Document Control Software Program with Revision Tracking Recommendations

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
Also see Document and Document Control related files. There are some spreadsheets there. I'm not sure if there are any databases (such as an Access database) in the list. Many companies just use spreadsheets.

Document Control related discussion threads.

Are you looking for 'stand alone' document control software?

What kind of documents do you want to control?

How many documents do you have that you want to control?

More information needed from mf.murat.

I want to be control our Quality system guidelines. Sometımes our guıdelines maybe change. We must be control its revision. And ı want free software about ıt. So all person can see actual guıdelines in software.

We have 1500 document approximately. Some are used by other departments. Updates are done by us and then distributed to hard copy for production part.

The documents should be reviewed per year. So we must know whıch document ın whıch area and whıch revısıon ıs correct.

İf we use software, other personnel can check theır document revısıon easily.

Please share me your mdb database or software about thıs topıc.

Sorry my Englısh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
In my own way, I'm going to tell you how to build a watch, even though you only asked for the time.

I think it is important that you first understand the underlying process you are trying to control.. At the end of this post, I'll discuss the factors in Electronic Document Management to guide you in selecting software to help you do what you ask.

First:
The term for the process you are trying to get under control is
"Configuration Management." You should Google that term for other insight into the process.

The basis of Configuration Management is to do the following, more or less simultaneously:
  1. go through a formal process of revision and approval when you change any aspect of the part or document
  2. make a determination about the compatibility of the changed part or document with all the other Associated Documents (a specific term)
  3. determine if any of the Associated Documents must be revised to be compatible in form, fit, or function with the original changed document
  4. notify all parties who may be concerned about the change and get acknowledgment that change is implemented and obsolete documents or processes are withdrawn
  5. monitor the process to ensure all the changes work together
That may seem overly complicated. Let's explore a very simple change and see how the steps above would fit in.

One of my favorite examples I frequently use (to carry a premise of saving on assembly cost) is switching from Phillips Head fasteners to Torx drive or square drive fasteners for more efficient assembly. (Form and Fit of thread profile and length are the same, fastener Function remains - service personnel may need notice to add Torx driver to kit, but can replace with current stock of Phillips head)

On the surface, this is a simple change, but consider:
  1. organization needs to make a formal document change on the part, checking and approving the change.
  2. We check the compatibility with the mating parts, but we also have to
  3. change work instruction, assembly tools, inventory (use up old inventory first?), purchasing (same or different supplier? same or different price?), repair instructions sent to field personnel, pricing on the final product, advertising, etc.
  4. notify all parties - quality inspectors, assembly workers, quality inspectors at customer, suppliers, inventory clerks, repair stations, decide whether repair stations can continue to repair with Phillips head in inventory or must implement new Torx, decide whether recall is necessary to change out old parts,
  5. continue to monitor how all parties adapt to and implement change and decide whether further modification of any of the steps is necessary
All of us go through these steps consciously or unconsciously. The key is to do the steps purposefully and consistently and to record the steps as they are completed to assure optimum efficiency. (It would be foolish to scrap or sell off all the old Phillips head fasteners and order in all new Torx ones, only to discover no one had thought to order new Torx drivers.)

I know lots about "electronic document management" (EDM) software.

<SNIP>

Make sure you know and understand the difference between "document sharing" and "document management."

Here's a brief summary to start you off:

Document Management Software

Background:
An organization wants to improve efficiency of document management by “grafting” a program over current legacy files and all newly-created files which will provide the following minimum benefits:

a) Ease of Search & Retrieval (on different fields/characteristics)

b) Ensure only the most recent revision is available on standard Search menu

c) Automate the procedure of notifying pertinent parties a document is ready for redlining

d) Maintain an audit trail for the status of documents (released or waiting for checking/approval [and by whom])

e) Allow “full preview” of documents without opening native programs – i.e. AutoCAD documents can be viewed without latest revision of AutoCAD being resident on user’s computer.

f) Permit “group printing” of documents, regardless of native file format.

g) Maintain up to 30 security levels on any document, determining whether user has authority to create, modify, redline, view, print, copy, etc.

How do they work?
The primary feature of Document Control Software is a relational database which manipulates very small files called “metatags”, which relate to certain attributes of documents. Basic attributes are file name, revision level, author, topic, key words, type of file format, etc. which are used for field headings in the database.

By querying the database, a user retrieves a “menu” of documents which meet the search criteria. Self-contained viewing software permits a user to view and print documents, regardless of the native file format. The views can be scrolled, zoomed, and cropped (i.e. user can print an enlarged detail of a document.)

Users who have redline authority can markup documents without invoking the native file program (the redlines are saved as “overlays” in separate files without changing the original document.)

Users who have checking/approval/redline authority can be automatically notified via email when a document is ready for their review. The program will track when and whether the review is completed and maintain an audit trail for “real time” status reports on any or all documents in the review process.

By keying on the attribute “Revision level”, the program can ensure only the most recent, authorized revision is available to most users, reserving authority to view “superseded” documents to special categories of users.

An important consideration in grafting legacy documents into the new system is choosing fields pertinent to the organization. Many documents, like autocad and word documents have features which provide automatic tags (create date, author, department, etc.) [click on "properties" under File in a Word document to get an idea of already available fields.]

The problem is most users write documents which still show "valued customer" as the author because they have never explored the Properties feature.

An expense to consider is going back into each legacy document and adding the meta tags which allow for sorting and retrieval.

I hope this helps - there are many consultants like me who would come in and give your organization background on choosing the best brand for your organization. Caution is "Are they truly independent or do they have bias toward one brand?"-Wes Bucey, Quality Manager

I didn't add in that post that most software programs have web versions, too. In point of fact, the documents "could" be located either on one server or scattered among hundreds or even thousands of hard drives or servers as long as they were connected or accessible via password over a network, a virtual private network, or the internet.

[<SNIP>

Back to today
Google "electronic document management" to see some other thoughts on this topic. I hesitate to recommend ANY product by brand name, because the competitive nature of the business is that one company can be hopelessly obsolete in a month or two and another can have a great breakthrough in the same period. Regulatory laws change quickly - a user's current and projected situation in that regard are important factors. Current quantity of documents and projected number of authors and changes are a major factor. Collaboration with suppliers and customers is another big factor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
<snippage>
How do they work?
The primary feature of Document Control Software is a relational database which manipulates very small files called “metatags”, which relate to certain attributes of documents. Basic attributes are file name, revision level, author, topic, key words, type of file format, etc. which are used for field headings in the database.
<more snippage>
This is almost correct, but not quite. A "meta tag" (two words) is used in HTML or XHTML (web-based) pages to handle metadata. It's of the same category as the "quote" tag most of us are familiar with here. Thus a web-based document management system might incorporate meta tags in its page coding, but in that sense the metadata is not contained in "very small files," but within the header of the coded page itself.

In document management software metadata is stored for each document, but that unit of information isn't referred to as a meta tag.

P

Phiobi

Usually when people ask this question I make a point to recomend a specific company / brand for software that should not be used, but it always gets me in trouble with that company.... this time I am keeping quiet :)

Good luck with your search, each company claims to have the best, you really should speak to other companies like yours, see what they use and how they find it.

6thsense

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I have tried out KnowledgeTree, You can download the opensource (free version). Its easy to setup and it works very fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
leftoverture OpenDocMan Document Control Software Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R A simple electronic (software) document control question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Work Instruction Application (Software for Document Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
V Electronic Document Control Software suggestions wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
D How to Control Software Program based Forms - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Document Control Software Pricing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Document Control of ERP Report Format from Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Casana Control ES vs. Compliant Pro Document Control Software - Recommendations please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Part 11 Compliant Document Control Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 30
B Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
N MasterControl Document Control Software Screen Shots wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Looking for Electronic Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
M Microsoft Sharepoint as Document Control Software - FDA Validation Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
J Document Control Software - Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
S Validation of VCS software for document control? Small medical start-up Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Control of Obsolete Documents - Changing document control software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Software for ISO Document Control - Recommendations Wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Document Control Software recommendations for Part 11 medical device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Information or Recommendations for Document Control Software? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Part-11 Compliant Document Control & Integrated Training Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Document Control Software - ROI - Need Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Document Control Software Suggestions - Anyone using MIPSIS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D FREE software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Document control of software? Software packages that produce documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Document Control where a document is part of a software package Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Looking for Document Control software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Al Rosen Recommendations for Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Document Management, Version Control & Document Storage Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
H Which Wiki Software is ISO9001 Compliant (Document Control) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Best Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Software for Document Control - Recommendations Please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P Info needed on Software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control Software - Seeking Experiences and Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
A Seeking: Document Control/Training Software Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A What Electronic Document Control Software are you using? 'Canned' or In-House? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Document Issue & Control in ISO9000-3 - Medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Document Control Software - Small engineering firm - Reviews or Recommendations? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D "Document Control Software 2.0" program from The Harrington Group? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Y Which ISO 9001:2000 Document Control System software? Your opinions / experience? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7