Document Hierarchy Importance?

Hi there,
I recently switched industries as a QA Systems Admin.
I was liable for ISO 9001:2015 in a laboratory setting and I am trying to spread my wings in the manufacturing industry.

I am currently having trouble in my new QA department with Document Hierarchy.

It seems the current Quality team does not employ such documentation. They were certified for both IATF16949 and AS9100D recently so I am assuming it is not a requirement.

I come from bigger companies and I am struggling to grasp the concept of the documentation here as well as grasp manufacturing a product vs a service (acronyms have become the bane of my existence).

I have been here only a few months; unfortunately I am the youngest and I'm not trying to make waves but my questions are being taken as assaults on their Quality System (no matter how I word/bow/play the stupid card). The more people I encounter that came from outside companies are just as lost as I am; I want to help and I want to improve the communication barrier between QA and everyone else here (how else am I ever going to get my CARs closed? :frust:)

With that being said - is there any solid reads that I can get that would be a good "Manufacturing QA for Dummies?"

Please advise.
Thank you ahead of time.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Put the "Document Hierarchy" aside for a moment. Have you mapped out the documentation structure in the company, and their interactions?

If you are trying to adhere to the old Document Pyramid, you can (if you feel you have a need to) assign each document a place after you have the existing system mapped.

If you have questions specific to closing out corrective action request(s) we'll need a bit more specific information.

:2cents:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Hi there,
I recently switched industries as a QA Systems Admin.
I was liable for ISO 9001:2015 in a laboratory setting and I am trying to spread my wings in the manufacturing industry.

I am currently having trouble in my new QA department with Document Hierarchy.

It seems the current Quality team does not employ such documentation. They were certified for both IATF16949 and AS9100D recently so I am assuming it is not a requirement.

I come from bigger companies and I am struggling to grasp the concept of the documentation here as well as grasp manufacturing a product vs a service (acronyms have become the bane of my existence).

I have been here only a few months; unfortunately I am the youngest and I'm not trying to make waves but my questions are being taken as assaults on their Quality System (no matter how I word/bow/play the stupid card). The more people I encounter that came from outside companies are just as lost as I am; I want to help and I want to improve the communication barrier between QA and everyone else here (how else am I ever going to get my CARs closed? :frust:)

With that being said - is there any solid reads that I can get that would be a good "Manufacturing QA for Dummies?"

Please advise.
Thank you ahead of time.
It sounds to me like you viewed as coming in to make a bunch of changes. Worse, it sounds like you are looking for documents which manufacturers generally hate. If they are recently certified, you can assume they at least have the basics down. What don't they have that you are looking for?

"If you are trying to adhere to the old Document Pyramid, you can (if you feel you have a need to) assign each document a place after you have the existing system mapped."
-- They have a process interaction diagram for production documentation only (which the numbering is very confusing but the diagram is there).
-- Supporting or what I am used to as "Policies" or overarching documents for "This is how we number our documents" "this is our document template" "this is our responsibility matrix" "this is risk management" "this is how we validate" "This is IQOQPQ" are not found here and I have no idea what to reference when I am I trying to review documentation (I am learning PPAP and APQP).

"It sounds to me like you viewed as coming in to make a bunch of changes. Worse, it sounds like you are looking for documents which manufacturers generally hate. If they are recently certified, you can assume they at least have the basics down. What don't they have that you are looking for?"
I am not trying to make changes; I don't make enough or have the title to. They have to have whatever they need because they are certified; this much I know.
As for "documents which manufacturers generally hate" -- lets be honest -- everyone hates documentation except QA; so I am not sure what those documents could be.

I am looking for possible manufacturing documentation sites to help me muddle through the difference between science and manufacturing.

I sit for my CQA exam next month -- maybe I will find out then if I am actually cut out to be an Auditor. If I would audit this system I would be lost (which is inevitable as an internal auditor).
The reason I need outside sources is because they are "too busy to train" me.
Maybe this is just a bad situation for me.

But thank you for trying to help.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Well it sounds like you're asking for documents they don't have or that the deem are not needed. Remember they are manufacturers, not scientists. They will probably be more "fly by the seat of their pants" than a scientist.

To have a written numbering scheme, document template, or other overarching documents are probably not high on their list of priorities. If your doing audits, I would start with your standards for training -- figure out what actually needs to be (not should be) documented and go from there. Don't get caught in what you used to do, and look at what they do. It's probably not rocket science, so you should be able to walk yourself thru most of it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Document Numbering and Hierarchy Requirements for ISO 13485 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Document Hierarchy Structure for Documents Compliant in ISO 9001 and CMMI Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0