Does 17025/NADCAP allow deferring Calibration Start Dates on Gages which are Stored?

M

MMM2010

This topic has come up before but it looks like it has been a few years back. I also have a new spin on it. We have an internal procedure which allows for certain equipment to have the calibration start date extended upon issuing of the equipment in service. Examples are Pressure gages, Dew Point Meters, flukes..etc. The purpose is to compensate for long lead times for calibration by outside 3rd parties. Like many posts here, we keep spares meters or gages which we issue when expired meters or gages are pulled out of service. We store these in locked and controlled environments, and the type of equipment should not change or degrade during storage. This has been no issue as an AS 9100 registered organization.

However, we are now delving into NADCAP, and specifically NADCAP for heat treat and MTL testing (ISO 17025) in support of heat treat. I am new to NADCAP and not an expert. We have an M&P Engineer who has worked in a NADCAP enviornement who insists that this practice is not allowed by NADCAP. According to our new expert, NADCAP AC7101, AC7102, AC7006, and ISO 17025 all supercede AS9100. It is their interpretation that the requirements are more stringent than AS9100, and as a result the practice of extending the start date for calibrated equipment is strictly prohibitied per ISO 17025 and the NADCAP standards.

Needless to say my inexperience with NADCAP requirements, and this individuals interpretation of NADCAP requirements, are in conflict with our established AS9100 QMS.

We are really struggling with how to roll all of these new NADCAP and ISO 17025 requirements into our exisitng AS9100 established organization. My fear is that this individual is basically interpreting a need to have parallel quality management systems for AS9100, ISO 17025, and NADCAP. It does not make since to me that this is the intent of all these standards.

I am hoping the mebers of this community can give me some insight on the acceptability of this practice in terms of NADCAP/17025.
I do plan on obtaining outside training to bridge my lack of experience, if anyone has a good recommendation on where to obtain that training/education in the Los Angeles area it would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Does 17025/NADCAP allow deferring Calibration Start Dates on Gages which are Stor

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

A

andygr

Re: Does 17025/NADCAP allow deferring Calibration Start Dates on Gages which are Stor

M&P Engineer who has worked in a NADCAP enviornement who insists that this practice is not allowed by NADCAP. According to our new expert, NADCAP AC7101, AC7102, AC7006, and ISO 17025 all supercede AS9100. It is their interpretation that the requirements are more stringent than AS9100, and as a result the practice of extending the start date for calibrated equipment is strictly prohibitied per ISO 17025 and the NADCAP standards.
:confused:

You should ask your "expert" to show you where in the AC documents or even the ISO that this is stated. Nadcap does not get into in any of this type of detail.
What your expert might be "interperting" is in table 1 AMS 2750 to say that this practice is not allowed. No where in this document does it state this.
IF your storage procedures are clearly defined and followed and the historical calibration data shows that they are approprate there is no reason that you can not follow the practice you have in place as long as it is a documented part of your calibration procedure. What you will not be able to sell is if you "cycle" a unit in and out of an active status. Once in use the unit starts its calibration cycle.

Since you are looking to get NADCAP approval for HT I can recomend the PRI course Introduction to Pyrometry which is in Torrance, CA 14-15 February 2013
here is a link
http://www.equalearn.com/learncenter.asp?id=178409
:2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

This topic has come up before but it looks like it has been a few years back. I also have a new spin on it. We have an internal procedure which allows for certain equipment to have the calibration start date extended upon issuing of the equipment in service. Examples are Pressure gages, Dew Point Meters, flukes..etc. The purpose is to compensate for long lead times for calibration by outside 3rd parties. Like many posts here, we keep spares meters or gages which we issue when expired meters or gages are pulled out of service. We store these in locked and controlled environments, and the type of equipment should not change or degrade during storage. This has been no issue as an AS 9100 registered organization.

However, we are now delving into NADCAP, and specifically NADCAP for heat treat and MTL testing (ISO 17025) in support of heat treat. I am new to NADCAP and not an expert. We have an M&P Engineer who has worked in a NADCAP enviornement who insists that this practice is not allowed by NADCAP. According to our new expert, NADCAP AC7101, AC7102, AC7006, and ISO 17025 all supercede AS9100. It is their interpretation that the requirements are more stringent than AS9100, and as a result the practice of extending the start date for calibrated equipment is strictly prohibitied per ISO 17025 and the NADCAP standards.

Needless to say my inexperience with NADCAP requirements, and this individuals interpretation of NADCAP requirements, are in conflict with our established AS9100 QMS.

We are really struggling with how to roll all of these new NADCAP and ISO 17025 requirements into our exisitng AS9100 established organization. My fear is that this individual is basically interpreting a need to have parallel quality management systems for AS9100, ISO 17025, and NADCAP. It does not make since to me that this is the intent of all these standards.

I am hoping the mebers of this community can give me some insight on the acceptability of this practice in terms of NADCAP/17025.
I do plan on obtaining outside training to bridge my lack of experience, if anyone has a good recommendation on where to obtain that training/education in the Los Angeles area it would be appreciated.
AS9100C states that you shall define the frequency of checks. It goes on again to say that you shall calibrate or verify (or both) at specified intervals.

A device that has not been calibrated or verified for longer than the specified time frame is considered unacceptable for use in providing evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements.

There is no ambiguity or conflicting requirements; I'm in agreement with your colleague. NADCAP/ISO 17025 certainly do not have requirements that allow relaxation of the points made in AS9100C.

A

andygr

"AS9100C states that you shall define the frequency of checks. It goes on again to say that you shall calibrate or verify (or both) at specified intervals."

What it does says is:
The organization shall maintain a register of the monitoring and measuring equipment and define the process employed for their calibration/verification including details of equipment type, unique identification, location,
frequency of checks, check method and acceptance criteria

a) be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable tointernational or national measurement standards; where no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be recorded (see 4.2.4);

e) be protected from damage and deterioration during handling, maintenance and storage.

ISO 17025 states
5.10.4.4 A calibration certificate (or calibration label) shall not contain any recommendation on the calibration interval except where this has been agreed with the customer. This requirement may be superseded by legal regulations.

No where is is stated that you can not properly store a calibrated piece of equipment and start it calibration cycle at the point it is put into service. This condition is solely based on the specific instrument and its stability in the conditions it it exposed to.
You may need to maintain a calibration cycle even if a unit is in storage based on data but no where is it stated that you have to.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

"AS9100C states that you shall define the frequency of checks. It goes on again to say that you shall calibrate or verify (or both) at specified intervals."

What it does says is:
The organization shall maintain a register of the monitoring and measuring equipment and define the process employed for their calibration/verification including details of equipment type, unique identification, location,
frequency of checks, check method and acceptance criteria.

a) be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable tointernational or national measurement standards; where no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be recorded (see 4.2.4);

e) be protected from damage and deterioration during handling, maintenance and storage.

ISO 17025 states
5.10.4.4 A calibration certificate (or calibration label) shall not contain any recommendation on the calibration interval except where this has been agreed with the customer. This requirement may be superseded by legal regulations.

No where is is stated that you can not properly store a calibrated piece of equipment and start it calibration cycle at the point it is put into service. This condition is solely based on the specific instrument and its stability in the conditions it it exposed to.
You may need to maintain a calibration cycle even if a unit is in storage based on data but no where is it stated that you have to.

As I stated: A device that has not been calibrated or verified for longer than the specified time frame is considered unacceptable for use in providing evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements.

Now, if you calibrate that nonconforming tool prior to use, it's no longer unacceptable, is it?

And all the 17025 clause is getting at is what's entered on the cert or sticker; you can enter a cal date, but you can't enter a next cal due date (with exceptions); the next cal date is entirely dependent on use, the organization, possible tool failure etc.

D

dv8shane

We have an internal procedure which allows for certain equipment to have the calibration start date extended upon issuing of the equipment in service. Examples are Pressure gages, Dew Point Meters, flukes..etc.
This works if you are not following an assigned standard for pyrometry such as AMS2750D for customer requirements. In this case it becomes a requirement to a specific standard, the intervals and allowed extensions are very specific. There are many items detailed in the standard that are not requirements of 17025 or AS9100 but are required by AMS2750D.

We have an M&P Engineer who has worked in a NADCAP enviornement who insists that this practice is not allowed by NADCAP. According to our new expert, NADCAP AC7101, AC7102, AC7006, and ISO 17025 all supercede AS9100. It is their interpretation that the requirements are more stringent than AS9100, and as a result the practice of extending the start date for calibrated equipment is strictly prohibitied per ISO 17025 and the NADCAP standards.
Under 17025 you can extend the calibration interval with sufficient proof and documentation. Under AMS2750D the standard NADCAP uses as a base line there are specific amounts of time that you may increase the interval of testing or calibration.

Yes you may have to do this in order to comply with your customer requirements. I currently operate under a QMS with AS9100 and ISO17025 integrated as the basis and do pyrometry under AMS2750D per customer requirements

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator

First of all, I'm not an expert in this topic.

Just wanted to share a thought and associated question....

What about a case where an interval is a "usage" interval? That is, define the calibration due date based on number of months/weeks/etc. of usage. This would certainly have to be supported with proper historical data. We have customers who use usage intervals on high temperature thermocouple sensors, as the degradation in performance is caused by exposure to the high temperatures.

Just a thought to see what the consensus is in this.

BradM

Leader
Admin

I would consider defining the calibration interval as the time which the device is actually in use. As long as you aren't having calibration failures, I would think that is acceptable.

Do you have the ability to verify any of these instruments in-house?

I would clarify this issue with your NADCAP auditor as to your approach and why you wish to approach it that way.

AMS 2750 is a very inflexible document, and IMHO, not a good standard for enforcing calibration requirements. But... as long as one wants to play in the NADCAP industry, it is the law. :)

TrivialSublime

Involved In Discussions

Hello MMM2010,
We are NADCAP accredited for Heat Treat. We have what is called a 'captive' Heat Treat shop.
We also have written into our system the set a due date upon issuance of calibrated equipment since Z540 has no requirement against it and ISO 17025 only mentions it as a customer requirement. This existed long before our company went to NADCAP (2004)
That being said, when it comes to instrumentation, AMS 2750D is quite clear (Table 3)as well as a couple of other sections, 3.2.6.2 which states among other things that a " due date of the next calibration" is required on a calibration report.
Keep in mind quite a few of the primes defer to AMS 2750 as the governing pyrometry specification when it comes to their heat treats specs. The exception I deal with is Boeing which has either BAC 5621 or DPS 1.700 as pyrometry specs that you must be complaint to if you are doing heat treating for Boeing.
If you do anything like BAC 5602 I strongly urge you to make sure you are compliant to BAC 5621 and also that you read very closely specific and implied requirements in that document concerning TUS.
As someone said in another post, if you are working in the NADCAP universe which the primes have created for us (yay, not!) you must be complaint to AMS 2750 as a minimum. And whoa be those that try to argue a logical interpretation of a specification when it comes to a NADCAP Staff Engineer, you will unfortunately lose...
Sign me a veteran of the NADCAP accreditation wars (including multiple Purple Hearts)
:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Does Calibration to ISO/IEC 17025 conform to Z540.3? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F Does United Kingdom (UK) follow ISO 17025 and ISO 17020? ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
D Does 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment align with ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J What point does the Accreditation begin in the process? ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Does ISO/IEC 17025:2005 require the Laboratory to have separate ISO 9001 Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
K Status of ISO 17025 (Next Revision, Which Committee does it?) ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S ISO 17025 Quality Manual - How elaborate does the quality manual have to be? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G Does ISO 17025 and Z540-3 cover all the elements of ISO 10012? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
G Does ISO 17025 Cover the elements in MIL-STD-45662A? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
A When purchasing gauges does the OEM need to be accredited to 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
A Sampling - What does it mean by Sampling in ISO:IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C Does 17025 apply to my company? Testing for the pulp and paper industry ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J Sampling Definition I.A.W. 17025 - Does sampling apply to calibration laboratories? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B Calibration Certificates - Does 17025 require that all 'As Found' data be recorded? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
R Does ISO/IEC 17025 supersede ANSI/NCSL Z540 ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Does ISO 17025 Require Point By Point Measurement Uncertainty on Reports? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
B Chemical Analysis: Does ISO 'Accredit' Materials Labs? ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
V Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
A Does anybody have an audit check list for ISO/IEC 17025 to replace ISO/IEC Guide 25 ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
G Does anyone know about tobacco-free nicotine pouches? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M How does FDA determine OAI and VAI after inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
N FPY requested for an industry that does not have rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Ajit Basrur Does "Refurbishment" fall under "Service"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
I Does BSI require suppliers to be ISO 9001 Certified? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Watchcat Does Regulatory Affairs put the "no" in innovation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Does anyone know what this call out means? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H Does anyone has feedback on a notified body for small companies? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 19
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3