Document Control - Informing People of Document Changes

A

Al Dyer

Very good thoughts,

How do we prove understanding of revised and/or new documents?

Can we actually go back to management review and key measurables to prove that our systems are effective.

I guess I maybe going towards QOS, but there are process measurable that lead to key measurables, which lead to proof of effectiveness.

Whatever medium used to convey data, the results should have an effect on the bottom line, otherwise why do it?

Just thinking out loud, can we obviscate the trees for the forrest!

As always, comments welcome and appreciated!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Just to throw in another angle...

Whenever we revise a document (no matter what type, procedure, manual, wi, or form) I send an e-mail to manager(s) and supervisors of the area(s) affected notifiying them that there was a revision, with instructions to notify affected personnel and provide training as needed. We do not spend a lot of time getting sign-offs etc. We figure that until our audits show us that personnel are not being notified or that training is insufficient it would be difficult to give us a nonconformance. I do store the sent e-mail in a folder that I created as proof that notification took place, and this is backed up nightly through our servers.

Has anyone ever had problems using a system like this? I have used similar techniques in the past with both ISO and QS systems and never had a nonconformance.

E

energy

Read and Understand

SteelMaiden,

A customer audit a couple of years ago resulted in the auditor asking "How do you know, not only that the person was notified, but read and understand the changes?" Hence, the use of the Document Acknowledgement sheet I have attached in my previous post. Whatever works for you!

I read your message in the Attitude post, following mine. I just hope I didn't prompt it:rolleyes: :smokin:

A

Al Dyer

Energy. there are people that will sign anything to keep their jods. Does that mean they understand the basic system. Signatures are great for auditors to use as proof but not good enough for a productive manufacturing system.

I was at one place where 50% of the people did not speak english, of course they got certified.

Thats what keeps me coming back to management responsibility and key measurements

Go Bill Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

E

energy

Go Al Go

Originally posted by Al Dyer
Signatures are great for auditors to use as proof

That's all I want, Good Buddy! That's all I want. Don't sweat the small ****:biglaugh: :smokin:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Read and Understand

Originally posted by energy
SteelMaiden,

I read your message in the Attitude post, following mine. I just hope I didn't prompt it:rolleyes: :smokin:

never...it's just been a long day and I needed to cut loose!

Anyway, yes sometimes customers (or registrars) can get a little demanding and I've had that same question asked about how do you prove they read it. My answer has always been: Revisions are made and approved per ISO requirements, if you can prove that someone does not know how to do the job because they were not notified of a change to a document, I'll accept the nonconformance. We also do a yearly review on employees, if we feel someone needs to be re-trained it is noted in the management review and documented in training database when done.

Have a good one!

L

lunita

Engineering Change/Release Notice

HI
This is my first time in this forum. I found this great place to find also GREAT ideas for the Document Control.
But now I need HELP,
Trying to do OBSOLETE some Bill of Material (products), their documents affected includes components drawing which includes differents p/n.....(we call them et al).
If I want to make obsolete just one P/N included in a et al drawing, should I ask for a drawing modification which remove that P/N? should I ask for add a "OBSOLETE note" next to the P/N to be obsolted?......Do somebody have a better idea?
We have also Master lists wich describe the status of the part(active, inactive, obsolete)....better idea?

Thanks

J

Jim Biz

Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:
If I want to make obsolete just one P/N included in a et al drawing, should I ask for a drawing modification which remove that P/N?

YES I would think this would be effective for the change. Remove the P/n completley - update the print revision level showing it's removal.

should I ask for add a "OBSOLETE note" next to the P/N to be obsolted?......

NO (My opinion only) I would not ask for "obsolete notes to be placed anywhere on a print that actually has been revised.

What happens in our facility - is that the customers design group - EITHER - change the print revision level - stating sub assembly-part removal OR - change the ending of the part number (example part #XXXXXX-A1 is changed to #XXXXXX-A2)

Hope this helps:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom