Document Control Matrix - Will it ever be used?

M

mjohnson

Document Control Matrix

Is anyone using his or her "Document Control Matrix" like this?

We are developing our document control matrix to look, what I would consider, pretty standard (i.e. title, type, number, retention information, media type etc.)

While putting this matrix together I can't help but get the feeling that this table will be seldom used and/or updated (except by an auditor - internal or external.)

I thought it might be a better use of time to make this matrix truly functional, by that I mean a database. A database that might allow you to develop and print categories, such as:

All documents in revision stage
All documents relating to a specific environmental aspect.
All documents under a specific employees stewardship
Etc.

IMO this would increase the functionality of this matrix enormously. Audit checklists would be developed based on this matrix. This matrix could easily identify audit trails. Document review lists could be generated and distributed to those responsible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the advantages/disadvantages of developing a document control matrix to work as an interactive database?
Also, if you happen to be pro-database, how would you tackle this?

Kind Regards,

MCJ

Randy

Super Moderator
2 really big questions..

1. Are you already registered to an ISO/QS standard?

2. If you are, why are you re-inventing the wheel?

My answer to your question and the information you gave is this...

Do what you want, when you want and how you want as long as you can prove positive control over your documents.

Make sure those documents that are related to regulatory issues are kept current and that you specify how this is to be accomplished.

Don't over complicate a simple requirement. Sometimes more is not better...it's just more.

:bigwave:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm a database freak, but they seldom make sense in small companies. To me the decision would be based upon the number of documents which will be a function of the size and complexity of your company. Another consideration is the extent of the documents you want to control. Do departments (assuming a mid-sized to large company) issue and control some of their own documents? How do these fit into the scheme?

If you're comfortable with Access (the 'standard' Office database) then hey - go for it. A document control database isn't hard to pull together.

> Don't over complicate a simple requirement. Sometimes more
> is not better...it's just more.

I agree with this.

Another database freak

Hi,

Well... I use databases for control of documents, records and the internal audit system (among other things). They made my life a lot easier. I save time and make fewer mistakes.

The really good thing is that they are so easy to keep up to date. Then it's just a matter of distributing the data via the intranet....

/Claes

M

M Greenaway

A database is always going to be far more flexible and useful than a straightforward list or matrix.

MS Access is superb for creating databases and once you have mastered it I am sure you will use databases for all sorts of information.

My advice is learn MS Access.

G

gobjob

Why don't you look at MS Outlook form design and create your own pseudo database. (You can read to MS Access. I have not tried that yet.) But by completing form, appending document, a couple action buttons you can electronically review and approve and the offshoot is the matrix you want. You can create many views. It is not too hard to figure out.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am addicted to data bases!!

I agree the list should be functional and I think it can support a small company just as easily. The wizard in MS access is dead easy....and you can easily add as things develop....AND IF YOU WISH...TOU CAN UTILIZE THETABLE FORMAT

A

AndyU

I'm looking to implement a Document control system into a firm that has been around since the 70's so there are many, many versions of the same files. So its going to be a case of sort, renumber and store in a central folder on the system. I was going to use Excel to set up the fields and hyperlink to the file.
If you have any examples of Access databases which would do a similar thing I would like to see them.
Many thanks in advance
Andy

G

Greg B

AndyU said:
I'm looking to implement a Document control system into a firm that has been around since the 70's so there are many, many versions of the same files. So its going to be a case of sort, renumber and store in a central folder on the system. I was going to use Excel to set up the fields and hyperlink to the file.
If you have any examples of Access databases which would do a similar thing I would like to see them.
Many thanks in advance
Andy

Andy,

Here is a link to a thread I started last year. It has a link to a freeware program called MyDMS (Document Managment System). My company has been using it for a year and we also get updates as the system is improved. It tracks ALL of our documents, revisions (even keeps a copy of old documents) and owenership etc. I even wrote a set of Administration books for uploading the info if your interested.
P.S: I have NO affiliation with this System nor it's owner. I endorse it in the Cove because I think it is a great system (I have recommended it a number of threads)
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=52059

Greg B

A

AndyU

Warehouse Audit

I am due to Audit my companies warehouse. Does anyone have a checklist for goods inwards / storage / despatch. We are a mainly electronics and plastic mouldings company. I am especially interested in the RoHS areas. What to look for etc.
Any help would be great.

Top Bottom