Document Numbering (Identification) System

kdburkh0214

Starting to get Involved
I'm in the process of restructuring our document numbering system. Right now we have QCWF-1.1.1.1-01 (Name of Document). I think it's silly I want to change procedures to P001 and so on, Forms to F001 and so on, Work Instructions to WI001 and so on. We have a lot of other documents that don't really fall into any of those categories. More of reference documents. I don't want to call them R001 because I think people would assume they are records. Any suggestions?

qualprod

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm in the process of restructuring our document numbering system. Right now we have QCWF-1.1.1.1-01 (Name of Document). I think it's silly I want to change procedures to P001 and so on, Forms to F001 and so on, Work Instructions to WI001 and so on. We have a lot of other documents that don't really fall into any of those categories. More of reference documents. I don't want to call them R001 because I think people would assume they are records. Any suggestions?
I always have used this method and works well.
Eg.
Pro-qms-001, for-hr-001, sd-qms-001,pur-wi-001,
Pro=procedure, for= format for records, sd=special documents (policy, objectives, context,etc ), wi=work instructions, pur-001, , qms is acronym of quality management system process, pur= purchase process,hr =human resource process, and so on, the last , 001 is the consecutive.
Hope this helps

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Also see the Similar Threads list below, and check the "document identification and numbering" thread tag above for more "food for thought". There are many ways to identify documents.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
FWIW, you don't have to have a numbering system at all...though I always found it useful (if it is made to be useful)...

We had groups of Docs with subsections:
MP = Manufacturing Procedure (How to make stuff)
MM = Machine Method (How to use the equipment)
TM = Test method
AD = Administrative

My section of the company used MP12-XXX, MM3-XXX and TM8-XXX...docs were always easy to find, I just had to remember those three and scroll through.

If you are publishing electronically, with a search function...searchable titles are even more useful.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Trusted
We have Procedures, Instructions, and Documents. A couple examples of titles from our Procedures server folder are "P-30 Contract Review" and "P-50 Document Control". We don't have to do it that way but it has worked out well with what this shop already had from the owner's prior business.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
When I was an apprentice (many decades ago) and was working on some documentation with the quality dept, they had set categories for documents i.e. procedures=PR, work instructions=WI, specifications=SP, manuals=MA etc followed by a three digit number (I suppose they didn't expect to have more than 999 of any one type of document), and I asked "what do you do if your type of document doesn't fall into one of these categories" and that answer was "the catch all is, Information Sheet=IS" which turned out to be any piece of paper with information on it that didn't fit anywhere else. :)

Last edited:

kdburkh0214

Starting to get Involved
When I was an apprentice (many decades ago) and was working on some documentation with the quality dept, they had set categories for documents i.e. procedures=PR, work instructions=WI, specifications=SP, manuals=MA etc followed by a three digit number (I suppose they didn't expect to have more than 999 of any one type of document), and I asked "what do you do if your type of document doesn't fall into one of these categories" and that answer was "the catch all is, Information Sheet=IS" which turned out to be any piece of paper with information on it that didn't fit anywhere else. :)
Well let me ask another (probably dumb) question; Do I have to have a statement on the footer of controlled document? e.g. "Printed Documents are uncontrolled. The user is responsible for verifying the current revision."

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
You need "control"...how you get it is pretty wide open...
We chose to publish electronically, and only the electronic one was "authoritative".

When we needed a printed copy (for writing data on a form, etc) we had a sig block to initial that it was compared to the controlled doc to verify correct rev...that's just one way to handle it...

Top Bottom