Document Numbering System For ISO/Quality Management Document vs. All Other Documents

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
HELLO GUYS

I need to create a numbering system for my company's documents.
should I have one system for the ISO/QUALITY MANAGEMENT/QUALITY MANUAL documents and for all other documents? such as inspection/testing/mechanical drawing etc...

Can someone help or explain how to do it??

THANK YOU!!
Alon

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: Document Numbering System For ISO/Quality Management Document vs. All Other Docum

HELLO GUYS

should I have one system for the ISO/QUALITY MANAGEMENT/QUALITY MANUAL documents and for all other documents? such as inspection/testing/mechanical drawing etc...

THANK YOU!!
Alon

It is all upto you. Think about a system that would work for your company.

Larger company would need a more complex system.

Do you need a number system?

One easy system would be:

P = procedure
F = form
M = manual
number = sequential numbe

So your document control procedure would be:

P001 - Document Control

Forms for inspection starting with:

F001 - Final Inspection, F002 - Raw material Inspection, F003 .....

If they are department specific, you could introduce more complexity.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Document Numbering System For ISO/Quality Management Document vs. All Other Docum

A document numbering system is not required. I agree with Kales; do what makes most sense for your company and its document user community.

But if you wish, here is an example of a system that I devised many years ago and has its origin in the DOS days.
Eight characters, remember?:D

First letter indicates where the document belongs. C for Charlotte (where I live)
For a multi-site organization I use the letter X
The next three letters are a code for the process that the document supports:
  • MGT = Management
  • SAL = Sales
  • CAL = Calibration
  • COR = Corrective Action
  • PRE = Preventive Action
  • MAN = Manufacturing
  • WEL = Welding
  • HUM = Human Resources
  • Etc.
The next letter indicates the type of document:
  • M = Manual
  • P = Procedure
  • W = Work instruction
  • F = Form
  • C = Control plan
  • D = Drawing
  • R = Record
  • Etc.
The next three digits indicate the document number. Starting with 001.

For example:

CSALP001 is the Charlotte facility sales procedure number 001.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

HELLO GUYS

THANK YOU!!
Alon

Alon, we have an interesting thread on the same subject - Unique Document Identification Numbering System

Randy

Super Moderator

Numbering system?

Keep it as simple as possible or don't do it at all, for example start with Doc #1 and then some kind of a revision reference

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Numbering system?

Keep it as simple as possible or don't do it at all, for example start with Doc #1 and then some kind of a revision reference

I agree Randy, but you and I have seen auditees struggle to find documents and records. So whatever method (even a numbering system) is available to help folks find the documents and records that pertain to their process is OK.

I have also seen that folks can make a bigger mess on their computers than in a filing cabinet.. :D

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions

What is wrong with just having a title? If you know what the document is for then put it in the title then it is identified. Might be missing something here but putting a number in just smacks of something a quality bod does for their own ends not for the benefit of those using the documents. Of course if your system is so complex it has so many documents you can't define individual documents with a title then perhaps... Alternatively, why is your system so complex? Is it helping or hindering your business?

Seems to be a matter of taste. One system makes sense and suits one person doesn't mean it works for all. We all think differently after all.

Randy

Super Moderator

What is wrong with just having a title?

It doesn't matter a Tinkers dam (got to be able to show revision status though)
(I have a couple clients that do just that and they have no problem) But it's so simple most "professionals" go "Duh"

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions

Isn't the numbering system a document id not a revision history in its own right? Well the examples given. The revision history might be better served as a table at the bottom of the document, the table getting bigger with each revision. Could incorporate originator and counter-signature too if needed.

Randy

Super Moderator

Isn't the numbering system a document id not a revision history in its own right? Well the examples given. The revision history might be better served as a table at the bottom of the document, the table getting bigger with each revision. Could incorporate originator and counter-signature too if needed.

See, now you're getting confused and nowhere in any ISO standard is "confusion" a shall

In a management system standard like 9K or 14K all you have to do is make sure that folks can tell the difference between documents and that current revision status be identified....Not one word about history, or numbers, or anything else. All the other fluff and garbage winds up contributing to the self inflicted wounds organizations cry and sling snot about when the audit goes "tsk-tsk-tsk, naughty-naughty".

Lack of effective document control is probably the #1 nonconformity identified across the globe, followed by Records, and not meeting one's own procedures. And most of the doc control problems are a result of...Guess what? Yep, all the self required need for numbers and stuff not lining up with practice.

"TSK-TSK-TSK, NAUGHTY-NAUGHTY":uhoh:

Top Bottom