Document Control ISO and FDA

I have a question about document control.

If you have a document you send around for a business for approval signatures, but it gets half way around those people but then requires changes, should it go to revision 2.

For example, suppose Mary, Ben, Carol and Anne are to approve a document created by Brandon (all not real names).

Mary and Ben sign the revision 1 document, but carol requires the colour to be blue instead of green. The document is changed accordingly.

Should it go to revision 2 of the document showing a history of the change to blue from green

Or

Can it still be revision 1, with no document change history showing the change from blue to green.

I can see an argument it could be revision 1 because it did not get all signatures (i.e. Carol ans Anne did not sign).
However, without the change history Mary and Ben may not know what has changed. Additionally, without going to revision 2 Bendon sometimes makes changes without getting Mary and Ben to resign the approval sheet because he already has their signature on the approval sheet when it went around originally for signature before the change (i.e. when Carol requests a change, he makes the change but isnstead of sending it around for all the signatures again, he passes it only to Carol and then Anne, because he has signatures for a revision 1 document from Mary and Ben from before the changes were made).

Should the document have gone to revision 2, and if yes is there anywhere I can 'point to' to show this is what should happen?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A document must not be released until all appropriate individuals have approved all significant changes. If additional changes are made during the review process, the document should be kicked back to document control and then re-routed so that the people who already reviewed the change order are made aware of the new changes. A document does not undergo multiple revisions when it is on a change order. It moves to the next revision upon official document release.

Additional note: There should be protections in place that prevent the originator from slipping in additional changes while a document is on change order.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I would prefer the document NOT up-revise just because someone required a change prior to approval. I used to know someone who made quite a fuss about the difference between versions and revisions and while I understand the point they were trying to make, the argument ignore the core issue that there can only be one currently released instance of a document at any time, no matter how many corners people try to imagine.

Enternationalist

Involved In Discussions
Maintaining that level of detail is usually unnecessary and burdensome. When a document is finished and approved, give it its version/revision number. It adds no value to track every single alteration made on the way; you only need a record of what actually got used in practice.

ChrisM

Involved In Discussions
If not all the approval signatories sign the first version, then it never got approved so there is no need to revise it yet again before circulating it for signature by all parties.

What you should be aiming for is an approval system where, after drafts have been circulated for comment, only 2 signatures are required for formal issue.

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
I agree with Chris. It is good to diferentiate between review (consultation...) and approval. It seems you are now treating them as one.

FRA 2 FDA

Involved In Discussions
Exactly what others have said. If we get part of the way through the approval process and someone makes a change, it just goes back to the beginning of approvals with an explanation of what changed to save the people who already approved from having to reread the whole thing. If they have no objections, they just sign again and send it to the next person. The revision doesn't change because it was never released during the initial approval round.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
To me, the reason we are routing the document for approvals is to get input/feedback from process owners to ensure that the current revision is complete and cohesive. I anticipate changes through the approval process, so there is NO need to up-rev during this as the official revision has not yet been approved and released from document control. I can't imagine redlining something and up-revving it over and over again, that seems far too tedious and repetitive!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 51
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Simple ISO 9001 Compliant Document Control Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
H ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements - Design and Development Department Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
smryan Satisfying the ISO 9001:2008 4.3.2.f External Document Control requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K ISO 9001 vs AS9100 Gap Analysis on Delivery Performance and Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Z Revision Number vs. Issue Number - Document Control in ISO 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K HACCP Document Control vs. ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 20
D ISO 9001 Document Control for a Paper Mill ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Software for ISO Document Control - Recommendations Wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
P Required Documents and Document Control in Human Resources for ISO 9001:2000 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N Document Control - Is this in compliance with ISO 9001:2000? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 31
S Document Control (Need an Approval Form) - ISO 9001 clause 4.2.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 35
J Document control - ISO 13485:2003 - Obsolete controlled documents shall be retained? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
G ISO 9000:2000 Document Control Procedure P423 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ISO 9001:2000 - 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Used to be document and data control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Y Which ISO 9001:2000 Document Control System software? Your opinions / experience? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C ISO 14001 Document and Data Control Corrective Action Request Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 31
A The basic requirements of ISO 9000:2000 in terms of document control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Document Control - Applying Suitable Identification to Obsolete Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Document Control Question involving DocuSign US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Help in document control procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Training on the importance of Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3