Documentation Criteria For Spot Buys of "one time" thing or short-term (3 months)

KIDDO

Involved In Discussions
Good day all;

I am the document controller for our qms. We provide automotive parts to our customers (Tier 2/3). All of the work instructions for automotive are in a comuter software database, which I maintain. It notifies everyone at point of use about new/revised procedures, tool lists, inspections, etc.

Every now an then, a customer makes a request for spot buy parts. The manager's feel that because these buys are a "one time" thing or short-term (3 months), then I don't have to control work instructions, inspection sheets, tool lists, etc. as I do with the other automotive documentation.

I've argued that if we have a temp come in to work for us, they will need to follow the same processes as the rest of us (safety, quality etc.) so why do temp jobs not follow the controlled document process?:mad:

Any ideas?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Documentation Criteria For Spot Buys

Good day all;

I am the document controller for our qms. We provide automotive parts to our customers (Tier 2/3). All of the work instructions for automotive are in a comuter software database, which I maintain. It notifies everyone at point of use about new/revised procedures, tool lists, inspections, etc.

Every now an then, a customer makes a request for spot buy parts. The manager's feel that because these buys are a "one time" thing or short-term (3 months), then I don't have to control work instructions, inspection sheets, tool lists, etc. as I do with the other automotive documentation.

I've argued that if we have a temp come in to work for us, they will need to follow the same processes as the rest of us (safety, quality etc.) so why do temp jobs not follow the controlled document process?:mad:

Any ideas?

Are you ISO/TS 16949:2002 certified?

W

w_grunfeld

I don't understand the question. Do you make parts per order? If so, and you can be positive that these parts will never end up mixed up with the other parts you make for the automotive customers, and if these spot customers do not require meeting all TS16949 requirements. than yes, you may relax some of the documentation control requirements. So many if's and you still need the latest work instructions, inspections sheets....so I don't see how is it worth the hassle....
So basically you are right, allowing deviations from the standard proceses will probably not save much anyway but will increase chances of making mistakes when it is really important.
A very wise man once told me: you should never cross a red light even in the middle of the night when you are sure there is no traffic and no one around to see you, because if you do, eventually one day you won't stop at a red light even though you intended to.

Randy

Super Moderator
A document is a document is a document, and regardless of whatever, if it is a required document everything applies. The documents you described are being used to help achieve customer satisfaction.

KIDDO

Involved In Discussions
Re: Documentation Criteria For Spot Buys

We are currently ISO 9001:2000 certified going for our TS certification this summer.

KIDDO

Involved In Discussions
A document is a document is a document, and regardless of whatever, if it is a required document everything applies. The documents you described are being used to help achieve customer satisfaction.

I totally agree but how do I convince management to buy into this?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
I believe your documents are running text style (correct me if wrong)
One way to overcome is to have good flow chart style and map this "one time or short term process".
In this way you will not miss out on it, and it will create a visible logical route. Some thoughts and mind application could get you one nice Flow chart. If I were you, I would give it a shot ......... Wish you well.

Randy

Super Moderator

Tell them that Randy might issue a non-conformance if they didn't control the documents, probably under 4.2.3 or maybe 7.5.1 somewhere.

Unless of course your management can show that those sales of "your stuff" are outside the scope of your system.

Any takers?

Top Bottom