Documents uncontrolled when printed, if is not printed is controlled?

Q

QAMTY

Hi all

It came across the debate of uncontrolled documents.

This is the case:

Into my business , having the documents in the intranet, is OK by accessing documents in the network, we ensure they have the latest revision.

On the footer is stamped "Uncontrolled documents when printed" if is printed, is uncontrolled thats ok.

But suppose this document, electronically is sent to a supplier and this is not printed, is viewed in a computer, so if it is not printed, that ensures is controlled? even if is outside of my company?

I think a way to manage this, is that both my company and supplier have a strong control of the documents (transmittals, list of documents released,etc.)

What is your viewpoint?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
One of our customers seems to have recently implemented a solution to this, at least in terms of the prints they send us to build their products. They have added an unremovable header to their prints' .pdfs which asserts "Document controlled only on 'XYZ inc.' intranet restricted drive per 'SOP-123'". If you are in a situation where others need controlled docs. of yours to build for or do other business with you, this seems like a caveat you may wish to include as well!

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
I often wonder about the value of the phrase " uncontrolled when printed." we all know that it’s uncontrolled, why state it, you can’t control what you can’t control. This is a carry over from the days when putting a "Controlled Document" stamp on a document somehow, mysteriously, made it controlled.

I use the phrase 'printed documents may be out of date, check version status before use." Just because a hard copy document cannot always be controlled does not mean that it’s out of date.

In my view, controlling documents is more about knowing where a document is located, and knowing if the document is the most recent version, and controlling the editing and authorisation of the document, is what document control is all about. I don’t see that stamps about control or non-control add much value at all.

Nothing is perfect. I can pick up a document that is identified as rev x, how am I to know if this is the most recent version? For all I know there may be a rev y. Rev y may have just been issued 2 minutes ago.

Having electronic document management where staff open a document from a central location and save it with the required file name, in the required place is about the best one can hope for and as Pancho has shown us, a wiki is about the best there is for that, but even a wiki is not perfect when a documented is printed.

The best one can do with printed documents is to teach staff not to rely on the version status on the document but to check the version status against an electronic version before use.

By teaching people to do this means we don’t need to use phrases and stamps. Most organisations (including my own employer sadly) usually fail their own document control requirements by failing to adequately control documents of external origin.

Patricia Ravanello has posted very helpful support material on this.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Kjott

Good comment, but this works into a company in the internal network

But when sending these documents to a suppliers and some of them are of temporary use.
That footer may not appply in suppliers because they are not going to print it.

In the case of sending frequently documents to several suppliers how can I have control on them? or in practice, if an auditor sees the documents, how he/she ensure they are up to date?

One important point is: somehow or other, I have to say the supplier that the such documents are valid, will be enough just to say "'something in the footer"

Don´t you think that maybe a solution will be to state it in a document (a contract?)
saying" Supplier must check the latest revision of all the documents prior to use them"

Thanks for your help

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
A couple of things to consider.

When a document leaves your organisation you can no longer exercise any further control over it, even in relation to plagiarism, unless you include a reference to your supplier’s treatment and care of your organisation’s documentation, in the contract with the supplier, or perhaps through the purchase order, and you regularly audit these requirements for compliance.

If the document is critical to your organisation and or, your client, send the document with a transmittal which lists the documents being sent, and contains a request to the supplier to sign, date and return the transmittal as acknowledgement of receipt of the document.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Printed Documents are considered Uncontrolled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
T Living Documents which change every day - Control or Uncontrolled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Reasons for Issuing Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
V Can we show Photocopied Uncontrolled Copies of Documents to an FDA Auditor? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 15
T Obsolete Uncontrolled Electronic Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Referenced Documents vs. Uncontrolled Documents - Differences? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 32
H Difference between Controlled & Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
C Control of Documents - When?? Uncontrolled forms identified days before the audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
J Controlling 'Uncontrolled' Documents sent to us by Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Q To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Mandatory documents vs shall "something" but without mandatory documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
M Advertising medical devices in the U.S - Advertising regulations or guidance documents Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H New 510K VS Documents about design change. Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational EU – Manufacturer incident report (MIR) for serious incident- template 2020 (Directives and new regulations) version 7.2 and related documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Some documents related to Call for expression of interest for expert panels on medical devices and in vitro diagnostic medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Approvals on QMS Documents - ISO 13485 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Mandatory Documents for EU authorized Representative under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Hello IAF. Are you listening? Please explain the inconsistency in your IAF Mandatory Documents (2019) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Do we need to treat local law as external origin documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
I Sales Documents in scope for ISO-9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
shimonv Informational New guidance documents about EUDAMED - April 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L Digitalization of documents - FDA and ISO 13485 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Correction fluid found on documents that are reviewed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
M Informational IMDRF – Proposed update to Clinical Evaluation documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L OpEx (Operational Excellence) Documents in QMS? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Documents for Manufacturing Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
N IATF 16949 - Mandatory Corporate Documents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0