DOE (Design of Experiments) with 3 factors with levels of 3,3 and 5

M

mayor

I have a DOE layout with 3 factors with levels of 3,3 and 5. I am using Minitab 15(I am new to Minitab) to analyze the results. I cannot get Minitab to display a pareto chart or normal distribution chart. I have followed the Minitab instructions but but can not get it work properly. I think it might have something to do with the the factor levels not being the same. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: DOE with various levels

I don't have access to Minitab at the moment, but there should be a GRAPHS button where you can check the graphs that you want. I think the Half Normal plot is the default, but you can change it under Options.

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Re: DOE with various levels

I played a round a little in Minitab and think I found the problem.

If you do a single trial at every setting AND analyze every interaction, then you run out of degrees of freedom. There are a two fairly simple solutions you can try:

• get rid of the A*B*C interaction from the analysis (you can also get rid of of some of the 2-factor interactions if you have good reason to expect they are not going to be significant).
  • run some of the trials again - for example repeat the center point a few times and add the results as lines 46, 47, ...
Either of these should allow the analysis to proceed.

Hope that will help you get the answers you want from your DOE!

Tim F

M

mayor

Thanks Tim.

I took out the 3 factor interaction and the residual plots now look good, but I still can't find the pareto chart showing the significant factors/interactions. In my orginal design I put in 5 repeats of a center point (so the DOE had 50 trials) but still could not get a good plot. I am not sure if I understand how to determine the degrees of freedom and how to use that when laying out/analyzing the design.

Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
N DOE (design of experiments) in Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
P When can we apply DOE (Design of Experiments)? Six Sigma 8
P Cyclic Effect Factoring in DOE (Design of Experiments) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
J How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 5
K Minitab Lack-of-Fit Test in DOE (Design of Experiments) Using Minitab Software 4
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
C 3 Factor DOE (Design of Experiments) Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
L DOE (Design of Experiments) suggestions Using Minitab Software 7
L DOE (Design of Experiments) - Analyse Variation with Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
E 5^2 DOE (Design of Experiments) with 3 Replications, 5 Levels 2 Factors Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M DOE (Design of Experiments) for 3 Variables, Many Levels Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
J DOE (Design of Experiments) Dependent Factors Using Minitab Software 1
C DOE (Design of Experiments) with 'Uncontrollable' Factors Using Minitab Software 5
Q DOE (Design of Experiments) for Accounting - New to Minitab need help Using Minitab Software 5
M DOE (Design of Experiments) - CQE Primer question Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
C Training courses for DOE (Design of Experiments) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
P Taguchi method using Minitab - DOE (Design of Experiments) Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
S Sample Size Attribute DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 9
M Excel files for DOE (Design of Experiments) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
T Minitab - Mixture DOE (Design of Experiments) - Sandability of a Gelcoat Using Minitab Software 5
R Custom DOE (Design of Experiments) Analysis in JMP Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
P Need help on DOE (Design of Experiments) - EPS molding process Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Good books on DOE (Design of Experiments) - Recommendations wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
T Design of Experiments - DOE with Centre Point Using Minitab Software 7
Q Design of Experiments Using Subgroup Data - Conducting a 2^3 factorial DoE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
T Screening DOE (Design of Experiments) with qualitative response Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 23
A The basics of DOE (Design of Experiments) & Validation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Design of Experiments (DOE) - Help with homework problem Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P What if DOE (Design of Experiments) is not possible? Six Sigma 16
J DOE (Design of Experiments) for ultrasonically welding plastic lids Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
C Shainin and DOE (Design of Experiments) Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A DOE - Design of Experiments? What does that mean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P DOE (Design of Experiments) or Hypothesis test? Applicability and use of each? Six Sigma 6
T DOE (Design of Experiments) for Powder Coating Thickness Six Sigma 9
Tim Folkerts Do you DOE? Use of "Design of Experiments" Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 35
F DOE (Design of Experiments) Help: Montgomery's Industrial Engineering book Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
A DOE - Design of Experiments - Shainin Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
C Seeking Help: Design of Experiments - DOE Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Selecting factors for screening DoE design Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
D Minitab - Design combinations (DOE) Using Minitab Software 4
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3
B Analyze 'Factorial Design' or 'Variability' - Difference when used for DOE Analysis? Using Minitab Software 1
R To Find Out Second Order Model from First Order Factorial Design (DOE) Using Minitab Software 9
B Validation of DoE (Design of Experiements) Model - Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 3
C DoE and ANOVA - 4 factor and 3 levels Taguchi design with 2 replicates Using Minitab Software 14