Document control of software? Software packages that produce documents

rstocum

Involved In Discussions
Like many companies, we have various software packages that output documents which we use in manufacturing of product. CAD/CAM package produces CNC programs, Gage calibration package produces calibration reports and stickers that go on the gages. Management software produces travelers, shipping pick lists, quotes, etc.

We control these documents by printing a sample copy, numbering it as an "exhibit", and entering the control number in our document control software. Going on 5 years as ISO registered, and no problems with this method.

The QM has recently started wondering if we need to "control" the software packages themselves. I find no specific requirement to do this in the standard, but I imagine there is a way to 'back door' such a requirement.

Can anyone tell me, is it required (or even just a good idea) to document control your software packages that produce documents that are controlled in your QMS? If so, please give an example of your method for doing this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Document control of software?

If it hasn't been an issue until now, I would question why the QM has suddenly begun to think about it. Has anything changed to warrant this sudden concern?

T

Ted Schmitt

Like many companies, we have various software packages that output documents which we use in manufacturing of product. CAD/CAM package produces CNC programs, Gage calibration package produces calibration reports and stickers that go on the gages. Management software produces travelers, shipping pick lists, quotes, etc.
Be aware of 7.6 last paragraph... since you are certified already, I imagine that you are taking this into consideration...

We control these documents by printing a sample copy, numbering it as an "exhibit", and entering the control number in our document control software. Going on 5 years as ISO registered, and no problems with this method.

The QM has recently started wondering if we need to "control" the software packages themselves. I find no specific requirement to do this in the standard, but I imagine there is a way to 'back door' such a requirement.

Can anyone tell me, is it required (or even just a good idea) to document control your software packages that produce documents that are controlled in your QMS? If so, please give an example of your method for doing this.
Sounds like extra work and Jim´s idea of infinite regression... I wouldn´t think this is necessary and as Gidget put it, if during the 5 years, nobody picked up on it or asked for it, leave it be or soon you might start controlling your Microsoft Office versions... :notme:

rstocum

Involved In Discussions

Section 7.6 - yeah, we run an SPC analysis program called SQCpack. It crunches the numbers on our gage R&R, and runs histograms on our SPC data which we then provide to the customers who want it. I'm glad you mentioned this because I have no idea what objective evidence we have that we verified it's ability to satisfy the intended objective. I can easily answer the registrar's question about how often we have reconfirmed that - "Well Joe, it's never been necessary...".

I'm not sure what has got the QM wondering about this. He may have got a bug in his ear from one of his QM buddies, or heard about it on some crazy forum or something. He would be delighted to hear that it is not required, and not necessarily a good idea - which is what I thought in the first place.

Last edited:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Why control?

Why use examples as evidence of control of these documents at all? :confused:

Taking one of your examples. travellers are records of a planning process traceable to a job number. They need to be controlled as records.

If your travelers say how you make something then the document control procedure should describe how the content is managed (who can change the data in the software database) and that a record is generated with each traveler. More akin to what your QM is describing.

Your system should concentrate on the elements of 7.5.1, not 4.2.3.

It's no wonder we get the "document control guys" label when we seem to be obsessed with putting form numbers and issue levels on anything that doesn't move too quickly. :lol:

P.S. not sure why this ws moved to the software control section!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Document Control of Online Management Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
leftoverture OpenDocMan Document Control Software Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R A simple electronic (software) document control question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Work Instruction Application (Software for Document Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
V Electronic Document Control Software suggestions wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
D How to Control Software Program based Forms - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Document Control Software Pricing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Document Control of ERP Report Format from Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Document Control Software Program with Revision Tracking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Casana Control ES vs. Compliant Pro Document Control Software - Recommendations please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Part 11 Compliant Document Control Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 30
B Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
N MasterControl Document Control Software Screen Shots wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Looking for Electronic Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
M Microsoft Sharepoint as Document Control Software - FDA Validation Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
J Document Control Software - Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
S Validation of VCS software for document control? Small medical start-up Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Control of Obsolete Documents - Changing document control software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Software for ISO Document Control - Recommendations Wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Document Control Software recommendations for Part 11 medical device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Information or Recommendations for Document Control Software? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Part-11 Compliant Document Control & Integrated Training Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Document Control Software - ROI - Need Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Document Control Software Suggestions - Anyone using MIPSIS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D FREE software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Document Control where a document is part of a software package Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Looking for Document Control software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Al Rosen Recommendations for Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Document Management, Version Control & Document Storage Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
H Which Wiki Software is ISO9001 Compliant (Document Control) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Best Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Software for Document Control - Recommendations Please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P Info needed on Software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control Software - Seeking Experiences and Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
A Seeking: Document Control/Training Software Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A What Electronic Document Control Software are you using? 'Canned' or In-House? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Document Issue & Control in ISO9000-3 - Medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Document Control Software - Small engineering firm - Reviews or Recommendations? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D "Document Control Software 2.0" program from The Harrington Group? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4