Staff member
Admin
I thought this was interesting:

Subject: Re: Q: Intranet & Document Control/Kohn/Andrews/Robinson
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:52:58 -0600

Subject: RE: Q: Intranet & Document Control/Kohn/Andrews/Robinson

Ethan Andrews recently responded:

> One could certainly have outdated documents at point of use, provided
> objective evidence showed that systems were in place (and were effective)
> to preclude their use (as in revision level check prior to use). It is not
> recommended that one has out-of-date documents lying around; however,
> merely their existence would not automatically provide a nonconformity. One
> would need to look at how their unintended use was controlled.
>

Another situation that my company, located in Canada, faces everyday is that of legacy programs. Let me explain:

In the aerospace business we are often called upon to build products in the same manner as we did 5 or 10 years ago. This may be due to the airline, usually in a 3rd world country or some other remote area, not being equipped to handle the latest all-electronic gagetry in use today. Their planes are 10 or 15 years old and have old technology componentry. We must build them the products they can use and maintain.

When this happens, we establish a program plan which calls up the processes and procedures that will be used. In this document we place a copy of those procedures (retrieved from archives in an Appendix of the plan), and they are controlled through our configuration management process. This 'old-but-new' documentation is now valid for use _on that program only_ and does not interfere with the current documentation required for today's work.

This system has met the challenge of two registration audits, and three maintenance audits since we received our ISO 9001 registration in 1994. This same system is used at other facilities of our company located in the U.S. and audited by a different registrar.

Ralph E. Robinson
http://www.myna.com/~r2innovn/main.htm
Email address: [email protected]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Query about ISO 9001 Certification Documentation for a Service company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N ISO 9000:2000 in a service company- Documentation - Do we have to explain exclusions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Basic UDI and technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K ITAR Visitor Documentation of Citizenship AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
A Process Documentation for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing 2
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F ISO 17025:2017 mandatory documentation requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
CPhelan Labeling template on QMS - Kitting and labeling documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L ISO 9001:2015 standard documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Documentation - Use of Addendum vs Amendment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T QMS - Documentation Cloud Storage EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Updates on Documentation for outsourced OEM from ISO 13485:2003 to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N EU MDR Basic UDI-DI and Technical Documentation for Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 20
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
D Documentation requirements for the new Medical Device Regulations (2019) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Ashok sunder ISO 45001:2018 Documentation template Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Is Software code documentation required for FDA premarket submissions? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I MDD Class I software technical documentation sample EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Annex II - Technical Documentation. V&V, Performance and Safety EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Mojonnier Model 1000 Documentation - Validation of my tank IQ-OQ-PQ US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D Strategies for reducing software documentation burden IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
K Out–of–control versioning - Struggles with documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9