DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered?

A

andreiafilipaf

Hi

I need some assistance regarding the Declaration of Conformity of a software product. My notified body is asking me to make my DoC mention the the specifics manufactured units that it is covering by the serial number, or by LOT. Since we are talking about software, I only have my units prepared once we make a sell, i.e., the CD with the software is only burned at that moment. And it is only a copy of the software that I have in the computer.
I cannot identify the unit by the license keys because they are also generated at the moment of the sale, because the number of users is embebed in that license.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: DoC for Software product - how can I identify the specific untis that are covered

Welcome!

Nice subject ;).

It depends on what you consider as part of your device master record, which is the basis of design transfer to manufacturing.
Your options is the:
- source code,
- executable.

In case it is the source code, than at each compilation, somehow you shall identify the executable (in this case, the device master record consist the source code and the manufacturing process contains the compilation of the source code to executable),
in case it is the executable, than each copy to disk should be identified, I guess, this is the one required by the notified body. (actually it is not a bad idea to identify by individual license key, it is looks fine for me)

br
Sz.

Last edited:

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered

If you follow good software engineering practices (I hope!!) then you should have some kind of release / version identifier for your release (e.g., an x.y.z format is typical to reference the major release (x), minor revision (y), and -shudder- patch release (z)). This identifier can be used to identify, by revision, each element in the build (standard Configuration Status Accounting / Configuration Identification).

I would think this would be appropriate for your DoC.

Side note: I would also hope that the release process itself is well controlled; i.e., you have a dedicated PC for burning CDs and the content comes from a standard release repository (not just whatever happens to be on the computer at the time).

sagai

Re: DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered

Hi Yodon!
Please to see you here again.
I would like to know your view. Do you think the burned CDs also shall be identified regardless they are having the exactly same release?
br
Sz.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi Yodon!
Please to see you here again.
I would like to know your view. Do you think the burned CDs also shall be identified regardless they are having the exactly same release?
br
Sz.
Hi Sagai,

If I understand the OP correctly, the NB is asking for the DoC, not the customer. So...

Should the individual CDs be identified in the DoC? No, as the OP stated, they won't be known at the time the DoC is produced.

Should the individual CDs be identified with the release information? Absolutely! The CD should be labeled with the release / revision identifier for proper management purposes (just like you would any deliverable).

A

andreiafilipaf

Hi

thank you for the info, but the problem is that the Doc must identify the specific items produced (CD) and not only the version number.
What I proposed to the auditor, and hadn't got his feedback it is have the DoC point to a list of item (CDs) produced for the version of the SW that was CE marked.

regards,
Andreia

sagai

Thank you for these info, actually this was my impression too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S PMA Submission Software Hazard Analysis Document vs. Product Hazard Analysis doc ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
J Using purchased "Training Doc" (TQS) software - Tips/Tricks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Electronic Doc Control Software Packages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Should DoC be updated every time Technical Documentation is revised? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M DOC Translation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Does the DoC require a technical documentation version? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G MDR DRAFT DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M PMA submission declaration of Conformity - DoC and SDoC US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Brexit ISO 13485:2016 + Corrigendum - What does a UKCA DoC require? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
O Who writes up Declaration of Conformity (DoC)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M ISO 20417:2021, Requirements for e-doc 6.6.5 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
D Secondary Manufacturing Site on DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Language requirement DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Naming of SOP doc's - Specific to Calibrations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for Custom Made Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Firmware version in EMC report / DoC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Single Point Contact / DoC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q Incomplete Process Sheets Closure - DHR - Doc Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Anyone Practicing Approval Signatures on Every Page of a Doc? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
marmotte DoC (Declaration of Conformance) update required for Class II Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Is there an ISO doc that is similar to DIN EN 10204? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
somashekar What comes first ... The DOC or the EC certificate from NB EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Is there an Expiry Date for "Declaration of Conformity" (DOC) for Medical Devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
rob73 Harmonised Standards on DoC (Declaration of Conformity) EU Medical Device Regulations 10
rob73 Length of validity of a self certified Declaration of Conformity (DoC) for CE mark EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Japanese Pharmaceutical Affairs Law (PAL) doc and "Essential Principle Checklist" Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
P Web based file sharing i.e. Dropbox for Doc Control - Comments/Alternatives? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A EC Technical File DoC (Declaration of Conformity) Content Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G Declaration of Conformity and Standards - List of standards on your DoC's? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
bio_subbu COCIR Recommendation on DoC under revised 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Listing Standards in DoC and Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Standard Version(s) on Declaration of Conformity (DoC) - Necessary or required? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Spanish Customs Claim: Has the MDD class to be mentioned in the DoC? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q COQ (Cost of Quality) - Would someone review this doc and offer feedback? Benchmarking 10
I New ERP system - Need Doc. Numbers for ERP generated PO's, Packing Slips, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Obsolete a DoC if NB (Notifying Body) changed EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M KAIZEN .doc File Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
C Revision History Page on Procedures Back/Front of Doc Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
F Help: What kind of doc is this and that? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Editable (MS Word/Excel) .doc .xls version of a Toyota A3 form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 17
S AS9103 Process Control Plan - MS Word .doc File Forms attached AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Value Stream Mapping and Symbols for Word .doc Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
J Overall Equipment Effectiveness Course - Word document .doc Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
W Departmental philosophies & its objectives location in any org. doc. pyramid Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Controlling Forms made in word .doc, excel .xls, and lotus Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
M Six Sigma .ppt or .doc Presentations - Awareness session or introduction wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
R Customer Satisfaction - Seeking Example Procedure - .doc Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2