Documented Problem-Solving for Automotive

W

WillSchader

Is anybody aware of a requirement that the problem-solving method of a supplier be documented? I'm hearing from my registrar that the IAOB requires it but the IAOB website says nothing.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I can't recall seeing a specific requirement that the problem-solving method be documented, but recall that there's a general expectation that important processes should be documented, where the availability of a documented process/procedure would prevent nonconformities.

Problem solving has always been a major priority in the auto industry, so it would make sense to have a formally documented approach. In the absence of a company preference, using the Ford 8D would be a good choice. (Other formal approaches like 5 why, Kepner Tregoe, Shainin methods, etc., are all good too but 8D is readily accessible to all.) And, by the way, at the recent AIAG Quality "Summit", the OE's expressed their concern that problem solving skills are slipping, not improving.

So, my recommendation would be to document the method... perhaps just by using an 8D based form.

Brad

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
I totally agree with emphasis and need of the effectiveness of the system; and further believe that the categorization & trending of own-inhouse data would provide more actionable target areas. (repeat causes, repeat areas of failures, and in a way ineffective/insufficient CAPA!)

I can't recall seeing a specific requirement that the problem-solving method be documented, but recall that there's a general expectation that important processes should be documented, where the availability of a documented process/procedure would prevent nonconformities.

one quick query though is ....whether following description amounts to have a procedure for same. {...defined process...formats...=> procedure/document; }
8.5.2.1 Problem solving The organization shall have a defined process for problem solving leading to root cause identification and
elimination.
If a customer-prescribed problem-solving format exists, the organization shall use the prescribed format.

Top Bottom