Documenting Meetings through Meeting Minutes or a Form

DRAMMAN

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am not sure which forum this needs to be in. My question is around the need to document a meeting through meeting minutes or a form. My new employer went crazy a year ago making special forms to document every discussion whenever a procedure states there needs to be a conversation, meeting, discussion, etc. It is a documentation nightmare.

Is it required to document that a meeting or discussion took place through meeting minutes whenever a procedure states that 2 or more people must discuss something?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not sure which forum this needs to be in. My question is around the need to document a meeting through meeting minutes or a form. My new employer went crazy a year ago making special forms to document every discussion whenever a procedure states there needs to be a conversation, meeting, discussion, etc. It is a documentation nightmare.

Is it required to document that a meeting or discussion took place through meeting minutes whenever a procedure states that 2 or more people must discuss something?
DRAMMAN,

I agree, having a form for each type of meeting sounds like overkill. But minutes of meeting can be clunky when it comes to extracting the data or information needed from the meeting.

Was this change part of corrective action or the result of someone's whim?

Be guided by how the record is used after the meeting. You may find that a generic form is all you need to capture the essential data and information. Or you may find that is better to mark-up the documents being reviewed.

Process owners should ask the users of their management system what they need. Listen to the process owners instead of imposing unnecessary bureaucracy on them.

John

DRAMMAN

John, agree with you 100%.

I am not sure how this started. Mostly a bit of internal politics. Would it be a an audit non-conformance if a procedure states a discussion or meeting shold occurr but there are no meeting minutes to prove it occurred. Some were going down the path of "if it is not documented then it did not happen type BS?" I have never really seen this come up in audits. Unless of course a procedure states there must be meeting minutes. I would think an organization should be permitted to determine if formal meeting minutes are needed based on the situation.

dsheaffe

Involved In Discussions
I agree with John. Let the process owners decide if minutes are warranted because I know that we have lots of meetings that are basically 'informational'. Generally I doubt that you need meeting minutes for every meeting/conversation/discussion.

As far as the format/content of the minutes. My opinion is that you don't need to have every item minuted as far as who said what to whom. Our approach (and feel free to ignore / disagree) is that there is always an Agenda (even if it is an email saying that we need to have a meeting to discuss A, B, C) - then the minutes are a just list of agreed action items (including responsibilities and dates) as a result of the items discussed from the Agenda.

For a lot of our recurring meetings, we use Excel to record the Agenda/Minutes so we have a complete history of all items discussed in the meeting. Participants add new rows for items that they want discussed in the meeting - and during/after the meeting the spreadsheet is updated to either mark the item as completed (if there were no actions required) or add details to the item about the agreed actions so that these are followed until the action is completed.

A final point - we do have exceptions to the above where we do generate quite formal minutes - but these are only cases where it is warranted (eg, contractual discussions with clients) - so it is "horses for courses" when it comes to what it needed

kgott

DRAMMAN;551354[COLOR=black said:
My new employer went crazy a year ago making special forms to document every discussion whenever a procedure states there needs to be a conversation, meeting, discussion, etc. It is a documentation nightmare. [/COLOR]

This situation is a classic case of tradition and custom being the shackles on improvement.

Even an email that summaries what the meeting was about, what was discussed and any decision made is a meeting record, if there needs to be one.

I now use emails for my internal audit reports. After sending them I PDF them and file em. Case closed.

I

isoalchemist

John, agree with you 100%.

if a procedure states a discussion or meeting shold occurr but there are no meeting minutes to prove it occurred. Some were going down the path of "if it is not documented then it did not happen type BS?".
Although should is a wiggle word, if a procedure says a meeting is needed, IMHO you need something to show it did occur. With that said not everything requires the procedure to say a meeting should occur, and there are alternative documents to minutes.

If it is important enough to hold a meeting about and decisions are made it should be documented.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
B Documenting hardware on Form 2 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
bryan willemot Documenting past problem history for fasteners for AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q Documenting Customer Complaints (Records) Customer Complaints 6
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J ISO 13485:2016 Section 6.2 - Documenting the process for establishing competence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Does IEC 62304 require documenting unresolved anomalies for all safety classes? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
R Documenting Self-Training and Effectiveness - ISO 13485:2016 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
C Documenting Software Safety Classifications IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
B Approaches to Documenting an ISO 22000 FSMA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
G Process for Product Safety - Ideas for Documenting Process for 4.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
dubrizo Are you documenting Internal Audit findings as NCRs? Internal Auditing 18
M What is the value of documenting in-process rework for easily-detectable issues? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R What is the typical industry standard for documenting Usability Risk? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 16
C Importance of Documenting NCP's and CA/PA's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Colin Objectives Form - Format for Documenting Information Security Objectives IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
O Documenting Processes requiring Customer Notification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Documenting Vendor (Supplier) Issues Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
V Documenting Exceptions and use of Deviation Request Form APQP and PPAP 2
K AS9100 Clause 7.2.2 - Documenting "Special Requirements" and risks AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
K Competence, Training and Awareness - Documenting Training and Confidentiality Aspects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Documenting the Review of Adverse Effects from Rework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Formal Way for Documenting Design Input Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Documenting 5S Guidelines in the Sales Department (Office 5S) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
C Training Planning - Using Summary Sheet for Documenting Training Activities Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Requirements for Documenting Lifetime of a Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Best Practice for Documenting Design Reviews 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
F Documenting Historical Preventive Action at a Daycare Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 20
N Documenting Medical Device Complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Documenting Quality Inspections - Material Released prior to Lot Acceptance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
V Documenting the Root Causes for Internal Audit Non-Conformance Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Approach towards defining/documenting Requirements COTS vs. New-Product Software Quality Assurance 1
Crusader New Documenting Methods for Manufacturing Process Audits? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
M Documenting an outsourced process - Distribution company with some manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Process Map vs. User Guide - Documenting business procedures Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
T Documenting Effectiveness of Corrective/Preventive Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
M Customer Format - Documenting Customer Software Requirement Specification and DDD Software Quality Assurance 10
D Documenting Machine Shop In-Process Checks Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
Crusader Continuous Improvements - How are you documenting them? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 66
R Documenting Processes such as Receiving Inspection, and Auditing to Turtle Diagrams Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
Gert Sorensen Requirement for specified agendas and meeting minutes when documenting projects? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Submit a 510(k) to an existing device vs. Just Documenting a Change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Documenting Revision History - Single ?Revision Record? Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4