Document Change Approval

Auditors tend to bring up the statement that "You can not approve your own work". I am having a hard time pinning that down in ISO or the FDA standard. In some situations the subject expert is both the Document Owner and the Approver. Is this justified if we explain in our document procedure that this may be the case in some situations? I would just like to be sure as it seems to come up a lot like it is a golden rule although I am sure it is a best practice if you have a situation where you may have a secondary person with the same level of knowledge to evaluate the document before it becomes official, otherwise it is just a paper exercise to have someone approve just to keep from getting hit for not approving your own work. Thanks for your feedback.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
It's a great rule of thumb. The only place I can think of in ISO 13485 that explicitly says anything like that is 8.2.4 - "auditors shall not audit their own work" - which isn't exactly what we're talking about here.

For most of our document changes, the approvers are the owner, the owner's manager, and a QA signature. There's no particular requirement it has to be that way, and it's probably a little overkill (but we love overkill around here).

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Auditors tend to bring up the statement that "You can not approve your own work". I am having a hard time pinning that down in ISO or the FDA standard. In some situations the subject expert is both the Document Owner and the Approver. Is this justified if we explain in our document procedure that this may be the case in some situations? I would just like to be sure as it seems to come up a lot like it is a golden rule although I am sure it is a best practice if you have a situation where you may have a secondary person with the same level of knowledge to evaluate the document before it becomes official, otherwise it is just a paper exercise to have someone approve just to keep from getting hit for not approving your own work. Thanks for your feedback.
@Zero_yield is spot on. The reference to the similar term is indeed clause 8.2.4 and is in the context of INTERNAL AUDITING. Hopefully your organization slightly misunderstood the verbiage / intent and the 3rd party auditor did NOT actually use the term "can not approve your own work".

The verbiage, as stated, would imply the "auditor" (was this internal?...2nd party?....3rd party?....) is experiencing mission creep.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
Also, for full transparency - we actually have a requirement in our internal procedures that says that no one is allowed to approve their own work.

If you've got an internal auditor saying that, you may be in the same boat. They might be referencing an internal / local / corporate procedure.

Hi_Its_Matt

Involved In Discussions
I sure hope people can approve their own work! Having said that, I also think there should be very few cases where a document/record is approved by only one person, either.

Generally, if Person A creates a record, or wants to make some document change, there should be at least one other person who reviews that record/document. I work at a very small (<20 people) design consulting company, and I can think of only a handful of records/documents that are genuinely approved by only one person.

Enternationalist

Involved In Discussions
In 13485, "Approval" is always accompanied by the verb "verify" or "review" in some form. The obvious spirit of the concept is - check work is good and correct before approving it. It doesn't take much of a mental leap to see how an author reading over their own work isn't exactly a rigorous check. We've all written up something, thought it was great, passed it onto someone only to have them point out glaring errors 5 minutes later.

There's no explicit requirement, but you need to be able to justify that work has been adequately reviewed or verified. In most cases, this is most simply and effectively done by having a different person look at your work.

If you're a solo operator, I would think it worth establishing other objective methods to ensure work is reviewed sufficiently. For example, maybe you make a systematic checklist to ensure commonly-missed things are checked that might otherwise go unnoticed by a solo author. Maybe you implement automated systems to check for you. It's up to you to define what's necessary, but most of the time it'd be a cop-out just to say "Yeah, I checked my own work".

The one who approves a document about an area / activity will have indepth knowledge and background about that area / activity and more particularly the knowledge about how that area / activity interacts with other areas of the organization. This has to be established and clearly defined, documented and communucated within the organization by the top mnagement. Please note that approving of a document is also an authority given by the top management to a particular personnel, based on many factors, like education, training, skill and experience within the organization.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A If document coding is change will there be a revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N API Q1, Management of Change & Document Change Request Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
E Document Change Request forms (or no forms)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
XRAY_3121 Informational MDSAP Audit Findings - Document change orders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
Ajit Basrur FDA News FDA Guidance Document: Manufacturing Site Change Supplement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T How to Document Risk Effects on Design Change(s) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q How do we document a department name change? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q Change revision number in document when only codification was changed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Change Order necessary to document FMEA Updates? FMEA and Control Plans 1
L Procedure Change Request Form - "ISO Procedures" Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
E Challenges in document control, revisional control, and change control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Document Change Control for a Very Small Business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
E FDA Significant Change Interpretation - Guidance Document EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Is DCR (Document Change Request) Needed for Initial QMS Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
J Change in our SharePoint Document Control Process - Is this ok? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
S Change and Revision Status Identification for a Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Document Control Procedure Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Function of a Change Number in our ECN / document vault program as a tie-in Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
J What should be included in the Design Change Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Implementing a change for a particular Process - Document & Change Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
2 Minor Document Change Control - Minor text changes to work procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Change Request Flowchart - Please critique Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 32
K Form 42-2 for Document Initiation and Change Record - Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Document Change Notice Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
H Product Non-Conformity and Document Change Request Forms - Corrective Action needed? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
J Engineering/Document Change Notice Procedure required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Specifications - All the same type of document? Change Management part of our QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Examples of DCR (Document Change Record) Log and Document Controlled Log Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Definition Engineering Change and Document Change - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
P Document Change Notice (DCN) vs. Document Release Notice (DRN) - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
H Example of DCR (document change request) form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
V What Constitutes a Document Change? Company Logo Revision Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
B Document Change Notice - looking for examples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Global change software where changing one document changes all documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
H Formats for Master List of Quality Records (MQR) & Document Change Request Form (DCR) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Document Change Order - DCO templete which complies with FDA QSR requirements? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
K Change the way we need to document our work - Copies of requirements? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
T Ensuring Document Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T TipQA Document Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Document control system for QMS in Google Drive? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M On-demand EU MDR Compliance toolkit with online training courses, templates & document management system Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
C Document Record/Template Minimum Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3