Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I'm looking at a current document control system (manual) and the higher level documents (SOPs) all require approval, but as I go into the lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. I see that do they don't have approvals for those individual documents. Is this normal?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CCaantley

Involved In Discussions
I was told by the company that helped us update to 9001:2015 that anything that gives instructions needs to be a controlled document... signature and date at least.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Note that "Controlled" and "Approved" are different things.
How are you 'lower level' documents "controlled" ?

Everyone can make it however they want...isn't "controlled"... Having only one source to get it, and controlling that source (even without a singoff) may be control.

That said, the vast majority I've seen show an approval signature...

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
I would suggest that you do what's right with respect to the business (risk tolerance). What I mean by that is to evaluate risk/opportunity with document reviewers and signers. I.E. is the document a plan vs. a record. The plan/protocol should probably be reviewed/signed by more individuals (consider R&D, Cognizant Review, Quality, Regulatory, etc.) than the subsequent record of the protocol being run.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
Note that "Controlled" and "Approved" are different things.
How are you 'lower level' documents "controlled" ?

Everyone can make it however they want...isn't "controlled"... Having only one source to get it, and controlling that source (even without a singoff) may be control.

That said, the vast majority I've seen show an approval signature...
___
All of our documents are controlled. Still working with some former professional auditor friends to figure this one out.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know what standard you are addressing, but according to ISO 9001:2015

9001:2015 said:
7.5.1 General
The organization’s quality management system shall include:
a) documented information required by this International Standard;
b) documented information determined by the organization as being necessary for the effectiveness
of the quality management system.

7.5.2 Creating and updating
When creating and updating documented information, the organization shall ensure appropriate:
a) identification and description (e.g. a title, date, author, or reference number);
b) format (e.g. language, software version, graphics) and media (e.g. paper, electronic);
c) review and approval for suitability and adequacy
So you determined that the WIs & forms are necessary otherwise why have them? They need to be approved.

skb76

Involved In Discussions
hi!

Just give opinion

even it is low level document/form
(for first time when the form/document been created ~ approved/sign ~ group them to Master List)
~ Until the format of the forms been 'modify/revise'

(#based on my experience, WI cant actually consider as low-level document, the Auditor will look into it (moreover with the 7.1.6clause)

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I was just passing on what I was told. If it is wrong, I have a lot of work to do to fix everything.
No, you don't need to FIX everything. But a document with a signature and a date doesn't necessarily make it controlled. Your company probably has more to its document control process than just those two items. Before trying to fix a process, best to determine if it is indeed broken.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Confused about Document Levels and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Skipping Document Revision Levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
W Controlled Documents - Trying to differentiate document control levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Classifying Documents for Different Document Levels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Definition Document Levels - Definition of what Level 1, 2, 3 documents are Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0