Document coding system

Quality-Nation

On Holiday
Document coding provides a short and unique means of linking internal documents comprising the documented and interacting parts of the system
To what purpose? We’ve been making a pig’s ear of document control in the name of all things “ISO” and totally ignored users and the fact that even in heavily paper based systems, the documents are on a computer and can be filed by the actual name of the thing. It’s a dinosaur which people want to keep alive in a sort of Jurassic Park of Document Control.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
To what purpose? We’ve been making a pig’s ear of document control in the name of all things “ISO” and totally ignored users and the fact that even in heavily paper based systems, the documents are on a computer and can be filed by the actual name of the thing. It’s a dinosaur which people want to keep alive in a sort of Jurassic Park of Document Control.
You must’ve missed where I said ‘document coding schemes predate hyperlinking’.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
OK 5 year old boys in the little boys room: p!$$!ng contest is over....

We will now return to our regularly scheduled professional discourse.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
In a forum, people with different views and knowledge meet and discuss or help each other with certain problems. The main purpose of a forum is to communicate with other people. A person first starts a new thread with a specific question or problem. Afterward, other people can read the thread and involve themselves by responding to it.

If we don't want others to contribute it's easy to use the private messaging system.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
In a forum, people with different views and knowledge meet and discuss or help each other with certain problems. The main purpose of a forum is to communicate with other people. A person first starts a new thread with a specific question or problem. Afterward, other people can read the thread and involve themselves by responding to it.

If we don't want others to contribute it's easy to use the private messaging system.
Yes - let’s communicate not just go back and forth with non-value add personal sniping

Quality-Nation

On Holiday
OK 5 year old boys in the little boys room: p!$$!ng contest is over....

We will now return to our regularly scheduled professional discourse.
I had posted my question to the OP! If others wish to answer for them and derail the thread, perhaps the “moderators” should ask those people not to derail things. I asked - as did you - about why such complexity is thought to be necessary. I simply diverted my comments away from an attempted sidebar.

Rob_Kellock

Involved In Discussions
I have created 3 coding systems for the different documents required in the QMS.

For procedures, I use:
TYPE-PROCEDURE-VERSION
Since no further information is required in the code to differentiate them from each other.

However, for forms and other documents such as Work Instructions, Templates, etc., I need to identify more than one document that can be associated with a single procedure. That is, the same procedure may consider two or more forms, different from each other, to be completed. Therefore, I use:

TYPE-PROCEDURE-NAME-VERSION
Name is the name of the form but only using two letters for identification.

Continuing with the case of forms, once they are completed, they are transformed into records. The register code considers:

TYPE-PROCEDURE-NAME-NUMBER-VERSION
Where Number is a two-digit incremental number that allows you to identify the same form filled out on several occasions. For example, a training form:
Number: 01 (Employee #1)
Number: 02 (Employee #2)
Number: 03 (Employee #1. Yes, #1)

Is it possible to use 3 different systems? I receive recommendations and suggestions
:thanx:
I'd be wary of adding any version numbers into live document filenames. If you intend to use hyperlinks anywhere within your system these will be almost impossible to manage with filenames changing continuously.

If you aren't using something like SharePoint or similar to host your management system then I'd suggest appending the version number to the filename of superseded documents at the point they are archived.

Top Bottom