Document Control Checklist for use after Document Revisions

T

tylerr

Hello Covers,

I was wondering if anyone could supply me with a “document control checklist”. I’ve searched the threads and files but cannot seem to find exactly what I’m looking for. Basically, we want to a simple checklist after revisions (or new documents) are made that will ensure each step of the document control process was followed. Obviously, because QMSs are different, yours will not be the same as mine; I’m just looking for some ideas in case there is something we are missing.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler R
:thanks:

(PS: I know its off-topic but am I correct in thinking that ISO9000 does not have any requirements about the specific retention periods of records? I know certain documents will have there own regualtions/laws but ISO does not give specific requirements, correct?)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello Covers,

I was wondering if anyone could supply me with a “document control checklist”. I’ve searched the threads and files but cannot seem to find exactly what I’m looking for. Basically, we want to a simple checklist after revisions (or new documents) are made that will ensure each step of the document control process was followed. Obviously, because QMSs are different, yours will not be the same as mine; I’m just looking for some ideas in case there is something we are missing.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler R
:thanks:

(PS: I know its off-topic but am I correct in thinking that ISO9000 does not have any requirements about the specific retention periods of records? I know certain documents will have there own regualtions/laws but ISO does not give specific requirements, correct?)

Tyler,

You should capture what your organization actually does to control its internal and external documents (that are subject to revision control).

Perhaps the reason you cannot find a document control checklist is that it is pretty simple and a checklist would be considered overkill:

Objective: Necessary and valid information available to authorized users

Checklist:

1. Review and approve documents before issue
  2. Review and approved changed documents before issue
  3. Document approvers are competent and have authority
  4. Identify changes and current revision status
  5. Make the approved documents available to those who need the information
  6. Document can be understood by its users
  7. No two documents share the same identity
  8. List the links to necessary external documents
  9. Make the list of links available to those who need the information
  10. File obsolete documents (see filing and archiving procedure)
  11. Monitored by document users against objective for effectiveness
  12. Process corrected and improved as necessary to fulfill objective
Your organization should already have decided how long to keep its archives.

For economies of storage space you may want to determine when records can go from filing (instant access) to archives (planned access).

Capture what you do and tweak that instead of inventing something new from the standard.

John

T

tylerr

John,

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the information.

We are taking the time to update our current QMS (which was adopted from another company to begin with) while implementing ISO9000. You might be right about a checklist being overkill but we wanted to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. Thank you for the list you provided; it actually did remind me to add a step about checking for document identity.

Unfortunately, our current system of record retention is not well documented and many of the retention periods will need to be determined. Many of the retention periods are up to the individuals doing the filing and they will need to be consulted. I just wanted to make sure that I was correct in my thinking that ISO900x does not require a specific retention period; just that they are defined and comply with any regulaitons/laws.

Thanks,

Tyler R

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
John,

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the information.

We are taking the time to update our current QMS (which was adopted from another company to begin with) while implementing ISO9000. You might be right about a checklist being overkill but we wanted to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. Thank you for the list you provided; it actually did remind me to add a step about checking for document identity.

Unfortunately, our current system of record retention is not well documented and many of the retention periods will need to be determined. Many of the retention periods are up to the individuals doing the filing and they will need to be consulted. I just wanted to make sure that I was correct in my thinking that ISO900x does not require a specific retention period; just that they are defined and comply with any regulaitons/laws.

Thanks,

Tyler R

Tyler,

Yes, your colleagues are going to have to make a decision or two.

ISO 9001 does not tell them how long to keep their records but does require them to be retrievable and legible.

Bear in mind that data and information storage technologies go out of date so PDCA the retrievability of archives every now and then.

That way you will not be left with everything on the modern day equivalents of microfiche, 3½in floppy disks or delaminating CDs.

John

H

Houcka

In addition to John's good feedback, consider the following for your checklist:

- Ensuring the revisions continue to comply with ISO and regulatory requirements.
- Evaluation of other QMS documents that may be affected by the proposed changes.
- Notifying the document users of the revision.

Top Bottom