Document/Drawing Control

A

AnnaMarie

I am just at the beginning of getting a document/drawing control system in place in our department. The dept. contains about 40 users and we are all on a network.

I'm looking for some pointers on how to go about tying all the information together. Presently, there are drawings, word docs., manuals, spreadsheets, - every type of document imaginable, but all tied to each individual who created it in the first place. We also have paper based files which would probably need to be scanned in.

So. Does the Document Controller have every single document in his/her possession? Can only the document controller release a document for revision? Can all of this be done by using your basic network and Office/Drawing packages? or is it advisable to actually implement Document Management Software package?

I forsee a big problem with Emails, as Outlook doesn't interface with any other microsoft product. There is a lot of hassle when it comes to saving emails into a file folder.

I really could do with some basic ground work help. ISO is not an issue with us at the moment. What I want is Version controlling and a central file vault in order to view all files pertaining to a specific project. But there has to be some sort of editing control in place aswell.

Thanks.
AnnaMarie

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

AnnaMarie,
Have you read all the posts on this page, like "Online Documentation" Topic Starter Alicia and "Electronic Documentation Systems" Topic Starter Marc Smith, and others? That's a good place to start. When I read your post, it sounded familiar to some other posts I've read. Just a thought to help you narrow the search.
Energy

A

AnnaMarie

Thanks Energy. Yes, I've spent the day here going through all the different categories etc. and where they are all quite helpful, I feel that these others have already got some sort of system in place, if not in practice, it is definitely in their heads. To be honest, I'm even more anxious about it now after reading all the info. 'cos I didn't think there would be as much involved. Thanks for your reply again.
AnnaMarie.

Suggestion, prepare a flow chart of the process, a big one on roll paper. You will be surprized what you can see when everything is plotted out on paper.
Write your questions at each activity, then come back rview it and answer the questions.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
AnnaMarie,

We are in the process of setting up something similar. We are creating "master" files with Adobe. When a document is created or revised, it is placed in the "master" file as a "read only" document. Then anyone on the network can access the documents without changing the document. The issuing department has the responsibilty to update the master file when a document is revised.

Good Luck!
Carol X.

A

AnnaMarie

Thanks Sam & CarolX. Feeling a bit more optimistic this morning. Good idea about the Acrobat Master Files. I'll see how that will fit in here. Do you have an electronic signature in place CarolX or do you sign on hard copies only?

C

CarolX at home

AnnaMarie,

We do not use electronic signatures. I have a master sign off sheet for all procedures. Another option would be to scan your sign off sheet and add it to your master file. I did this with our Quality Manual, and now I can e-mail a signed copy of our Quality Manual to our customers.

Regards,
CarolX (working at home today)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
J Print (Drawing) Document Revision History Identification Indicators Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5