Document vs. Record - What's the Difference under TS 16949?

D

dbzman

Under 4.2.3 Control of documents - records are said to be a special type of document.
I'm in the habit of keeping two control listings. One for records and one for document (intructions, SOPs, etc).
Under this definition if a document has data entered on it then it becomes a record.
Would it be better to just have one listing or is there another way to control records? Am I making this too complicated?

:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Ken K

The way we separate the two is if we update or change a document it would require a revision change because it's controlled.

But, we also use various files and logs which are updated as part of normal operations without necessitating a revision change.

Both are considered part of our quality system.

Record vs document

if we update or change a document it would require a revision change because it's controlled.
Very good Ken! And if we change a record it is called an update, but the revision level doesn't change. Or does it? If I update a record, then the last entry could be considered the rev level, although it would not show on the master list, which gets back to your statement.

A

Al Dyer

As my mind is, this may sound too simplistic:

If you change the info on a procedure, instruction, or form, there is a need for a revision.

A record is just that, a record. Do we revise records? I would not think so, revising records could lead to what has been going on recently in many corporations, If we don't like the results let's change the records.

If there is a record that is disfavorable it needs to be acted upon with some type of preventive or corrective action.

Just a thought!

ASD... :)

Under 4.2.3 Control of documents - records are said to be a special type of document.
I'm in the habit of keeping two control listings. One for records and one for document (intructions, SOPs, etc).
Under this definition if a document has data entered on it then it becomes a record.
Would it be better to just have one listing or is there another way to control records? Am I making this too complicated?

Document is the form in a blank state then it changes to a record when it is filled in.
the document would prob be stored on the hard drive on pc then when it is turned into a record prob filed away. Hope this helps.

D

dbzman

Hello everyone!

I am coming in on this discussion a little late but it looks like the question is “what is the difference between a document and a record”.
I look at this in a slightly bent way.

The way that I look at records vs. documents is this:

1. If I wanted to see how a job/activity was performed I would look at a record.
2. If I want to look at how a job/activity is to be performed I would look at a document.

Once data is placed on a document it becomes a record.

You would revise a document but not a record. You may update the information on a record (with signatures and dates) but not the revision.

Maybe I just oversimplify but that is my take on the difference.

:read:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Whatever works best for you. Although, under the general principle of less is better, if you can comfortably do it on 1 log, so much the better. I have seen some companies do that by adding some columns for Retention Times and Storage and Disposal requirements to the right hand side of the log.

The main thing is control the stuff so the information is accurate, and it is available if some needs to read it. If you achieve that aim, you have met the ISO intent pretty well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What is the difference between record and document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
D The difference between a Document and a Record? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
X The Difference between a Document and a Record Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Proper Record/Document Manipulation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Information Gathering Documents and Document/Record Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Do Emails count as a Document/Record Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J The best way to address this Document and Record Control scenario! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Stamping Original Paper Document 'Record Copy' in Red Ink - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C PPAP Submission - Point in Time Record or Live Document APQP and PPAP 4
K Form 42-2 for Document Initiation and Change Record - Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Do Memos have to be under Version (Document or Record) Control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
B Document and Record Matrix - A controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
R Definition Document vs. Record in ISO 9001 Procedure - Differences between and Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
GStough Approved Supplier List (ASL): Document or Record? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 29
M Document Disposition - Is a Control Plan a Record or Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Responsibilities for Record and Document Management, Development and Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Examples of DCR (Document Change Record) Log and Document Controlled Log Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Is software code a document or record or neither of the two? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
M Medical and Administration department Document and Record Retention policy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Document / Record Archive Vendors (Suppliers) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Document and Record Control - One Procedure or Two? TS 16949 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Is a PFMEA (Process FMEA) a record or document? FMEA and Control Plans 10
D Documenting Revision History - Single ?Revision Record? Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L LOGS - Record or Document? How to control logs? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
R DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Document or Record? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Document and record retention periods for the different OEM's Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M Is a Quality Plan a document or record? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Is Key Performance Measure/Indicator a document or a record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
M Blank Form vs. Completed Form - A document or record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
I The Document List and Record List contain...? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
D Supplier Surveys - A controlled document? I say it's a Record Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 19
V Document vs. Report vs. Record - What are the differences? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
R Typical Document / Record Transaction and Archive Volumes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2