SBS - The best value in QMS software

Document Control Software

Hi,
I've been looking into document control software, and found a few that I like the look of, but I think I'll get pushback with costs.
We currently have another database that we use for booking in samples and tracking testing in progress etc. ~I'm looking at maybe using this database for our document control database, but then we'd still have to do the document approvals externally to the database (I think). Although you can set up workflows for approvals, so potentially could set something up. I was thinking maybe using docusign for approvals, so we can do it electronically. - Currently its on paper, which we're hoping to move away from.
(I'm a bit of a luddite with technology, so really working hard to get my head around these things!)
Does this sort of database seem an acceptable way of document control. Or are there some selling points of using the made-for-purpose document control software that I could use to really sell it?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
As long as you can manage per the requirements, how you do it is up to you. The benefits of a software system are that they generally enforce your processes and often make access easier. (Of course, the downside to tools is often initial setup efforts / costs and possibly some periodic maintenance.)

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
I built our doc control software. We chose to have the doc on paper, and publish it via scanned pdf. We kept the paper (one copy) in the QM's office for times the server went down.
If you are working with Filemaker Pro, there are developers in your area that you can work with...this allows multiple sites and countries to access, and gives the ability to limit access as you choose.
Access may be able to do the same as well, not sure.
Look around the forum here and see others who chose Wiki, sharepoint, etc.

The ability to customize to your companies needs, preferences and quirks was a huge draw for us...that we already owned FMP and could program it ourselves made out of pocket costs low which sealed the deal.

I don't work for any of the companies above...and unfortunately built our doc control dbase on the clock...I don't own it and cannot share it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L OpenDocMan Document Control Software Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R A simple electronic (software) document control question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M How to Choose the Best Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B Work Instruction Application (Software for Document Control) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
V Electronic Document Control Software suggestions wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Choosing Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
D How to Control Software Program based Forms - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A ISO 13485, Document Control and Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Document Control Software Pricing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Document Control of ERP Report Format from Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Document Control Software Program with Revision Tracking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Casana Control ES vs. Compliant Pro Document Control Software - Recommendations please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Part 11 Compliant Document Control Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 30
B Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
N MasterControl Document Control Software Screen Shots wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Looking for Electronic Document Control Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
M Microsoft Sharepoint as Document Control Software - FDA Validation Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
J Document Control Software - Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
S Validation of VCS software for document control? Small medical start-up Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Control of Obsolete Documents - Changing document control software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Software for ISO Document Control - Recommendations Wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Document Control Software recommendations for Part 11 medical device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Information or Recommendations for Document Control Software? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Part-11 Compliant Document Control & Integrated Training Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Document Control Software - ROI - Need Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Document Control Software Suggestions - Anyone using MIPSIS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D FREE software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Document control of software? Software packages that produce documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Document Control where a document is part of a software package Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Looking for Document Control software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Recommendations for Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
U Document Management, Version Control & Document Storage Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
H Which Wiki Software is ISO9001 Compliant (Document Control) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Best Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Software for Document Control - Recommendations Please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P Info needed on Software for document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control Software - Seeking Experiences and Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
A Seeking: Document Control/Training Software Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A What Electronic Document Control Software are you using? 'Canned' or In-House? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Document Issue & Control in ISO9000-3 - Medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Document Control Software - Small engineering firm - Reviews or Recommendations? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D "Document Control Software 2.0" program from The Harrington Group? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Y Which ISO 9001:2000 Document Control System software? Your opinions / experience? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7