SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Document release vs its related training. Which should come first?

Azhar Anwar

Starting to get Involved
We have updated several SOPs in our QMS and performed related trainings after the documents have been finally released.
However, recently during an internal audit, We got a comment from the auditor that the training should be preceding the document release.
Meaning that the training should happen prior to the effective date of the controlled documents.

I am not 100% convinced. Can anyone comment on this issue please?
I have not found any previous posts related to this topic yet.
Many thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Interesting....I don't know or use ISO 13485 but I typically release documents then train to them. Otherwise, I'm training to an unreleased document.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know or use ISO 13485 but I typically release documents then train to them. Otherwise, I'm training to an unreleased document.
All of that applies to me as well (including the "I don't know ISO 13485" part)

We released first, then trained.
In reality, we released first then DOCUMENTED training.
...folks were already aware that the change was coming, and already knew what the upcoming doc was going to say before it was released. We did not write docs and procedures in a closed room...we got input and reality checks before signoffs.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
There is confusion here. We need to distinguish between documents and the processes they represent. The map is not the territory. If the document changes but the process doesn't, there's probably no need for training. On the other hand, it the process changes, the nature of the change(s) should govern when training takes place. I've always held to the idea that the changed process should be operated until it's confirmed (validated) that the change is viable and doesn't have unintended consequences. This is a accomplished by having a "beta" version of the process requirements, with full approval happening when the process change(s) have been confirmed.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Full disclosure - I am not familiar with your standard.

That said, does the standard state that training shall be conducted before document release? If there is no requirement for it, I'd question the value and validity of the finding.

Timing may not always allow for doc release before training...and, in my own experience, sometimes questions come out of the training that make us realize we need to add some things to the document to make it more fullsome.

My personal take is that unless there is a documented requirement that explicitly states the order your organization uses, I'd categorize this finding as baseless and move on.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Agreed, Ninja, it isn't a surprise when a new doc is released.

However, I have worked with a team creating a new revision, agreed on it, and then when it came signature time, someone said "I've changed my mind, let's completely change this section....". Had I trained to the doc before formal approval, I would have wasted my time and caused confusion.

contigo123

Starting to get Involved
We take the view that training must be complete before using a new revision, and thus we usually do training after release but before the first time someone uses the new procedure. This helps in case someone is on vacation (or, more recently, out for covid related reasons) since they can train when they return. But we are a small company so it's easy for us to manage this, not sure if this works well for larger companies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Document Change Notice (DCN) vs. Document Release Notice (DRN) - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Document Release Notice - Retain Paper Copy vs. Digital Scan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S New TS Manual Release - Train our people with the errata or the complete new document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H Document retention period Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Document Notes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M ISO 13485 and document control for programs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Ed Panek MR Mandate Document EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Document Index Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Document Issued with incorrect Document number code Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Requirement for Signature on Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Document Control Metrics Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Document Review and Document Approval --- 2 Signatures needed acc. §820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J UDI - Where to document it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
T Controlling Expandable Forms in Paper-Based Document Control System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Changing revision status of a reviewed document Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
shimonv Document Control Procedure Header Content Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Document ownerships Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
E Document Change Request forms (or no forms)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Document Approval Matrix Benchmarking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Document Approval Signature Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Can a document (form) approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2