Do you test the download and installation of a mobile medical device app?

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
We have a medical device app we are developing and I'm wondering where I can stop testing.

There are two ways to look at the testing:
1. Use a simulator or use a developer account on the mobile device to run the app and test the features, then submit to Apple and let the review/check that Apple does constitute the download/install testing. (If they approve it, then that covers the app being packaged, downloaded, and installed correctly.)

2. Test the app and features, but use the iTunes Connect beta testing feature which would allow us to download and install from them in a test environment. The beta testing "feature" for iTunes is the same used to submit it to Apple for their testing so I'm wondering if we'd be redundant.

#2 may be more thorough but I'm wondering if it's necessary. Anyone with any experience in where to draw the line?

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

If your questions were answered here, please consider helping others.

Thank you very much!

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,
Tests are usually phased in factory tests and field tests (I'm simplifying).
#1 looks like factory tests and #2 looks like field test. So I would keep both. But for #2 I would go for a reduced test plan (verifying that it works on target platform without dev account) hence deep tests are done in #1.

I

isoalchemist

Yeah you are stuck with needing both. I have a slightly different take in that it is really a 3 step process, your internal testing, Test 2 verifying it works with the Apple deployment system, and finally after I know it works get the Apple OK.

I don't believe Apple will dig deep enough into the system to find hidden problems that you are responsible for in the MD world

kreid

Involved In Discussions
I would have thought that you need to demonstrate that it works on any device that can connect and download from istore. Maybe they have some set of definitions for developers that achieves this?

How are you dealing with IFU and PMS type issues?

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
On the app store you can buy apps that are designed for specific Apple devices. You can say you only support iPhones or iPads, or perhaps iTouch. You can even say you only support iPhones or iPads at a certain release and above.

Apple does have a nice developer site where they explain things, where you can try things, and a staging spot where you can try out your app before submitting it to Apple for their testing/approval.

The IfU will be a PDF and bundled with the app. Not sure how the engineers plan on displaying it. We are not focused on the app yet so this is just leg work for when I need it in a few months.

I don't recognize the acronym PMS for something to consider with the app. Can you define it, please?

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
PMS = Post Market Surveillance.
PMS can have many entry points
1. A group of priviledged customer which give periodically their feedback
2. A button or menu entry "report a problem"
3. A feature like "register yourself" to get a list of customers and send them questionaires.

So this is not a problem of PMS. The big problem is recall or withdrawal. How can I know who has the product if I want to recall it. Usually with software, the solution is to activate software only if the user requested a license to rhe vendor. A licencing scheme allows to know who has what.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N IEC 60601-1-1 - Stress test, reference voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Cord anchorage pull test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Dielectric strength test as per IEC 60601-1 -Infant incubator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Operator protection - When to apply table 7, Dielectric strength test voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
R Medical Device Airworthiness, DO-160 Test Planner IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S IVF medical devices standards and test methods Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
B Standard for Dielectric Strength Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
J EN61010 Electrical Withstand Test IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G ISO 17025:2017 Uninterrupted chain of traceability for test laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
S Safety Class A with no test? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A IEC 60601-2-2 - Defib-proof test amendment to base standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K The correct way of doing a 2 Sample T test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B EU: Alcohol test kits for breast milk IVDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D IEC EN 61326 Dated Standards - Dated standards for test protocols CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Kuldeep Singh Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
A IEC 60601-1 Impact test on glass touch controller IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E IEC 61010-1 Dielectric strength test of inner power supply Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0