Document Control Software - Sharepoint

J

jtodd

Hey all, just found this forum site. Glad I'm not alone in this chaos of trying to be AS9100 compliant.

We are two weeks away from our annual audit, this will be my first. I have been tasked to get us update to do with our 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 sections of the AS9100:2008. A few months ago we did a preliminary audit with a 3rd party and failed on our document control aspects. Although I'm revising our documents on those sections, we have the bigger problem of what's a good software solution to handle document control and management.

Has anyone used Microsoft Sharepoint? Is there any major obstacles in regards to the AS9100? Did you have to do any customization? Pros and Cons?

Thanks

J

Jeff Frost

You can use the software you already have by placing read only version of procedures in a folder on your server. Have IT protect the folder with limited write/re-write access to yourself and two others.

Next build a table of contents in word in the same folder on the drive and hyperlink each document to the table of contents. Because the folder is protected you can place a short cut to the table of contents onto each computer within the company that has access to the server

Everyone now has access to the current revision of the documents and forms. Documents cannot be changed because they are password protected and no one other than you and two others can copy or add new documents to the server file.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
We are totally customizing SharePoint (well, that is the royal we....I tell them what they need to provide, IT does the work:lol:)

But, there are a few threads out there, you might want to try a search, yellow Search function in the menu bar, and peruse some of the info there also. good luck!

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
I've heard great things about Sharepoint, but you may also want to take a look at wikis. They make your document control almost automatic and your whole QMS come alive.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
You can use the software you already have by placing read only version of procedures in a folder on your server. Have IT protect the folder with limited write/re-write access to yourself and two others.

Next build a table of contents in word in the same folder on the drive and hyperlink each document to the table of contents. Because the folder is protected you can place a short cut to the table of contents onto each computer within the company that has access to the server

Everyone now has access to the current revision of the documents and forms. Documents cannot be changed because they are password protected and no one other than you and two others can copy or add new documents to the server file.

I think this is the easiest solution. In my opinion, the document databases add a lot of hassle, and little actual value. A simple read-only file is easy.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,
I've never heard of Sharepoint, but I would recommend looking at QualTrax it's a great tool for document control and it allows you to sit up workflows, testing etc.

Also can anyone give me some insight to Sharepoint working in a QMS.

Thanks,

Al40

Last edited:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
I've never heard of Sharepoint, but I would recommend looking at QualTrax it's a great tool for document control and it allows you to sit up workflows, testing etc.

Also can anyone give me some insight to Sharepoint working in a QMS.

Thanks,

Al40

What if any connection do you have to this product? (enquiring minds want to know.:))

V

Voodoo Queen

Hey all, just found this forum site. Glad I'm not alone in this chaos of trying to be AS9100 compliant.

We are two weeks away from our annual audit, this will be my first. I have been tasked to get us update to do with our 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 sections of the AS9100:2008. A few months ago we did a preliminary audit with a 3rd party and failed on our document control aspects. Although I'm revising our documents on those sections, we have the bigger problem of what's a good software solution to handle document control and management.

Has anyone used Microsoft Sharepoint? Is there any major obstacles in regards to the AS9100? Did you have to do any customization? Pros and Cons?

Thanks

We began using SharePoint recently as more of a collaboration aide - I don't know that I would rely on using it for Doc Ctrl, but we're new to that software and I don't know all of its functionality.

We use Documentum by emc for our Document Control. It is a decent database - allows for workflows, collaboration btwn those who will be approving the document, easy revving, etc. The docs are added to the system as Word docs, but are converted to PDFs (if you purchase that part of the software) and are given the appropriate "status stamp" (ie: "In Process", "Active", or "History") - everyone can view and they're all protected with no need for a password (other than system access). Our department has one individual that manages the doc ctrl process for our group and is the only individual in our dept. with the proper security level to add and change the status - this just so happens to be me. Let me know if you'd like more info on this software.

With all that said, I see that you only have a few weeks before your internal audit so the hyperlinking suggestion might be the best option for a quick fix as installation and validation of this software would probably take a few months.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
What if any connection do you have to this product? (enquiring minds want to know.:))

None, other than this is what I currently use as my QMS document control software. It has helped me with external audits, user friendly and our internal training i.e. setting testing on documents and it is easy to use.

The reason I'm asking about sharepoint is our new startup is looking into using this and I'm trying to stay with something that has work well in our other company.

Thanks,

Al40

Top Bottom