Documents of External Origin - Approaching & Satisfying this Requirement?

A

Andy Bassett

How exactly are you approaching/satisfying this criteria?

I cannot think of a benefit coming out of this. It certainly is going to be very difficult to justify putting stickers on catalogues etc, and as far as customer drawings go, normally they already contain their company name, and what if they dont? Normally an operator only needs to know where the part fits in the assembly, they do not need to know the origin of the drawing.

Can anybody add anything to this.

Regards

------------------
Andy B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

Our Auditor dinged us for not controlling "publically obtained" reference books - defining most everything in any book .."external origon" information Machinst manuals - material purchasing cataloges - text books ... training booklets etc..

We made up a master list of what was here for use - (even suggested I "control" a copy of Jurans Quality Handbook unless I specifically stated it was used for reference information only....

I could never "justify" the value added aspect of the exercise

Regards
Jim

A

AJPaton

My latest attempt at controlling external documents involves linking up to our company's Intranet, where we have electronic versions of several standards, and more coming. In our industry we've got electronic versions of UL standards, with procedures coming, EUSERC, utility specs, and the NEC is in developments.

I am also looking into linking up our documentation with external websites. For example, until we get the electronic NEC we could go to the NFPA website and reference their catalog for the latest version available.

We've had the electronic versions of outside documents for a couple of years, and haven't gotten dinged. But we haven't even addressed the issue of catalogs from distributors, (we don't have design activities at this facility).

AJP

D

David Mullins

My experience of controlling external documents has been a good one. The main thing is drawing a line in the sand.
Our doc control procedure described how external documents would be controlled, and the master list grew to about 4 pages. (I've included Australian references in here - sorry) It included things like, ISO 9001, Australian Standards on topics like handling customer complaints, noise measurement, safety and performance testing, etc., Approved codes of practice for safety issues, accountancy codes of practice, Legislation (Acts and Regulations) on various aspects that applied to our business.

One particularly interesting group of documents were those that applied to the people supplying the product of the organisation. Each employee used several reference manuals to do their job, the problem was that these were issued by the educating institution when they first did their training, consequently there were lots of different versions. By listing all the holders of each of the documents, and determining the latest edition, and gaining agreement from the educational institution to provide us with update material, we were able to provide all staff with the latest external reference manuals, and then train them to keep them up to date.

This might seem like a lot of work, but we are talking about paramedics. Would you like to be a patient and the paramedics argue over clinical practice as they each learnt from a different book, meanwhile you clutch your chest struggling to breath??????

It was worthwhile it for us, and our customers!!!

------------------

T

Tom Goetzinger

I think that is the heart of the matter; what is important to the successful production of your product or service. In the case of the paramedics, makes lots of sense. In the case of most manufacturing companies, the controlling of external catalogs and reference books seems a bit extreme, unless of course, you refer to them in your procedures.

A

akshaykm

I have faced a problem of getting wrong/obsolete model ordered by my purchasing staff. The error occured due to the fact that I asked the model no as seen from manufacturer's catalogue, while our library maintained at Purchase dept.(external catalogue)contained the obsolete version. The review process could not detect this anomaly, since description column contains similarity in features.
I feel it is a good idea to segregate what external documents are to be maintained (not controlled)by whom & use as it will be beneficial.

Ak

D

David Mullins

Tom hit the nail on the head.

If you refer to an external document in your procedures, then it should be a controlled external document.

akshaykm. If you maintain an external document, aren't you in effect attempting to control it? In which case you should be controlling it in a compliant manner.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I would suggest if you reach a level where you are controlling catalogues, you have gone way, way too far.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Jim Biz:
...even suggested I "control" a copy of Jurans Quality Handbook unless I specifically stated it was used for reference information only....
If your auditor wanted you to control your copy of Juran, I would call him/her an 'idiot auditor'. That's just plain silly.

J

James Gutherson

I would suggest that there are cases where it is important to control catlogues.
In our case, we are the regualtory body for Commercial Boats operating in New South Wales (Australia). Our surveyors investigate the equipment of vessels and make decisions about their suitability to operate commercially. They (each) have many, sometimes upto 100, cataloques of the various items that many be aboard a vessel. One example would be the assessement of the propeller shaft size. The surveyor will record the engine model in the vessel and then from the catalogue they hold determine the power produced. Thi power will then determine the size of shaft required.

For our case it is vital that the catalogues the surveyors use are not only the latest version, but also the appropriate version, and this is an important part of our document control. (Similarly for Standards and Act, Codes, etc)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Do we need to treat local law as external origin documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
D What is difference between Statutory and Regulatory with Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B I wish to know about Concept of Supporting Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
somashekar Can Documents of External Origin be a Quality Plan? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L ISO 9001:2008 - Control of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Q Suppliers info into my Documents Control (Documents of External Origin)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Labelling External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
M Documents of External Origin - Periodic or annual verification of revision status ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
N How to Control Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K How to Control and 'Monitor' External Documents (Documents of External Origin)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
P Documents of external origin not identified? ISO9001 Clause ISO 9001:2000 5.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
S Documents of external origin? Manufacturer's operating manual of that machine Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Customer Furnished Drawings Retained? Control of Documents of External Origin Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Method to Ensure Latest Customer Specifications (Documents of External Origin) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
V Identification & Control - Documents of External Origin - ISO13485:2003 Clause 4.2.3f Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B System for Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
F What do suppliers define as Documents of external origin? TS16949 Para 4.2.3 f) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S ASTM specs - Control and Update of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
C Ensuring Documents of External Origin are Identified and Distribution Controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Control of documents of External Origin - Specifications from our customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R TS 16949 - Clause 4.2.3 - Identification and Control of Documents of External Origin IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D List of what documents should be considered 'Documents of External Origin'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Identifying and Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A PO Requirement - Documents of external origin are identified and controlled General Auditing Discussions 2
F Documents of External Origin - Identification, Control and Distribution - 4.2.3 f) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A ISO 9001:2000 - Documents Requiring Control - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 27
K Documents of External Origin II - Three types of Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Control of Documents of External Origin - Reference manuals and standards Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Marc Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Use of External Documents in Product Realization Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
P Customer Forms as external documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
drgnrider Control of External Audit Notes and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
JodiB ISO/IEC 17025 - Which External Documents require control? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Other Company's Documentation - Registered as External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S External Documents in the I.T. (Information Technology) Field ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G How to comply with 4.4.5 Contol of Documents - Documents of External Origion Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
N Control of External Documents - Best Practices for Control of External Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Sam Lazzara Citing Revision Dates for External Documents including Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
A Control of Documents (External Drawings) and Marking Up Prints Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5