Documents of External Origin - Identification, Control and Distribution - 4.2.3 f)

• Thread starter florin pirvulescu
  • Start date
F

florin pirvulescu

4.2.3 f) ask to ensure that documents of external origin are identified and their distribution controled.
What kind of external documents is about?
Thanks

Florin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Florin,

Most often they are customer documents such as drawings, specifications, purchase orders, contracts, etc. Also included might be regulatory or ISO standards, etc.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The way my organization has defined an External Document is any piece of documentation that has a direct impact on one's ability to perform one's job.

Yes, our ISO 9000 Compedenium Edition ??? is controlled and is maintained on our list of External Documents. The document on how to maintain/use the software that controls our documentation is not on this list as the exact same information is contained in the software's help files (and is thus controlled through the vendor). Our copies of the ASTM requirements are External Documents and are controlled. We even identify our Registration Certificate as a controlled External Document.

The ongoing battle is whether or not the equipment manuals need to be controlled. At my last place of employment, all manufacturer's manuals were controlled. At this place, they are not and so far, no external auditor has commented on them...not sure if it's because they have bigger fish to fry or if they don't consider it to be an issue or they just haven't gotten around to it yet. ;)

M

M Greenaway

The concept of 'control' of documents is primarily to ensure that people have access to the latest version. A manufacturers manual is normally provided with a piece of equipment, and is never updated - hence 'control' in this instance to my mind is not required.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Actually "M", you'd be surprised at how frequently our manufacturer's manuals are updated. It's not uncommon for us to receive updated inserts - sometimes due to the fact that we upgraded the equipment and sometimes due to the fact that a new "aspect" of the equipment has been discovered (e.g., machine can allows so many tonnes to pass through before fatigue become apparent, etc.).

M

M Greenaway

Then possibly you need to control.

like every question posted in this forum regarding what you should do for ISO9001, ask what you need to do for yourself.

F

florin pirvulescu

M Greenaway said:

like every question posted in this forum regarding what you should do for ISO9001, ask what you need to do for yourself.
Because it's a virtual scool and a mind challenging maybe this forum should be recomended to all the external auditors, and presented to all lead auditor courses.
Unfortunately for me it would be enough to ask myself what I need to do for my self. What about the auditor. The way I see a solution it's not allways the same with the auditor. Years in the position of auditor make some of them acting as inspector-professor. That's why they probably hardly accept other solution then their own.
Every strange question I have been asked pushed me in the internet looking for confirmation and support on my way of thinking.
I know you will advice me to change the registration body. But the top management knows that is cheaper to complete a couple of papers to give satisfaction to a person then to change the certification body. So the spirit of ISO is killed. Poor ISO!
Florin

M

M Greenaway

Florin - exactly right.

Maybe we need to go back to school and re-learn the principles of quality assurance, rather than what ISO9001 is supposedly telling us to do.

Risk analysis or FMEA would be a good place to start !

F

florin pirvulescu

M Greenaway said:

Risk analysis or FMEA would be a good place to start !
:eek: I'm amaised! Are you 24 h/d in the forum?
Did you wright few books on quality matters, or it's a confusion in my mind? Scuse me if so.
What is actualy FMEA?

Failure Mode Effect Analysis

potential Failure Mode and Effect Analysis.

Basically, you list potential problems, the risk for occurence, severity if it occurs, and the chance of detection, rate the findings and start taking action. It's a great tool. Have a look at the FMEA forum.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Do we need to treat local law as external origin documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C ISO 9001:2008 4.2.3(f) - Controlling Documents of External Origin Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
D What is difference between Statutory and Regulatory with Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Control of Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B I wish to know about Concept of Supporting Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
somashekar Can Documents of External Origin be a Quality Plan? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L ISO 9001:2008 - Control of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Defining and Controlling External Documents (Documents of External Origin) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Q Suppliers info into my Documents Control (Documents of External Origin)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Labelling External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
M Documents of External Origin - Periodic or annual verification of revision status ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
N How to Control Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K How to Control and 'Monitor' External Documents (Documents of External Origin)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Controlling Revisions of External Documents - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
P Documents of external origin not identified? ISO9001 Clause ISO 9001:2000 5.4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
S Documents of external origin? Manufacturer's operating manual of that machine Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Customer Furnished Drawings Retained? Control of Documents of External Origin Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
C Controlling External Customer Documents (Documents of External Origin) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Method to Ensure Latest Customer Specifications (Documents of External Origin) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
V Identification & Control - Documents of External Origin - ISO13485:2003 Clause 4.2.3f Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B System for Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
F What do suppliers define as Documents of external origin? TS16949 Para 4.2.3 f) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
S ASTM specs - Control and Update of Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
C Ensuring Documents of External Origin are Identified and Distribution Controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Control of documents of External Origin - Specifications from our customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R TS 16949 - Clause 4.2.3 - Identification and Control of Documents of External Origin IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D List of what documents should be considered 'Documents of External Origin'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Identifying and Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A PO Requirement - Documents of external origin are identified and controlled General Auditing Discussions 2
A ISO 9001:2000 - Documents Requiring Control - Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 27
K Documents of External Origin II - Three types of Documents of External Origin ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Control of Documents of External Origin - Reference manuals and standards Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Marc Controlling Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Documents of External Origin - Approaching & Satisfying this Requirement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Use of External Documents in Product Realization Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of External Documents such as customer manuals AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
P Customer Forms as external documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
drgnrider Control of External Audit Notes and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
JodiB ISO/IEC 17025 - Which External Documents require control? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Other Company's Documentation - Registered as External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S External Documents in the I.T. (Information Technology) Field ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G How to comply with 4.4.5 Contol of Documents - Documents of External Origion Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
N Control of External Documents - Best Practices for Control of External Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Sam Lazzara Citing Revision Dates for External Documents including Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
A Control of Documents (External Drawings) and Marking Up Prints Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5