Concern) - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Process Improvement and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
A A Question about Continual improvement process in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
C Do we need to make a new OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) for each document/form we update? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
K QMS Improvement - Analyze the systemic weaknesses of the QMS for improvement purpose Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S Government MotorPool Continuous Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
qualprod ISO 9001 - Cl 6.1 and 9.3 and 10 - Opportunities for Improvement the same? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Need help on Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
qualprod ISO9001:2015 Cl. 9.1.1 and 9.1.3 evidenced with only improvement actions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Difference Process Objective/Opportunity for improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Audit opportunity for improvement raised to nonconformance months after the audit General Auditing Discussions 7
D Ideas for Poka Yoke or Improvement - Aluminum FOD in Assembly Customer Complaints 3
N ISO 17025 Clause 4.10 regarding Improvement ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
N FDA Guidelines for implementing Continuous Improvement Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B Ranking Continual Improvement Projects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Understanding ISO 9001:2015 - 10.3 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
P CA,PA, Continual Improvement - How to start in a Service Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Opportunity For Improvement - Customer to sign off or approve a new design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc How will "continual improvement" be audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C Work Sampling Method for Induction Melting Process Improvement Six Sigma 3
LeonelAguilar352 Material Requisition Process - Improvement Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
Z Repository of In-House Improvement Projects - Engineering Service Provider Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
L Is there a certifiable Continuous Improvement system? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Conducting a Project for Safety Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
J Continuous Improvement vs. Preventive Actions - Differences Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
A Stuck at 'Analyse' stage of DMAIC Improvement Cycle on Cosmetic Specification Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Internal Audit Question - 8.5.1 Continual Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
L Implementing an improvement program is like cooking! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
M Continual Improvement Procedure - Please review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Questions on CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) waived letter Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T QIP (Quality Improvement Process) for CAPA Process. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
T Metrics and Statistics for Improvement - Easy to implement Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
P Document Control vs Continual Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11