Document Control and Distribution - How to save paper?

Q

qsmso

Control and distribution of document; we waste so much for paper

Dear Cove friends,
I have confused within the company about controlling and distributing QMS controlled document. We control document by Intranet. All items with current version can be accessed any time by anybody (read only).
There are about 40 functions (sections) in our organizations that are required to use document differently. In normal practice, each of those print out concerned document and keep as master file in each area. That means we are talking about 40 binders at least.

1. However, do we have to print out or make copy to keep in our office or post at shop floor? ( I think we waste a lot of paper)
2. Do all document must be kept in the master file of each section?
3. Can we just only make the list for only document we concerned, then when need we can check from the Intranet or print out to use?
4. If we can do according to question no.3, how to satisfy QS-9000 req. 4.5.2 a “the pertinent issues of appropriate documents are available at all location where operations essential to the effective functioning of the quality system are performed?

Need your suggestion.

Regards,
QSMSO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Control and distribution of document; we waste so much for paper

Hi there,

1. No. Don't. At least not as long as those who need the documents can access them from the intranet. Are the printed documents controlled? Probably not..?

2. No. Why not consider the intranet to be the master list? In effect it is. A different master list in every section is trouble.

3. Yes (If I understood the question right). Just make certan that you don't save any printed documents after use.

4. I'll leave that one to the QS-9000 experts, but if you have intranet access close to those locations, you shouldn't have any problems.

/Claes

G

Graeme

Here is what I have done in an ISO 9001:2000 implementation in a small electronic calibration lab. We wanted to take maximum advantage of the internal computer network, and minimize the workload of the document coordinator (me). Referring to the original questions --

1. However, do we have to print out or make copy to keep in our office or post at shop floor?
If the documents are on the company intranet, and if everyone has access to them, then the answer is probably No.

2. Do all document must be kept in the master file of each section?
The directory (web page) that people use to get to them on the intranet is the master file. Having separate files in different sections is just making trouble for yourself.
Axiom: no matter how much you try to prevent it the lists will become unsynchronized.
Corollary: the auditor will find it.

3. Can we just only make the list for only document we concerned, then when need we can check from the Intranet or print out to use?
We do allow people to print documents as needed. It is necessary in some cases, such as calibration checklists. But every level 2 and 3 quality procedure, and the quality manual, has a note in the footer of every page stating that if it is printed, it is not a controlled document. The only controlled copy is the one they can see on the computer screen. Paper copies are supposed to be disposed of after use. (Unless it is a form which becomes a record, then it is scanned back in before it is disposed of.)

4. If we can do according to question no.3, how to satisfy QS-9000 req. 4.5.2 a “the pertinent issues of appropriate documents are available at all location where operations essential to the effective functioning of the quality system are performed?
Again, if the documents are available on the intranet the only issue is having them available at the point of use. If everyone has access to the intranet in their work area, it should not be a problem. In our calibration lab, each technician has a laptop computer, and each calibration workstation has a network connection, so it is not an issue for us. It may be different in your situation.

Other points:

The only copy accessible to the users is the current one. If they have a need to see an old version they have to ask the document coordinator. In addition, the current version cannot be changed because (a) most users only have read access to that directory, and (b) all of the documents are digitally signed Adobe Acrobat PDF files.

The document access system is a series of html web pages that links everything together. I am also starting to put hyperlinks inside documents for additional linking.

This system also makes it easy for the auditor. We just give him or her a laptop and the account name and password we have set up for auditors, and let them roam. (The auditor account has rights to see everything but not modify anything.)

Document changes are handled by e-mail -- requests, approvals, and change notices. That provides an electronic trail that can be stored as needed. The change is official when a new copy of the file is placed in the folder on the server.

(A side benefit is that the lab stays cleaner longer now that there is less paper in it.)

B

Bob_M

Document changes are handled by e-mail -- requests, approvals, and change notices. That provides an electronic trail that can be stored as needed. The change is official when a new copy of the file is placed in the folder on the server.
Your program sounds GREAT!!!!
The PDF is something I'd like our company to use soon.
How do you electronically approve your documents?
We currently have one electronic master, with a few paper binders.
But our conversion to and "offical" online version is so new we have not worked out a system for approving them yet.

Any tips?

E

energy

here's what we do

Bob_M said:

Your program sounds GREAT!!!!
The PDF is something I'd like our company to use soon.
How do you electronically approve your documents?
We currently have one electronic master, with a few paper binders.
But our conversion to and "offical" online version is so new we have not worked out a system for approving them yet.

Any tips?
Original hard copies are signed and dated and kept in a Master File in the QA Office. The pdf files show the personnel "Author" and "Authorizer" and the date. Where the signature would normally be, I just have this: (Signed). Our Document Control Procedure states this and I see nothing wrong with it. Also, there are "Uncontrolled" stamps near three printers and the procedure states that printed documents are no longer controlled. A throw back to to the 94 version of ISO, but so what? We have not been audited yet by a Registrar, however I don't anticipate a problem. The important thing is to make sure the procedure addresses everything you do. JMHO

:ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Bob,

FWIW, I think either Jim's way or Energy's way will pass most audits. I use Energy's way despite it being a bit more work because I think it is a bit more "airtight" -- the handwritten signature on a hardcopy shows more positively that the doc actually WAS approved by that person. This seems to make auditors feel warmer and fuzzier and eliminates any chance of the approving person later saying "I never saw/approved that document" and having anyone take him/her seriously. But if you do not have those concerns and prefer the greatest ease, Jim's way should work. If it doesn't, you can always change.

E

energy

Exactly

Jim Wade said:

What some people do, Bob is to have a procedure for approval that results - for a successful review - in the master document simply being moved to a folder with appropriate protections

That way they can say "we know it's approved because it's in that folder". The document (uniquely identified by, for example, a title and a date) needs no e-signature or any other sign of approval.

rgds Jim
We say, basically, if it's on the "secured drive", it's the latest rev. The "master List" is there also, which contains the hyperlinked documents. This is no fun. Let's rumble!! :p :ko: :smokin:

E

energy

Warm and Fuzzy

Mike S. said:

Bob,

FWIW, I think either Jim's way or Energy's way will pass most audits. I use Energy's way despite it being a bit more work because I think it is a bit more "airtight" -- the handwritten signature on a hardcopy shows more positively that the doc actually WAS approved by that person. This seems to make auditors feel warmer and fuzzier and eliminates any chance of the approving person later saying "I never saw/approved that document" and having anyone take him/her seriously. But if you do not have those concerns and prefer the greatest ease, Jim's way should work. If it doesn't, you can always change.
Mike S.

We also have a concern here about electronic approval signatures on blueprints by Engineering. It's not allowed because they do not have that "warm and fuzzy feeling". Some things are best left alone if we feel "cold and bald".
:rolleyes: :ko: :smokin:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I know what hyperlinks are, but I'm not sure how to use them effectively. I might want to in the future. I use MS WORD for my docs. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Consider this scenerio:

I have a doc called "QSP-530 Rev. A - Testing Whozits". In this doc is a reference to "QSP-515 Rev. B - Hardness Testing", which is a part of how whozits are tested.

If I revise QSP-515 to Rev. C, don't I have to go back to QSP-530 (and any other docs that reference QSP-515) and change the hyperlink in QSP-530 so that the new rev of QSP-515 is called by the hyperlink?

I figure there is probably a way around this, but I've never sat down to figure it all out. Any ideas from the hyperlink experts?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Mike S. said:

I know what hyperlinks are, but I'm not sure how to use them effectively. I might want to in the future. I use MS WORD for my docs. Maybe someone can enlighten me. Consider this scenerio:

I have a doc called "QSP-530 Rev. A - Testing Whozits". In this doc is a reference to "QSP-515 Rev. B - Hardness Testing", which is a part of how whozits are tested.

If I revise QSP-515 to Rev. C, don't I have to go back to QSP-530 (and any other docs that reference QSP-515) and change the hyperlink in QSP-530 so that the new rev of QSP-515 is called by the hyperlink?

I figure there is probably a way around this, but I've never sat down to figure it all out. Any ideas from the hyperlink experts?
As long as you always name the "current" doc the same file name, you don't have to worry about the hyperlinks. So, if you are saving obsolete copies somewhere, rename them. Current document is H:\QMSWeb\QSP515.doc, but maybe the old one(s) is H:\QMSWeb\QSP515B.doc and QSP515A.doc

Actually, I don't even save old versions, unless there is some really good reason to. I have the changes summarized in the revision database. If I do save an older version, I keep it in an entirely different drive or a different folder on the same drive, one that is not accessible by anyone other than a couple of people with administrative rights.

Hope this helps!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Document Control and Identifying Distribution ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
H Distribution of Controlled Copies - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
S Looking for Document Control Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Challenges in document control, revisional control, and change control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
tony s Performance Indicators for Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
T Is there a difference between form control and document control ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
x-files Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Nonconformance on document control - Unapproved document on production server Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control - Document Revision History Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M I Attached My first Document Control Procedure for your Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1