Does an Audit Schedule have to be a Controlled Document?

D

Don Watt

Does an audit schedule have to be a controlled document?
e.g. at the start of the year I produce a schedule / plan of the internal audits expected to be conducted throughout the year.
As time progresses various revisions may be needed to include additional audits arising from quality problems or to re-arrange audits to allow for new requirements to be effectively introduced.
Does the initial plan need to be at revision level 1 and each amendment to plan included at an incremented revision level?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wpbudd

My audit schedule is controlled. However, the controlled part is the form number not the actual data. My work instruction states that updates may be necessary. Again, only the form in control not the information, since said information may change at a give time.

D

David Mullins

No the audit schedule does not have to be a controlled document.

The auditor may well expect a date on the schedule to signify the status/currency. They may also ask who gets the schedule.
How often is it updated.

The important thing is that the schedule complies with what your procedure says.

Cheers.

------------------

M

matthew evans - 2002

Are you mad. Of course an audit plan is a controlled document. The point about the schedule being updated to include additional audits is covered by simply having a note at the bottom of the plan stating that additional audits can be carried out and a mark being put onto the audit plan. The blank audit schedule should have a form number and a revision status for the blank form only. The completed schedule only requires the year as an heading.

J

John C

Matthew Evans,
The use of numbers and revisions is optional, being only the conventional, and not the only possible, method of control. When numbers and revs are used, they apply only to procedures and forms and will be applicable, of course, to the procedure which describes the planning and implementation of the internal audit. The actual schedule is not a procedure. It may be on a form but there is nothing in the Standard to say that it must be. Basically, a schedule (by definition) is only an ordered list - not necessarily a dated list. It can be on the back of a postcard for all that it matters, or it could be only a verbal agreement.

In fact, the second paragraph of 4.17 (the only mention of scheduling in the Standard) gives us leeway to initiate or postpone audits according to perceived need rather than use a dated list. (This relates to the flexibility to changes in circumstances mentioned by David and Lurker above) For example; I can imagine an organisation where the decision to hold, or not hold an internal audit, is made at Management Review, depending on the current situation and imminent events. This method might have become the conventional approach from the time the first edition of ISO 9001 was introduced, had most of us not already become bound by the chains of bureaucracy. There is nothing in the Standard to prevent this approach and it has a lot to commend it. It would align the implementation of ISO 9001 more closely with Deming, particularly regards items; 2,3,5 and 7 of his 14 Points For Management and conform to Shonberger’s advice to eliminate waste throughout the organisation.
In such a case, the minutes of the meeting, filed anyway as the quality record of Management Review, would provide both the schedule and the quality record of scheduling. (Note; the control of quality records is a different subject entirely)

Please don’t hesitate to call me mad, if that is what you think, but be sure to tell me where I’m wrong, and don’t let it be just your opinion; back it up with evidence from your experience and, most of all, evidence taken directly from ISO 9001 since that is the document under consideration and furthering of our understanding of compliance with that document is the object of these discussions. Whatever else we get from these discussions, we all want to learn.
Respectfully yours,
John C

I would regard the schedule as a record.

We use an Access application to run our entire audit process. That includes reports, checklists and schedule as well as follow ups. Once a year we enter the audit schedule, print it out and sign it.

This application also sends the audit plan to our intranet. Any changes or additions to the plan is relayed to the intranet.

Our procedures refer to the application.

Claes Gefvenberg

[This message has been edited by Claes Gefvenberg (edited 22 June 2000).]

D

David Mullins

It's amazing what happens when you remove the blinkers and look at how the standard (any standard or system model for that matter) can be applied to best suit an organisation, and still be compliant. For those people who are establishing a new quality management system, I would say: don't make the hurdles too high from day one, make them achievable and then progressively improve the system, thus raising the bar.
I enjoy my open mind, my ability to conceptualize, and being just a little bit mad (well let's call it eccentric).
Cheers.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by David Mullins:
It's amazing what happens when you remove the blinkers and look at how the standard (any standard or system model for that matter) can be applied to best suit an organisation, and still be compliant. For those people who are establishing a new quality management system, I would say: don't make the hurdles too high from day one, make them achievable and then progressively improve the system, thus raising the bar.
Think INTENT in my opinion.

S

Steven Truchon

Yikes!
I hope the schedule is not supposed to be controlled. I dont recall ever recognizing it as needing to be. For me its a method of easily organizing my year and it always changes as I go. After its all said and done I do keep the final revision as a record along with a time account for all of my auditors for qualification and costing purposes.
Maybe its late right now, or my lobotomy scar has opened up accidentally, but anyone please explain why would it require doc control?
Thanks

A

AJPaton

Steven,

Glad you asked that question. Our last audit had an observation that we should show how audits are re-scheduled. I went back to the standard, and . . .

"The supplier shall establish and maintain documented procedures for planning and implementing internal quality audits to verify whether quality activities and related results comply with *PLANNED* arrangements...

This is where our auditor must have gotten his observation, and may be where the talk of controlling the schedule comes from.

AJP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
C Does anyone have an example of an ISO 14001 Internal Audit Schedule ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R Internal audit schedules - Where does it say that I need an annual schedule? Internal Auditing 13
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
A What does a good business practice Process Audit look like for AS9100D? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
JoshuaFroud Saudi Arabia - Insistence on a signed NB audit report (When one does not exist) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 15
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Does this look like a Process Audit? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
A Does anyone have a SW (LIMS) Vendor Audit Checklist? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
J Does TS 16949 audit replacement parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C How long does AS9100 QMS need to be in place before the Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
P Does a 'recommended' additional Audit need to be conducted? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
V What does your Internal Audit Reveal? Internal Auditing 10
K Does an Internal Audit provide Objective or Subjective Verification? Internal Auditing 14
K Does this qualify as an Internal Audit? Internal Auditing 8
D Internal Audit Frequency - What does "at Planned Intervals" mean? Internal Auditing 14
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
C How long does it take to get the ISO 9001 certificate after passing the audit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 21
D NADCAP Audit - No work in house - How does a NADCAP auditor audit the process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Adding Value to a 3rd Party Audit - What does 'Value Added' mean to you? General Auditing Discussions 25
6 Management Review does not highlight Internal Audit Finding - Root Cause Analysis General Auditing Discussions 11
T Traceability SOP Audit Finding - SOP does not describe the extent of the traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Audit and Calibration question - does verification alone meet the requirements? General Auditing Discussions 5
S Does anyone know if ISO publishes audit findings/results much like the FDA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Ajit Basrur Does anyone have a Cleanroom audit checklist? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M Does Anybody have an ISO 22000 internal audit checklist for sharing? Internal Auditing 11
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
J Does a Lead Auditor need to be present at an audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M The Customer does not Audit to their own Supplier Quality Manual General Auditing Discussions 16
M Does the Head of the Department being audited have the right to amend audit report? General Auditing Discussions 15
G Does ISO 9001 Audit fit in within the Corporate Internal Audit department? Internal Auditing 31
B Does Your Organization Need Free Audits or Do You Need Audit Experience? General Auditing Discussions 7
Howard Atkins What does the internal audit procedure for TS 16949 need to include? Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 7
S Does anyone have a layered audit checklist they can share? General Auditing Discussions 2
R Procedure does not adequately identify quality records - Audit Minor NC - Why? General Auditing Discussions 8
J Process Audit recommendation within ISO TS 16949? Does it exist like in VDA? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 18
T 3rd party audit time - Does working lunch count as audit time? General Auditing Discussions 66
J Does anybody have an audit checklist focused on Manufacturing processes? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Q Internal Audit Questions - Does anyone have sample questions for Management Internal Auditing 16
K Layered Audit Checklist - Does anyone have an example? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Process FMEA Scope - Does PFMEA cover Incoming (Receiving) Inspection & Dock Audit? FMEA and Control Plans 8
Paul Simpson Does your External Audit reflect your business systems? General Auditing Discussions 40
A Does anybody have an audit check list for ISO/IEC 17025 to replace ISO/IEC Guide 25 ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
J Does the system audit have to be done to remain in compliance? General Auditing Discussions 8