Document Approval - Software company

Hi

I am new to the quality world. I work for a software company and the QA manager retired and I took on the QA role.

I am quite confused about document approval, ISO 9001 clause 7.5.2 - c.

My question is: Do ALL documents needs to be approved before they are made available for use? My company have some documents that we do not require approval for and I would like to know if this is allowed by the standards?

Here are some examples of documents that have are produced that currently do not get approved before they are made available for use:

1) We produce ballpark quote documents that get sent to customers showing an estimation of how much a piece of software development work will cost. The document is produced by a manager, so he/she is down as the author of the document. But the document does not get approved by another person before it is sent to the customer. Is it acceptable to not have an 'approver' on this document? Isn't it enough to see that the author of the document is a manager?

2) Once a piece of software has been developed, a developer will complete a unit test document. So the author of the document is the developer. But again we don't require the unit test document to be approved, so again, there is no 'approver' on the document. The manager just needs to see that a unit test was done and the details of that unit test. Is it acceptable to not have an 'approver' on a unit test document?

It seems as though requiring every single document to be approved before it is allowed to be distributed, is adding a layer of complexity and delay into the process of getting a task completed. What is the need to have a ballpark quote document or a unit test document approved when the people preparing these documents are trusted people and the people best placed to complete these documents.

As you can see I am having trouble understanding the approval concept.

Any feedback/clarification would be much appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
It's not clear what you're referring to as "documents." Do you have standard forms that you use for the tasks you mention? Please explain.

Randy

Super Moderator
What's confusing with "c) review and approval for suitability and adequacy"?

Have somebody who knows what's required to check the things over for content and determine whether or not it's correct..........If it is "Approved", if it's not "Not Approved"

You're probably over-thinking, don't make it any more complicated than it has to be.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I think @Randy is probably right in suggesting you're overthinking. First off, the clause only applies to documented information required by the standard. Do a search for "documented information" and you'll see what's required. Quotes to customers are not (well, maybe not, unless you use that as your documented information of the review of requirements for services). Second, the means for approval are yours to define. For example, for unit test docs, maybe you have a peer review (for suitability and adequacy) then check it in to the repository (approved). Approval doesn't have to be a "wet ink" signature.

Review is rarely a bad idea, even trusted people can make mistakes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Document management software - Legacy document approval history Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Q Does ISO 9001 Requirement for Document Approval (a service organization) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Supplier Approval of electronic document storage service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Document Management Solution for Routing Documents for Approval Manually Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
M How to document approval of Organization Charts Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
I Electronic vs. Paper Copy Document Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C ISO27001 - Document Creation and Approval Requirements IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
V How do you manage the Review Comments post to Approval of a Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Document Approval Requirements in an ISO 13485 and FDA System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L ISO 9001 Document Review and Approval Form Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
somashekar Document Approval per Sec. 820.40 (a) of 21 CFR part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Evidence of Approval in an Electronic Document Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Considering a Time Limit for Document Approval Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
T Document Approval Process for Company Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Can a document approval be in the form of password? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
S Document Approval for Adequacy Prior to Use Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Evidence required for Document Approval? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
B Document Approval when the responsible person leaves the company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Posting of Initials or Names on a Computer Document as Proof of Approval or Task Done Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Defining Document Review and Approval responsibilities - ISO 13485 - Medical Device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Document Approval Matrix - What manager needs to sign what documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Ajit Basrur FDA Requirements for Document Approval by Quality Department US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S Document Control (Need an Approval Form) - ISO 9001 clause 4.2.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 35
A Document validation / authority - E-mail based approval system - Ideally MS Outlook ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Document Review and Approval Form - Examples Attached Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
W Approval of Electronic Documents - How do we indicate "document approval"? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Approval of a Single Electronic Document for Multiple Locations? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3