Dock Audits - 4.10.4.2 Final Product Audit

M

Mike525

4.10.4.2 Final Product Audit states "The supplier shall conduct audits of packaged final product to verify conformance to all specified requirements (e.g. product.....)

Originally my understanding of this requirment was no physical measurments (testing) had to be done to the product as long as all manufacturing (and/or assembly) records show all feature and/or all performance characteristics are within specification. Now that the 3rd ed. has been out for awhile, is my understanding still valid, or am I falling short somewhere in meeting the QSR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
IMHO you are correct.
The dock audit is a check on the packaging ,labelling etc.
The language is" e.g. product.....) e.g.are suggestions and not mandatory see page 1 of qs9000 at bottom.

L

Laura M

Howard,
I was under the impression you actually inspected product. Maybe not to the extent of in-process inspection, but more of a "containment" type inspection. We looked for: are all inspection identifications in place, product ID (on the part), visual appearance - anything unusual, correct components (we did assembly of various combinations of similar components), and if necessary, a small sample for physical test. Of course at the time, several products were on Level 1 containment, so it probably may sense. I suppose limiting it to labeling and packaging would be OK if product quality data supported it. By the way, we did prevent some problems (one big one) getting to the customer. I had a field day with that one because the department fought implementing the process every step of the way!

M

Mike525

As with just about everything else of late dealing with QS and registrars, I have a serious problem with dock audits. From reading the suggested threads (thanks, Marc), I got the impression the interpretations are many and varied. When I read my post from thread #000100 in response to another's question regarding the same subject, I should've known better - we both have the same registrar, and needless to say I'm less than estatic with them. Fortunately, my role here is one of internal consultant, and no one listens to me anyway. I should've listened to my mother and become a doctor! Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Dock Audits - Isn't waiting to do an audit when the product is "supposed" to ship a little late? Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
D Dock Audit (Product Audits and Process Audits) database wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 20
S Dock Audits as part of Supplier Containment Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
P Are Dock Audits required in TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R Dock audits on Process FMEA, Control Plan and Process Flow Diagram FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Recently Certified!! One minor finding dealing with Dock Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
V Procedure that shows how to do Dock Audits? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K IATF 16949 Line and Dock Auditor Competency Requirements Internal Auditing 4
GoSpeedRacer Dock to Stock for a Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Client's Order Dock Inspection before Shipping Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E What is Dock to Dock Time and how is it calculated? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
J Ever gone "Dry-Dock fishing?" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S Implementing Dock To Stock in a Small Machine Shop Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
1 Simple Dock Audit Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Dock to Stock Approval form, link or information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Definition Product Audit vs. Dock Audit vs. Layout Audit - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 29
V Implementing Dock-to-Stock when regulated by ISO 13485 and 21CFR820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
P Definition Dock-to-Stock Process based on Historical Quality Performance of a Part and Supplier Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
Q Dock Audit - Reasons to do dimensional checks during product dock audit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Dock to Stock system used as a supplier performance review method Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Dock to Stock Template for Distributor/Warehouse of Industrial Metals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Dock to Stock - How to deal with inspection status requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Dock-To-Stock procedure - Medical Device Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Process FMEA Scope - Does PFMEA cover Incoming (Receiving) Inspection & Dock Audit? FMEA and Control Plans 8
T TS 16949 vs. Dock to Stock - Seeking comments from anyone who has implemented DtS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S QS-9000 Clause 4.10.4.2 - Final Product Audit vs. Dock Audit QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
A Dock Audit Instruction - 4.10.4.2 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
B QS9000's New Dock Audit Requirement QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 13
B Final Dock Audit - Dock Audit (inspection) on every part number? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 32
H ISO 13485 - Separate Microbiology Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7