Document Control where a document is part of a software package

D

debbie135

Hello
I could do with some pointers here
If a document is part of a software package and is used in mail merge letters would it need to be controlled as per the requirements of 4.2.3 c i.e
would it need to have its revision number and who authorized it for use marked on it ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Gert Sorensen

That would be dependant on the document generated, I guess. If, for example, it was letters to customers or employees, then I do not see the need, but if it was documents for the QMS-handbook, then it would need to be. You evaluate the importance and the need for which documents are controlled.

D

debbie135

well it is both of those things really !
It is a letter sent out to a customer which is referred to in a Procedure

How do I stand on that ?

thank you

G

Gert Sorensen

well it is both of those things really !
It is a letter sent out to a customer which is referred to in a Procedure

How do I stand on that ?

thank you
One of three choices:
1. You print a copy of the master document and approve and control it.
2. You specify the content in your QMS, and state that that is all you need in this case.
3. You choose not to control, because it does not need to be controlled

Eg. a letter to customer acknowledging receipt of a complaint. This could be chosen to be either of the three, it is your choice. (I would probably go with no. 2) :bigwave:

A

Al Dyer

Hello Debbie,

What procedure? What is the document for? Does it need to be part of a mail merge?

Al...

D

debbie135

thank you for your quick response and apologies for my lack of understanding but if I choose option 2 as the preferred option how would I describe this in the procedure which refers to the letter -a caveat such as "this document not considered to require control"

I am just not quite sure what you mean by this but thank you for your help

G

Gert Sorensen

thank you for your quick response and apologies for my lack of understanding but if I choose option 2 as the preferred option how would I describe this in the procedure which refers to the letter -a caveat such as "this document not considered to require control"

I am just not quite sure what you mean by this but thank you for your help
What I would state in my QMS - using the same example as above - would be something like:
The customer shall receive in writing within xx days a letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint. The letter shall contain the following information:
What has been complained about
Who is handling the complaint
Complaint no.
etc.
etc.

That would - in this case be sufficient. Other cases may require another approach.
:bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
if you are mail merging your customer/address list into letters, isn't your customer list a database? that would make it an electronic record of your customers, and you should have backups etc. of electronic data. Or am I way off base here?

S

somerqc

I handle a lot of software controlled documents with the following, which our auditor was fine with

1. Name of document when printed
2. Screen(s) where document can be viewed and/or printed from
3. Statement - "cannot be changed or modified due to software - no further control required"

#3 was tricky as I had to prove to him that it could not be changed. Once I proved it he was fine with it.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Jumping in here again. Debbie had sent an e-mail to me asking to further clarify my earlier post...first, I am notoriously bad at checking my personal e-mail (sorry) second, this could be a question others have, so I will answer in the thread.

I stated that the information being merged (customer info) could probably be considered a record and not need "document" control, but to be controlled as a record. i.e. we have a customer database. It is a record, which is a specialized type of document. Control is done through the computer system (changes id'd by time, person, unique record number, and backed up per our procedure) We routinely merge the information into things like invoices, shipping notices, mass mailings of upcoming price changes etc. All of those documents are/can be records by themselves. We do not have/keep the same type of revision history on computer records that we keep for, say, a work instruction. We have an actual revision history with a paragraph stating what revisions are made in a written document, but the computer program logs the (rev) information by time stamp and person making the change. Plus we have backups.

I hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
J GMP CFR 21 Part 210 or 211 - Where does GMP address Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Document Control - Applying Suitable Identification to Obsolete Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Document Control Question involving DocuSign US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Document Control ISO and FDA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
dpenbert AS9100 7.5.3 - Manual Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Help in document control procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Training on the importance of Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 51
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46