Document Revision Service? Auditor wants a service for document revision/renewal

H

hokieman

Our auditor stated that we should be connected with a service for document revision/renewal. A service that advises us of document which are obsoleted and revised. Can anyone recommend one or several that are reliable. I conducted a search but had no luck. I may have looked in the wrong place!:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Document Revision Service?

hokieman said:
Our auditor stated that we should be connected with a service for document revision/renewal. A service that advises us of document which are obsoleted and revised. Can anyone recommend one or several that are reliable. I conducted a search but had no luck. I may have looked in the wrong place!:thanks:

What kind of documents are you referring to?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

When your auditor said that you "should be", was this a nonconformance or a recommendation for improvement?

If a recommendation, it's up to you if you want to pursue this route. For some organizations, the costs and resources involved do not make this a value-added activity.

If this was a nonconformance, I'm curious as to the wording of the finding. ISO 9001 does not require that you use such a service for document control. Heck you could call a paper clip your "service". :)

H

hokieman

Thanks! I will check them out! It was a pre-assessment audit. He did not write us but he was intrigued as to how we knew our standards were always the latest revision. He recommended hooking up with one of these services so we could always say, "it's their job to let us know when the document is revised", I guess.:notme:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

hokieman said:
Thanks! I will check them out! It was a pre-assessment audit. He did not write us but he was intrigued as to how we knew our standards were always the latest revision. He recommended hooking up with one of these services so we could always say, "it's their job to let us know when the document is revised", I guess.:notme:
Just for the heck of it - how many different Standards are we talking about?

First of all
"it's their job to let us know when the document is revised", I guess.
is NEVER a legitimate excuse. Your organization is the only entity responsible for seeing your documents are up to date. Using this as an excuse is like getting olive drab cadmium plating when you order electroless nickel with teflon and saying to your customer "it's their job to let us know whether the plating was what we promised you" - my guess is the response from the customer might be "Well, see them for your pay!"

About the only time I could see hiring a service or assigning an employee full time to track such changes is if you have thousands of orders each year which read "must comply with version of
Standard # _______________
in force as of the date of this order."

H

hokieman

Wes! My friend you take me way to seriously. I said that simply to make the point you mentioned. It is our job to make sure the appropriate standards & spec's are adhered to. That would simply be the only reason I could think of that would make his request appropriate! That is really all one could say if the service were relied on to heavily and failed!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
Q Change revision number in document when only codification was changed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
I Document Control - Document Revision History Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M Is a New Revision Required for Minor Document Changes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
C Document Revision for each new Preventative Maintenance Checklist? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Document Control Procedure - Revision Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
G Document issued with incorrect Revision Number Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
G Document Revisions - How do I track the Form Revision History/Approvals? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Change and Revision Status Identification for a Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO13485 - Document Revision Tracking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Documents sent to Suppliers - Document Revision Level Identification question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control Revision - Starting Over Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Document Revision Numbering and Related Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Z Revision Number vs. Issue Number - Document Control in ISO 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
G Revision Control - Per document vs Universal control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Skipping Document Revision Levels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
F Document Control and Document Revision Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
W Redundant Documents - A version of the document that was in pre-revision status Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Document Format vs Content Revision - Form changed from MS Word to MS Excel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Document Control Software Program with Revision Tracking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Document Revision Control - Use alphabets or date? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
P Revision History in an MS Word document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 37
P Please comment on revision status of document on a per page basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 25
R Document and Quality Manual Revision Control requirements - Alpha or Numeric Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Is revision level required in the document / form? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
V What Constitutes a Document Change? Company Logo Revision Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
D Document Control Management System (MyDMS) & Revision Time Frames Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Print (Drawing) Document Revision History Identification Indicators Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Document Control - Document Version or Document Revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
L Document Version or Document Revision? Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
kisxena Issued travelers that have out-dated revision - 21 CFR 820.40 - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L New Document Number for Every Revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
D Document Revision Numbers and Control of Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
D Documenting Revision History - Single ?Revision Record? Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Document Revision Identification Requirements - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3(c) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Document Version vs. Revision - Semantics? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
T Document Control Revision History in Manually Created BOM's (Bill of Materials) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Missing a Revision in a Document's Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1