Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers

How do you keep track of your external documents flowed down from your customers?

I have an excel spreadsheet that lists the title, the customer, the rev date, original issue, the date we received the spec, the date it was reviewed.

I have a huge problem of keeping it up to date because we have dozens of customers each with their own specifications and it's hard to keep track of what level/date they are at. I often find missing information or just blatantly wrong. This is an audit finding waiting to happen. It keeps me up at night sometimes.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: Document Control Management

If you don't have an agreement with the customer to notify you when relevant documents are updated, then you have the responsibility to keep up with them. The most common method I see to deal with this set up a recurring check and then divide and conquer.

In the spreadsheet you have, put a column showing where you need to check for the updated document such as a web link or a contact person. Establish a frequency for each document to be reviewed and have the spreadsheet flag you when a document is due to be checked. If the list is overwhelming, don't make them all due at the same time and assign different people to check different ones so that it will get done as scheduled.

If you have industry specifications (ASTM, ANSI, ISO, etc.), there are standards companies that provided services to notify you when documents are updated. Use them as much as you can.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Document Control Management

[MrOctober] has a spreadsheet to centralize tracking these documents. It sounds as though it's maintained independently of other parts of the system.

I don't know what your regulatory requirements are - but making the QA guy responsible for maintaining something independently of the rest of the system using a spreadsheet is a traditional rudimentary response to a perceived requirement.

Are these documents deliverables with customer orders? Are they already being maintained independently in customer files, perhaps as the responsibility of somebody in a Sales role? That in itself may be meeting the requirement - if the order review process includes verifying that the order references a revision of the customer spec that is already in the organization's possession.

I don't know if this helps, but in small organizations I prefer orderly decentralized controls with local responsibility over centralized responsibility with inadequate software tools and resources.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Method of Document Management (Control) in Engineering - Please Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control (with Revisions Control) Management Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
3 Document Control & Storage - Project Management Organization and Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
B Responsibilities for Record and Document Management, Development and Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D What companies do a great job at engineering document management systems and control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M What is the best Electronic Document Control Management System? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46
D Document Control Management System (MyDMS) & Revision Time Frames Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Z Document Control in a Construction Management Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Document Management, Version Control & Document Storage Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
Marc Document Management and Version Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
J Corporate Procedures and document management/control procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Document Control and Configuration Management Book Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 50
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
S Looking for Document Control Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3