Document control ISO 13485:2016

Hi!
Our NB complained that our documents only have new or amended text i red, you can not see all old changes on the current document.. You can see the last amendment on the current document. If you need to see the old text you have to talk to QA who is the only person that have access to old documents. This was not acceptable for the NB.
Text in standard is c) ensure that the current revision status of and Changes to dokuments are identified. I claim that the NB is wrong. I am right. Pls advice!!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Seems to be the NB is telling you what they like to see - not what they need to see.
the standard does not specify HOW the changes are to identified or where they actual differences need to be listed - that's up to your organization and it's processes/systems.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
You need to identify the changes from the preceding version, and these changes need to be identifiable during the period the documents are maintained. There are two things at play here:
  1. The intent behind changelogs in the documents is to make the people working according to/with the documents aware of the changes, and how it impacts the work and their way of working. For this reason we prefer three in-document, as that can help the people returning after long vacations or similar, but our people can look back to the recent previous versions in system, and QA ensures there's no avalanche of updates so people lose sight of it. But yes, the most recent one being available I would regard as compliant, though not robust (what if you have a really minor update (textual correction) 2 days after a major update: people might not know etc. etc. It should be weighed against the risk, but well, pah)
  2. The intent of retention of all revisions/version of the document is to be able to provide a full picture of the product or process at the various points in its existence, for a period in which it is worthwhile to look back.
For 1: Very dependent on information we cannot presume on. Could be: Show training records of personnel to the document from 2., or how they are instructed in induction to only use the hardcopy in a controlled binder, or how they will always pull the recent one up electronically. Elsmar cannot really know.
For 2.: If each version has its changes from its predecessor identified within itself, then take some document you have with multiple revisions going back a long while and demonstrate that you can still retrieve them and demonstrate them to be readable. (Make it ironic if you have so many changelog entries, that the table can be comically compiled into one big one for 'easy perusal' in the mail towards the auditor.) An additional concern they could express is risk of loss or deterioration, and if you securely store those (i.e. backup arranged with retrieval validated) and demonstrate that as well they'll be hard-pressed to make a case on this point.

I can also state that the 13485 handbook that NB auditors might fall back on does not state anything clearly on this matter, and to my knowledge no other applicable standard or regulation does either. Show you meet the intent, and you should be good.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi!
Our NB complained that our documents only have new or amended text i red, you can not see all old changes on the current document.. You can see the last amendment on the current document. If you need to see the old text you have to talk to QA who is the only person that have access to old documents. This was not acceptable for the NB.
Text in standard is c) ensure that the current revision status of and Changes to dokuments are identified. I claim that the NB is wrong. I am right. Pls advice!!!
One thing I'm not clear about from your post is whether you have a revision table/list in each revision, briefly describing the changes in all revisions from the initial release forward. I mean, in addition to highlighting the changes in the latest revision in red.
If you do have such a table - I believe you are in compliance.
If you don't - maybe you're still compliant, however: (a) this is a widely accepted practice and maybe that's what your NB is looking for (out of habit, if nothing else); (b) it's not a difficult practice so maybe consider adding it; and (c) in my experience it's a very convenient tool when trying to quickly figure out something regarding the evolution of then document's content (if changes are described properly - concisely).

James

Involved In Discussions
(b) it's not a difficult practice so maybe consider adding it; and (c) in my experience it's a very convenient tool when trying to quickly figure out something regarding the evolution of the document's content
I have substantially less experience in Quality Management than you Ronen; a small point from a user perspective is that it can be useful also to minimise the amount of information on documents. I have kept a separate change log with specific details of changes for this reason, but highlighting in red any significant changes on re-issued procedures. In addition to this, notifying all users of the changes via email, having them documented in team meeting minutes, etc seems to be effective.

I'm also about to start using an E-QMS which I 'think' will notify users of changes since their last log in automatically - which further helps to reinforce adherence to changes.

Cheers

James

Seems to be the NB is telling you what they like to see - not what they need to see.
the standard does not specify HOW the changes are to identified or where they actual differences need to be listed - that's up to your organization and it's processes/systems.
Thank you for your reply. We are ISO 13485, MDD and ISO 9001 since 12 years but due to Brexit were we forced to change the NB. Our old NB have approved our system since 2008 and we have had about 8 different persons acting for the old NB. No body have objected to our system.
I have seen this in other organisations in the last years. The audits are more and more concentrated on small details rather then doing a overall assesment. Anybody else that have the same axperience? We are based in northen europe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Simple ISO 9001 Compliant Document Control Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
H ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements - Design and Development Department Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
smryan Satisfying the ISO 9001:2008 4.3.2.f External Document Control requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K ISO 9001 vs AS9100 Gap Analysis on Delivery Performance and Document Control AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Z Revision Number vs. Issue Number - Document Control in ISO 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K HACCP Document Control vs. ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 20
D ISO 9001 Document Control for a Paper Mill ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Software for ISO Document Control - Recommendations Wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
P Required Documents and Document Control in Human Resources for ISO 9001:2000 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N Document Control - Is this in compliance with ISO 9001:2000? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 31
S Document Control (Need an Approval Form) - ISO 9001 clause 4.2.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 35
J Document control - ISO 13485:2003 - Obsolete controlled documents shall be retained? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
G ISO 9000:2000 Document Control Procedure P423 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ISO 9001:2000 - 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Used to be document and data control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Y Which ISO 9001:2000 Document Control System software? Your opinions / experience? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C ISO 14001 Document and Data Control Corrective Action Request Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 31
A The basic requirements of ISO 9000:2000 in terms of document control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7