Document Changes - How do you handle document and procedure changes?

M

mibusha

Document Changes

How does everyone handle document and procedure changes. If a form/document/procedure is modified, is it necessary to keep the old form/document/procedure attached to the new one with explanations of the changes? I want to archive the old docs and simply refer to the archive file (in a cabinet)for those who need to see how the docs have changed. Does this make sense?

Michael

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I don't know of any requirement to keep paper copies at all. Particularly with smaller companies I recommend that they keep the last version on paper and the most recent version on paper so that they meet the requirement for being able to tell the difference in versions - but mostly I recommend that as they're not always real computer savvy. I don't see an explainiartion of the changes as a big thing. Most of my clients just e-mail or memo that the procedure has been changed. Some have real elaborate change histories, while some only keep the last version.

Communication of changes is another matter. The form and extent is up to you. An e-mail saying the document has changed is generally sufficient, but some companies summarize the change. Some use WORD and the Track Changes feature.

I think you have a fair amount of latitude in your document system design.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Procedure Change Request Form - "ISO Procedures" Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Is a New Revision Required for Minor Document Changes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Identification of Document Changes in a Wiki Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Document Changes (Revisions) and associated Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
P Software Changes - Is an FDA guidance type of document available from SFDA (China)? China Medical Device Regulations 2
M Document Changes not affecting the process - Adding Logos, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
2 Minor Document Change Control - Minor text changes to work procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I ISO 10993-10:2010 Guidance Document for Irritation and Sensitization Test - Changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
quality1 Redlined Document for Changes kept as Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Maintain a Document for Changes in Forms and Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Control of Documents - Showing Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
T Inquiry about the number of changes in a document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Changes in Revised Document are not Highlighted and Communicated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V IMO our people don't need to read manuals or procedures and document changes to them Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 60
G To ensure that document changes are identified... Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Changes to document control procedure - need review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Global change software where changing one document changes all documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
I Handwriting/changes on controlled document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
F Document Control - Informing People of Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 37
V Document and Data Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3