Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025?

V

Valente Moreno

Hi, I wrote element 4.11 policies, SOPs and trained calib. technicians on them in a manufacturing company in my last job, and I want to update myself on Calibration matters.

Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? or is this only for external laboratories?
Does the calibration management software have to be certified also?

I would appreciate any additional information you can tell me about it.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

... Your questions

...Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? or is this only for external laboratories?

Depends, who are your major customers?

...Does the calibration management software have to be certified also?

I'm not sure abour certified, but it has to be verified to ensure that the outgoing data is correct.

MHO

ASD...

G

Graeme

Originally posted by Valente Moreno:

Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? or is this only for external laboratories?
Does the calibration management software have to be certified also?
In my opinion, an internal calibration lab (one that does not take work from customers outside the parent company) does not need to be accredited to ISO 17025. You may desire it, or an important customer may require it. But actually doing it or not is a business decision. However, that lab should consider having their transfer standards calibrated by an accredited laboratory wherever possible.

ISO 17025 is a lot of work beyond the requirements of ISO 9001. You have to weigh the cost and effort against the expected benefits.

"Calibration Management Software" ... exactly what do you mean by that? Is this a database program that keeps the inventory, history and recall schedule? Or are you talking about software that controls the measurement systems and/or makes calculations that contribute to the result of a calibration? The first type is a "gray area"; it may or may not need to be validated. The second type almost certainly does need to be validated in some way.

R

Ryan Wilde

Originally posted by Graeme:
"Calibration Management Software" ... exactly what do you mean by that? Is this a database program that keeps the inventory, history and recall schedule? Or are you talking about software that controls the measurement systems and/or makes calculations that contribute to the result of a calibration? The first type is a "gray area"; it may or may not need to be validated. The second type almost certainly does need to be validated in some way.

I agree with Graeme on this, it depends. If the calibration management software has anything to do with 'data integrity', it must be validated. 17025 is specific on this, if it affects the calibration data, then it MUST be validated.

As for the rest of it, more full agreement with Graeme. 'I concur'

Ryan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S Does anyone have any pointers on TS 16949 Internal Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Does ISO 9001 *require* that Internal Audits be Process Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V What does your Internal Audit Reveal? Internal Auditing 10
K Does an Internal Audit provide Objective or Subjective Verification? Internal Auditing 14
K Does this qualify as an Internal Audit? Internal Auditing 8
D Internal Audit Frequency - What does "at Planned Intervals" mean? Internal Auditing 14
K How does an Internal Auditor document non-ethical or illegal practices Internal Auditing 10
C Does anyone have an example of an ISO 14001 Internal Audit Schedule ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S What does "Operational Review" mean as tool - Effectiveness of Internal Control Risk Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
6 Management Review does not highlight Internal Audit Finding - Root Cause Analysis General Auditing Discussions 11
H Does internal ppm include defects produced while adjusting the machine? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
M Does Anybody have an ISO 22000 internal audit checklist for sharing? Internal Auditing 11
D Does TS 16949 require us to have an internal laboratory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Does ISO 9001 Audit fit in within the Corporate Internal Audit department? Internal Auditing 31
A Does Your Organization Really Benefit from Internal Audits? Time for a Change? Internal Auditing 149
Howard Atkins What does the internal audit procedure for TS 16949 need to include? Clause 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 7
A Does anyone conduct opening & closing meetings for their internal audits? Internal Auditing 19
K Lead Internal Auditor Training - Does the lead auditor require additional training? Internal Auditing 6
Q Internal Audit Questions - Does anyone have sample questions for Management Internal Auditing 16
I Internal Auditor Training - Does TS 16949 Require Formal Training or Certification? Internal Auditing 19
M Internal Quality Auditor vs. QMS Lead Auditor - How much $ does each make? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
Stuart Andrews Does ISO 9001:2000 require Internal Auditors to take a Lead Auditors course? Internal Auditing 2
R Internal audit schedules - Where does it say that I need an annual schedule? Internal Auditing 13
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4