Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS?

Q

QAMTY

Hi all

While going deeper into the document control and products
I´m facing doubts as to what is the best way.

Under QMS 9000 2008

It is included the Control of documents, which I think in general covers the basics for any company.

But recently I found it may be useful to adopt ECO, which is
I think slightly different than how QMS considers the documents control.

I work in an engineering company producing equipment (pumps. heat recuperators, vessels, etc) and I think that in my opinion may fit the ECO
concept.

When specifically is better to adopt ECO´s? and when to
use control covered by QMS?

If choosing ECO´s, I may be running both concepts.?

When certifying to ISO, is there a disadvantage?

Thanks for your clarification

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Document control ECO or QMS?

QMS 9000 2008 is?

I've used a version of an ECO to do document control/changes very effectively. One issue is that an ECO may have too many fields to be filled, so it's often better to use a specific document change note, which looks much like an ECO

Q

QAMTY

Re: Document control ECO or QMS?

Thanks Andyn

So, you use both, and which for what kind of documents?
When you say, lot of fields to be filled, yuo mean to use an alternate ECO form or
to use other more simple control form , like that used under QMS?

Thansk

ECO is used to make changes to Engineering/Design specs (it often has many 'boxes' on the form for things not affected by a simple document change, like what to do with the 'previous rev. parts' in stock etc, before the next rev is cut into Production)

A simpl(er) version can be used for QMS changes. I used both side by side. One for Engineering, one for QMS.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Andyn

How do you manage these 2 points:

I plan to use only one form called ECO
on the upper half page, the requester describes the change
and in the lower part of the same form the Enginneering rejects or accepts the change describing affected documents, this because, for my records
Ok I´ll have my list of ECO´s, which ones were rejected and which do not.

Dont´want to use two forms ECR and ECO because I think for the registering is tedious and time consuming.
suppose I receive an ECR, then if accepted , I have to raise an ECO with another number, then when I need to check the status, I have to go to see ECR´s and ECO´s
What is the purpose to use both ECR and ECO?

Then othe point, at what step of the ECO The closeout takes place?
is it used to close ECO´s?, because I´ve seen some forms which don´t
mention the closeout.

Thanks

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Andyn

How do you manage these 2 points:

I plan to use only one form called ECO
on the upper half page, the requester describes the change
and in the lower part of the same form the Enginneering rejects or accepts the change describing affected documents, this because, for my records
Ok I´ll have my list of ECO´s, which ones were rejected and which do not.

Dont´want to use two forms ECR and ECO because I think for the registering is tedious and time consuming.
suppose I receive an ECR, then if accepted , I have to raise an ECO with another number, then when I need to check the status, I have to go to see ECR´s and ECO´s
What is the purpose to use both ECR and ECO?

Then othe point, at what step of the ECO The closeout takes place?
is it used to close ECO´s?, because I´ve seen some forms which don´t
mention the closeout.

Thanks
Your points about managing two numbering and tracking systems are valid and well made. If you can make your ECO form straightforward and easy to use, I see no reason why it can't be used for both engineering drawings and process documents.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
FWIW:
I used a single form for all document changes - any possible impact of the change was covered. If it didn't apply, the box was left unchecked. If it did apply, there was space for a description of the impact. All was done in the name of Configuration Management.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Wes

Well I have one for QMS documents and plan to use other
pro Engineering changes because I think there are a lot issues
around this area.

By using a simple ECO form trying to have control over
the request and in the same form including the revision the solution
and implementation, closing out the ECO when changes are done, but still
in doubt when the closeout have to be applied

When changes are done or when the changes resulted successful

Thanks

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
but still in doubt when the closeout have to be applied
When changes are done or when the changes resulted successful
When the changes are done, it is done with all the thought and application of its consequences. This is the closeout for you as I can visualize. I say this because it is a decision taken when we say DONE.
Changes must normally result in success. If not then you begin an other ECO process, and this time apply thought and consequence of the changes more technically, as you know more now what change considerations were missed.
As I said earlier, bad ECO's make more ECO's.

PS: An engineering change request can come to you in any form, and need not be in a prescribed form. Do not make your system complicated, rather make it work for you.

gdwaikle

Involved In Discussions
This may be slightly off the topic of C/O's but I am working on a CAPA for a failed effectiveness check related to Engineer Orders or C/O's. They pulled a sample of several dozen C/O's and looked for errors such as:

1. Missing Part Number on redlines
2. Typographical errors
3. Incorrect redlines
4. Incorrect revision on Artwork
5. Incorrect Specifications
6. Inadvertent removal of CE mark
7. Vendor can?t print gridlines (Inadequate Design Transfer)
8. Missing DEHP symbol from finished labels
9. Sterilization Code inadvertently changed from GAMA to EO

My question is whether you can ever get 100% perfect C/O's with no mistakes? Since no process can ever be perfect, including generating Engineering Orders, what is an acceptable number of defects or errors. I can't think of a way you could ever Poka Yoke a change order system. Engineers are useally very careful but they too can occasionly make an error. :frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 51
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
S Looking for Document Control Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Challenges in document control, revisional control, and change control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
tony s Performance Indicators for Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
T Is there a difference between form control and document control ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
x-files Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Nonconformance on document control - Unapproved document on production server Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control - Document Revision History Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M I Attached My first Document Control Procedure for your Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Gman2 My Attached Document Control Procedure for your Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4