DOE: Significant factor or not

M

Michel Saad

Hi.

I am looking at a 2x2 DOE. When I analyze it, I have no terms that are significant. I then analyze again by removing the interaction term to see the R squared and the term A is now significant and I have 99.7% R squared.

How can a term be non-significant and them become significant by analyzing less terms?

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
When you reduce your model by removing the non-significant interaction term, the degrees of freedom and variance attributable to that term are reallocated to the residual error, which is used to test the significance of the remaining model terms. The additional degrees of freedom make this test more powerful meaning it is better able to detect real effects.

You can further reduce your model by removing the B term as well. This would improve the predictive ability of your model.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Screening DOE with 7 Input factors and 4 responses - Significant factors Using Minitab Software 1
R 4 Factors 3 Level DOE to determine which factors are significant Using Minitab Software 2
V Identifying Significant Factors - Regression Analysis vs Correlation vs ANOVA vs DOE Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
J Selecting factors for screening DoE design Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Including Repeats in DoE using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
J DoE - Number of runs in Plackett-Burman (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 2
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
I DOE: High variance and small effects in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M I have 3 different factors - DOE help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
R Is there any Excel .xls Spreadsheet available for DOE with 3 factors? Six Sigma 1
N DOE (design of experiments) in Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
D Interpretation of DOE interaction plot Using Minitab Software 8
D Minitab - Design combinations (DOE) Using Minitab Software 4
C DOE - How to determine optimal settings and transposing data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
N 3 factor - 3 level experiment with DoE and Minitab Using Minitab Software 10
P When can we apply DOE (Design of Experiments)? Six Sigma 8
S DOE Analysis - Experiments with 5 Factors Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
R [Minitab] DOE Output vs. Actual Data Using Minitab Software 6
S Blocking In a DOE Six Sigma 1
P Screening DOE: A coming up headache story Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Y Please help me solve a DOE problem - New Minitab User Using Minitab Software 36
P Cyclic Effect Factoring in DOE (Design of Experiments) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
V Analysing Results after DOE Using Minitab Software 1
V Analysis of DOE Results and Model Finalization Using Minitab Software 4
J How to Estimate the Number of Replicates on a DOE (Design of Experiments) Six Sigma 5
K Minitab Lack-of-Fit Test in DOE (Design of Experiments) Using Minitab Software 4
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
Z A DOE in Minitab - 3 factors and 3 levels for each factor Using Minitab Software 12
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
V Linking the FMEA Causes & Action Plan with DOE Experiments or Experimentation Design FMEA and Control Plans 1
B DOE Question: 3 factors with 2 levels and 1 factor with 3 levels Six Sigma 2
Z Help with running 3 factor DOE factor optimization Using Minitab Software 2
H Minitab DOE Analysis of Data and Transforming Using Minitab Software 4
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
C 3 Factor DOE (Design of Experiments) Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P How to analyze DOE: 2 Factor, 4 Level Experiment Six Sigma 7
J DOE Analysis Experiment, 5 factors, 4 factors having 3 levels, and 1 factor having 5 Using Minitab Software 38
B Analyze 'Factorial Design' or 'Variability' - Difference when used for DOE Analysis? Using Minitab Software 1
L DOE (Design of Experiments) suggestions Using Minitab Software 7
L DOE (Design of Experiments) - Analyse Variation with Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
E 5^2 DOE (Design of Experiments) with 3 Replications, 5 Levels 2 Factors Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
R To Find Out Second Order Model from First Order Factorial Design (DOE) Using Minitab Software 9
B Which type of DOE was likely used for this transfer function? Six Sigma 4
T Taguchi DOE Analysis - What S/N ratio (Nominal is best or smaller is better) to use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5