Document Control in a Company with Only Paper Procedures

K

kapoor

Document Control

What should be the control points to be included in a good Document Control Procedure for a company maintaing all documents as soft copy.I would be thankful to members if someone could provide me a good procedure for Document Control .

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hello Kapoor,

I can't offer you a procedure (Our stuff is in Swedish, and I don't care much for translating it), but I'm certain some of the others can come up with something. However, have discussed this topic several times under Documentation and forms. Have a look there or run a search. For starters I suggest the thread Control and distribution of document. There are also several other relevant threads.

/Claes

JodiB

Still plugging along
I would be very nervous having all documents maintained in soft copy. I would want to have a backup disk(s) if nothing else. And it doesn't hurt to have critical docs in printed form for those times when computer access is not available.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Lucinda said:

I would be very nervous having all documents maintained in soft copy. I would want to have a backup disk(s) if nothing else. And it doesn't hurt to have critical docs in printed form for those times when computer access is not available.
Ah, come on, Lucinda, walk on the wild side!:biglaugh:

The only time we've had a problem with e-docs is the day before the auditor shows up, happens every time!

Best preventive measure for web based QMS - have a web that you only use for viewing, with a working copy that you use for all your revisions, publish from your working web to the viewing web. If anything ever happens, you've still got one complete and current web.

Back-up disks? We don' need no steenking back-up disks.:vfunny:

Sorry, it was a long day with too many unwanted surprises!

Lucinda said:

Well, We can use any type of medium we want (4.2.1 note 3) but naturally we also have to follow the requirements in 4.2.3e and 4.2.4.

SteelMaiden said:
Back-up disks? We don' need no steenking back-up disks.

Sorry, it was a long day with too many unwanted surprises!
Like problems with e-docs? ;)

/Claes

R

Randy Stewart

Gotta go with e-docs

We have used the "CAD is master" for some time now. So it fits that our e-docs are master. We have a central location with a Master List that includes "hot links" to the procedures, forms and flows. We have our disaster recovery plan in place, mainly daily backups on 2 sets of magnetic tapes, one is stored off site. We also have a mirrored server at a remote location. The back up is mainly due to the amount of CAD data we require at any given time (Master Body Gages, Die Developments, etc.) so most may not have the resources necessary. The mag tapes have worked for years and can survive for over 7 years (accounting data).
When a document is posted in the designated location it is considered approved and current. The doc control person is the only one that can post to this folder. Our procedure states that all printed copies are considered uncontrolled and must be verified by the user to be current.
Hope this helps.

'Cinda -- Read my signature, let go of the hardcopies!!!!:biglaugh:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Document Control

kapoor said:

What should be the control points to be included in a good Document Control Procedure for a company maintaing all documents as soft copy.I would be thankful to members if someone could provide me a good procedure for Document Control .
Kapoor,

Others have posted some sage advice regarding e-docs. But if for some strange reason it must be all paper (soft-copy) I would seriously suggest that either all docs are stored in a fireproof safe or that backup copies are stored in a fireproof safe or off site.

Of course, you have to clearly identify issue currency -- using a red "controlled copy" or "latest revision" stamp for current revisions and maybe an "obsolete - do not use" stamp for obsolete docs you might want to keep for "knowledge preservation". Maybe a master list or other easy method so everyone can easily determine the latest rev. of any doc.

Also consider how you will review and approve them; format and content issues; and handling customer docs.

Write somethign that works for you and the users of the docs. If you doubt your procedure, post it here for the members to review and critique -- post it as text instead of an attachment if you want everyone to be able to view it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Re: Gotta go with e-docs

Randy Stewart said:
---X---
'Cinda -- Read my signature, let go of the hardcopies!!!!:biglaugh:
Great minds, Stew...:D

And our setup seem to be more or less identical to yours.

Mike S. said:
---X---
But if for some strange reason it must be all paper (soft-copy)
---X---
As for paper or electrons: Who says that paper is safer than digital media?

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Re: Gotta go with e-docs

Claes Gefvenberg said:

As for paper or electrons: Who says that paper is safer than digital media?

/Claes
Ummm, I dunno. I didn't say that, did I Claes? :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Document Control - Changing Company Logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Q Document Control in an Engineering Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D Document Revisions when a different company takes control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Electronic Document Control in a Company - Organization of Files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
S Document Control Reporting Line in a Small Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Control: Contract between my company and customer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Kickstart new Document Control Department - Construction company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Document Control - Merging two Document systems (small company incorporated)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Z Document Control in a Construction Management Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Document control - Missing drawings (prints) - Older company and older workforce Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
S Looking for Document Control Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Challenges in document control, revisional control, and change control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
tony s Performance Indicators for Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5