Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

"Document Controlling" Queries run to obtain information reported to customer

L

lrl116

Does anyone document control queries? My company would like to set some controls on queries that are run to obtain information that is reported to the customer.

Any comments?

D

D.Scott

Re: "Document Controlling" Queries

Rose, you can control anything you think needs controlling. I am not sure what you mean by queries but your decision to control them should be based on your need for control. If it is a form you complete, would it matter if a facsimile of the form were used? Do all the blanks have to be filled in? Is the control needed for the form itself or for the form after it has been completed (data)? The type of control you use is again up to you. If, for example, you had a query that was later transferred to a computer, do you need to keep or control the original?

My preference is to not control every little thing in the company. Look at it and decide if it really needs to be controlled. If it does, decide to what extent and how you will do it.

Dave

L

lrl116

Some clarification - The queries are reports generated from an application similiar to MS Access. They are saved on a shared drive for all managers to access. They run the data and report the numbers to the customer. We are trying to control managers changing the reports and using an incorrect query and reporting the wrong numbers to the customer.

lrl116 said:
Some clarification - The queries are reports generated from an application similiar to MS Access. They are saved on a shared drive for all managers to access. They run the data and report the numbers to the customer. We are trying to control managers changing the reports and using an incorrect query and reporting the wrong numbers to the customer.
It appears to me you may have a slightly different concept of "control" than we normally use in discussing Quality issues.

My working definition of Control means controlling who may
  • create
  • approve
  • edit or modify
  • delete
  • read
  • copy
  • use the data contained to conduct an activity (process)
of a particular document.

Dave is on the right track when he writes
The type of control you use is again up to you. If, for example, you had a query that was later transferred to a computer, do you need to keep or control the original?

My preference is to not control every little thing in the company. Look at it and decide if it really needs to be controlled. If it does, decide to what extent and how you will do it.
Obviously (to me), if you are
. . . trying to control managers changing the reports and using an incorrect query and reporting the wrong numbers to the customer.
you have a problem which needs to be addressed. You do not need to control DOCUMENTS, you need to control MANAGERS! The basic problem is that your managers do not understand that ANY document used in a process to direct the activity of folks has to be consistent with the intent of the organization, not some manager's whim. In that regard, the basic problem is the understanding of the managers. One of the tools of "mistake proofing" you might use is a software lock which prevents modification or deletion of ANY document without multiple approvals to eliminate a "rogue" manager changing the document in defiance of corporate will.

O

ontheopenroad

Do you need to control the query itself, or do you need to control the process for generating, reviewing, and releasing the data/reports to the customer?

I am familiar with a similar situation. I use MS Access to generate reports/deliverables regarding workload for our customer (the government--ugh). LOL

I can write my own queries to pull the information, but there is a process where my results are reviewed and approved by the Program Director before the information is released to the govt. We have a procedure documenting the process, and the process generates records to show the review and approval for final release.

L

lrl116

I need to control the actual query. The reports and numbers generated from these reports are reviewed and that process seems ok.

I like the idea of a software lock and I am going to further research that idea.

Joe Cruse

Mopar or No Car
Depending on what you're using, you can "protect" the query and make it read-only. If using MS Access, make a datasheet form with your query as the recordsource, and then make the form read-only. There are other options within Access as well.

S

silly girl

lrl116 said:
Does anyone document control queries? My company would like to set some controls on queries that are run to obtain information that is reported to the customer.

Any comments?
Hmmm interesting idea. We have report definitions that show exactly what data sources / fields / queries / criteria / formatting / manipulations, etc. are used for that report. We don't actually control these in our QMS, though we certainly could. The managers in my org are trained to get critical reports (such as you describe) from specific analysts, and that is the way we make sure the data is consistently drawn from the same report defintion. You might be able to do the same thing simply by creating a repository of report definitions and training everyone to use them...

Silly Girl

Top Bottom