Document Revisions - Renumbering All Our Documents

M

Mark Smith

Document Revisions

HELP!
I need some advice. I am in the process of changing the document numbering system for all current documentation in use at my company (approx. 500 documents). The basic change involves changing from a semi-significant numbering scheme (where a number of document numbers are reserved for certain product types) to a non-significant scheme where documents are assigned numbers sequentially and new documents are simply assigned the next sequentially available number. My question involves the status of the documents that have the old numbering system. When I change for example a Purchasing document that currently is assigned a document number "PC-9876 rev D" to the new format, let's say it will be assigned a new document No. of "130". Do I have to Obsolete "PC-9876" rev D and re-introduce the same document as document # 130 rev A, or can I just change the number and up rev the document to rev. E

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Just for kicks and giggles....what is the value you gain from the change?

its your system...so its your call..just be sure you are consistent..which is easier? which will be easier to track back?

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 28 April 2000).]

D

David Mullins

Yes, PC-9876 rev D is obsolete, and the new doc, # 130 rev A, will replace it.
The new doc should make reference to the changes from the previous issue, that is - should reference the obsolete number that corresponded to this document. That way the history of guidance is still traceable.

------------------

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Informational Health Canada – Notice: Revisions to the Guidance Document: Management of Applications for Medical Device Licences Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Document Management System - Revisions & Out of Date Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
L Preparation for ISO 9001:2015 - Required Document Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
J Question about training on document revisions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
U Document Revisions Required in DMR Index? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
S How to document revisions after Periodic Review of documents ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A How to handle the various Document Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Document Revisions - How do I track the Form Revision History/Approvals? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Changes (Revisions) and associated Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Document Control (with Revisions Control) Management Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Document Revisions when a different company takes control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Document Control Checklist for use after Document Revisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N ISO 9001:2000 version to ISO 9001:2008 - Necessary Document Revisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Document Revisions BEFORE Certification Audit General Auditing Discussions 10
A Training on Document Revisions - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Re-Issue of Documents - Requirement to re-issue a document after so many revisions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7