Documentation for items used for Design Verification

Chef100

Starting to get Involved
Hi all
I have been challenged in my company regarding the documentation needed for prototypes used for Design verification testing. What documentation is needed? Do you need full traceability to materials, process etc? Do you need to show that items are produced with the same raw materials specs as the approved output specs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
This is a very broad question. You ought to have a Design Control procedure that identified the deliverables for each phase in the product life cycle.
In a nutshell, design verification and validation are done on initial production units. So, you have to have a certain level of documentation; not necessarily final but sufficient to demonstrate (with traceability) that you verified the design of the product which you intend to put in the market.

Shimon

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
design verification and validation are done on initial production units.
Can't say that I completely agree with that statement (which is a bit shocking since I don't think I've ever disagreed with an @shimonv post!). Nothing in the standard about design verification mentions what must be used and in design validation, "representative product" must be used.

I will agree that you want to have sufficient documentation for what you did use. You need to be able to justify why the results are applicable to production units. As an example, we do a lot of electro-mechanical design work. Verifying software requirements often has to be done in a debug environment. We have the software under design controls so unless there are changes, we can justify applicability. Similarly, some electrical requirements may require testing hooked up to scopes but we have a complete board BOM to demonstrate why it's relevant. We sometimes package everything in prototype shells ("skins") - may be the same material as production but maybe 3D printed or machined rather than molded. We can justify using those in design validation (even though not production) because we can assert equivalence.

I will agree with @shimonv that it's a broad question and so what you use for verification and/or validation needs to be carefully considered and part of your plan. Be prepared to support your conclusions that V&V results are representative of the final product.

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Can't say that I completely agree with that statement (which is a bit shocking since I don't think I've ever disagreed with an @shimonv post!). Nothing in the standard about design verification mentions what must be used and in design validation, "representative product" must be used.
Hi Yodon,
Thank you for the compliment! And I humbly admit that you are correct; the regulation does not dictate what must be used for design verification, but for design validation a "representative product" a.k.a "initial production unit" must be used.

The opening statement of Chef100 was:
"I have been challenged in my company regarding the documentation needed for prototypes used for Design verification testing."

I think we can agree about the intentions of such questions, and this kicked me into defensive mode. In my response I shifted from verification to verification and validation, which is kind of what you did in the end of your post: "Be prepared to support your conclusions that V&V results are representative of the final product." :)

It's a great forum!

Cheers!
Shimon

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree with what has been said but just want to add clarification. The design verification stage is where change control must be implemented. Regardless of how you document the specific design used for verification, you need to be able to show that every change you make after design verification does not affect the results of verification testing. (Or if previous testing is affected, you repeat the test.) To be able to document those changes adequately, you need to have documented what the design or process was in the first place. This is a roundabout way of saying what Yodon said before.

In my opinion, it is best practice to have a simple history record that is used for recording relevant prototype information.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Appearance items - Seeking Standard, specification or documentation Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Documentation hold during submissions? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
K SOUP (Software of Unknown Provenance) Anomaly Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C Gobys for operations documentation plan Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Basic UDI and technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K ITAR Visitor Documentation of Citizenship AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
A Process Documentation for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing 2
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F ISO 17025:2017 mandatory documentation requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
CPhelan Labeling template on QMS - Kitting and labeling documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L ISO 9001:2015 standard documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Documentation - Use of Addendum vs Amendment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T QMS - Documentation Cloud Storage EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Updates on Documentation for outsourced OEM from ISO 13485:2003 to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N EU MDR Basic UDI-DI and Technical Documentation for Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 22
B Quality Management System documentation identification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
D Documentation requirements for the new Medical Device Regulations (2019) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Ashok sunder ISO 45001:2018 Documentation template Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R DMR or Manufacturing Documentation - How detailed does the documentation have to be? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Is Software code documentation required for FDA premarket submissions? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I MDD Class I software technical documentation sample EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Annex II - Technical Documentation. V&V, Performance and Safety EU Medical Device Regulations 3